Asylum Greencard Passport not stamped

I had GC interview 40 days ago and still no response letter from the officer or USCIS.

I said yes to few of them like if i got arrested or received gov assistance.

My arrests were misdemenior but no convictions or defered programs.
only arrest records.

I will make infopass and call USCIS if i don't receive any response after 20 more days.

while i was leaving from office the IO gave me the record of sworn statement which were two pages and returned my passport and i-94 without stamped and as i mentioned above she just told me i would be recieved the decison in between 60-90 days. She added that i was definite asylee and not need stamp on my passport and if i get my green card,not need passport either. while we had interview there was no extraordianry questions just like askin my name, nationality and so and she made 7 changes like address i-94 numbers marital status....

Any other have any other idea or experience,

Do you have any idea why they interviewed you? They don't normally interview asylees for AOS.

that is why i got suprised! because even my wife got same case but totally separete and she just got stamped in a minute without talkin one word! he just asked her passport and stamped and returned! after 2 weeks she got her greencard!

i got same exact interview paper so i got my passport and IO invited me to her room and started to ask me general questions. after all i asked the stamped she replied back i do not need,

If you an asylee, you should not use your passport anymore, since you cannot avail yourself to the protection of the country from which you've requested asylum. You have to apply for a Refugee Travel Document to use instead of your passport until you become a U.S. citizen.

They do not stamp your passport because they have not approved your green card application yet and because you should not use that passport anyway.
In your wife's case they approved her case right at the interview, that's why she got the stamp. She actually should have had her Refugee Travel Document stamped not her old passport.

If you travel abroad with your old passport and then come back to the U.S. it can be a problem. The last page of the passport usually says that the carrier of this document is under the protection of so and so country. When you ask for political asylum, it means that your country persecuted your - it is like your enemy. How can you then use the passport issued by the government that persecuted you?

Last edited by a moderator:
I had GC interview 40 days ago and still no response letter from the officer or USCIS.

I said yes to few of them like if i got arrested or received gov assistance.

My arrests were misdemenior but no convictions or defered programs.
only arrest records.

I will make infopass and call USCIS if i don't receive any response after 20 more days.

It is probably a background check issue, it might take quite some time, like a few months.

If you an asylee, you should not use your passport anymore, since you cannot avail yourself to the protection of the country from which you've requested asylum. You have to apply for a Refugee Travel Document to use instead of your passport until you become a U.S. citizen.

They do not stamp your passport because they have not approved your green card application yet and because you should not use that passport anyway.
In your wife's case they approved her case right at the interview, that's why she got the stamp. She actually should have had her Refugee Travel Document stamped not her old passport.

If you travel abroad with your old passport and then come back to the U.S. it can be a problem. The last page of the passport usually says that the carrier of this document is under the protection of so and so country. When you ask for political asylum, it means that your country persecuted your - it is like your enemy. How can you then use the passport issued by the government that persecuted you?

logically you seem right but in reality when they sent you interview paper they ask your Passport from your orgin country. And my wife got stamped on that original passport even like me we bought lost our passport and renewed from our embassy and it took just 1 minute interview without any question asked stamped her passport and got her GC in 3 weeks. As i mentioned our cases are totally seperate and she got her case approved from immigration office, me from court. once again at interview IO just asked me ordinary questions.

Hm... renewing your passport before you get your GC seems not a good idea. Even after GC some people say don't do it. But before... They say bring whatever passport you have. You could have simply said you had lost it if you did. But may it not the case at all.

I would be really carefull but like i said my wife and also her mother and at least 10 people i know got their passport stamped that way! no question asked. took just 1 nibute also some of them visited their country with travel document! after all they did have any problem and got their GC. might be the law changed or something else i do not know but those are what i saw and know.

Also the interview paper says ' if you donot have a Passport, contact with your embassy and get a new one before interview!'

Really? This is defenetely something new.

Some people say that we cannot renew passport that even after we get a Green card.

Oh, and by the way, to get a new passport you have to show your valid US visa. You cannot show your white card with asylum stamp, right?

Really? This is defenetely something new.

Some people say that we cannot renew passport that even after we get a Green card.

Oh, and by the way, to get a new passport you have to show your valid US visa. You cannot show your white card with asylum stamp, right?

for my country you just tell them you lost your passport and renew it! even if tell them you got asylum they do not care! they help you anyway. but once again the interview paper says you have to have issued passport from your country

I would be really carefull but like i said my wife and also her mother and at least 10 people i know got their passport stamped that way! no question asked. took just 1 nibute also some of them visited their country with travel document! after all they did have any problem and got their GC. might be the law changed or something else i do not know but those are what i saw and know.

Also the interview paper says ' if you donot have a Passport, contact with your embassy and get a new one before interview!'

That is a standard notice for all GC applicants, whether family based, employment based, etc. Asylee should not renew their passports. Of course, U.S. government cannot tell you don't do it, since it is up to you. But if you do it, they will assume that you do not fear persecution anymore. Again, there could be many reasons why they scrutinize your case, not just the passport issue.

But look, Alena - we read what they send us and follow the instructions. We don't have to do second guess or ask someone on forum. Paper from USCIS is a document.

If this paper really explicitly says - renew your passport, how he supposed to know that he should not do it? Any judge would support this.

I know, it is not fair to immigrants. Asylum cases are so convoluted and there are so many nuances to them that you really have to know a lot about immigration law not to mess your case up.
There is another thing that, I think is really unfair. If someone is in removal proceedings and by the time of hearing the fingerprints have expired (they expire in 1,5 years) then his case will be rescheduled and delayed for another 6 months. The Court does not send you a fingerprint notice, and you cannot hold it against them. They say it is your responsibility to know the law.

Keep this notice with you. If later they question about your renewing, tell them that you have due process problem.

That is a standard notice for all GC applicants, whether family based, employment based, etc. Asylee should not renew their passports. Of course, U.S. government cannot tell you don't do it, since it is up to you. But if you do it, they will assume that you do not fear persecution anymore. Again, there could be many reasons why they scrutinize your case, not just the passport issue.

again logically you seem right! but your country never know you have 'asylum case' and USA never tell them you have asylee either! So you could contact with your embassy and tell them you should renew your passport! so my wife and at least 10 people i know did the same exact thing! they got new passport and got stamped too! also some of them visited their country while waiting for their GC with 'travel document' so i do not think there is any trick here! and tha is why the interview paper says 'you have to have issued passport from your embassy!'

So far what i understood is we have to wait at least 60 days to get something from Immigration office! i called uscis and tell me 'just wait and if you dont hear anything from us after 120 days!!!! give us a call back'

i am an asylee approved from immigration court by judge and applied green card on feb 2007 and on april 2nd 2009(a week ago) i got an interview. She asked me genral question and gave me 2 papers of interview. She didnot stamp my passport and she said i donot need it i am indefinit asylee. We'll send you decision between 60 to 90 days. After i read this forum people talkin about 2-3 weeks to get their greencard after interview. is there anything wrong with may case? honestly i was 1 hour late and really nervous while at interview. i could not ask any question. could anyone know about this and gimme good news?

my wife ia a derivative, she had an GC interview, she was approved within 15 minutes interview and her her NP got stamped immediately