Asylum decision, Should we ask Congresswoman for help?

jonny1

Registered Users (C)
My brother's asylum case is stuck and no end inside. He came to US first time in September 2007. He had his asylum interview on Dec 04 2007 and till today it has been 91 days and never received his decision in mail. The asylum office gave him peice of paper that was a decision mail out notice at the end of interview. in the mail out notice, it said his decision would be mailed to his address but never says when or how long it will take them to decide.

We have sent three asylum status inquiry letter to the local asylum office. been sending one letter for each for the 3 months. They sent a letter which has many pre-answered lines for people's asylym status inquiry and the one that was checked marked was our answer and that is (pending for further review or additional review and that's why it's taking longer if nothing happens in 6 months, let us know) that's all it says in thier response mail.

It never seemed like delay was due to backround /security check cos those answer was never checked in thier 3 responses.

He sent another status inquiry letter to asylum office but they sent same response and that is needs additional reveiw and didn't say when it will be decided.

My brother now has expired his tourist visa.

Should we contact our local US Congresswoman to intervene in this matter?
Should he himself write a letter or someone on his behalf like a citizen contact the Congresswoman and ask her t talk to local asylum office about the asylum decision case.

We intend to ask the congresswoman to tell the asylum officer to give my brother a YES/NO decision soon.

Is that a wise idea? Will that work?

You know it's so fraustating cos seems like it's gonna take many more months and years.

We are not damanding a approval soon. We are asking for YES/NO decision.

this might take longer than u think..... there is a lot of people in similar cases that were here way before your brother so be cool and give it a lil time :)
or as wish u may ask Congress to help

good luck

Last edited by a moderator:
My Asylum case was denied and they kept it without sending me the response for like two months. I only discovered that they had long denied my asylum case when it was 150 days and I was about to file for EAD before they send me the denial notice after I had send like two status inquiry letters.

blute, Can you tell me your asylum story in detail?

You said your asylum case was denied by the officer long before and they didn't send you the denial letter even after you sent them two status inquiry letter?

When and how did you get the denial letter? After how many months of asylum interview?

What is written in the denial letter and when was the denial letter dated?

How long it took for you to get the denial letter since you had asylum interview?

You said you sent them two status inquiry letter, What was their response to your status inquiry? How did you get the status inquiry response from asylum office? By mail?

What was written in their response?

Why was your case denied and what did you do after that? What's your case now?

Please share me your expereince and information as detail as possible.

Thank you

This often happens

Dear Jonny1,

I really understand what you feel regarding your brother's asylum case .
Just to let you know that his case is not the only one which requires a long wait, we are all in the same boat man.
My cousin's case is pending for about eight months since he went to the asylum interview.
When an asylum inquiry was sent, the reply was sent back to us stating that the case is still pending.....no details added, that's it.

f you think asking the congresswoman to help, go ahead who knows if it will pay off?

jonny1 I can't tell you my asylum story in detail remember this is a public forum. For all the two inquiries I sent I never received any reply finally I called them when I was about to apply for EAD b4 they told me my case had been denied. I had the interview after 2 weeks they send me a NOID I replied and after 1 week they denied the application and never send me the denial letter. The case was denied in october but they sent the denial letter in december. I applied pro se and now I have left everything in the hands of the lawyer.

how long its take Asylum decision?

I flied my application in Nov. 21 . 2012
fingerprint in December 7. 2012
interview Jan 2 .2013 Chicago office, I live in Michigan
my visa will expire in April 4th my husband visa already expire :(
the interview was good but the office said will mail you the decisions, I got nothing till now. my attorney call them after today which is Feb 25 th they said we so have short staff and its depend on the office who did the interview. it will take a while what does that mean?
we can't work and we are running out of money how we suppose to live does they consider that?

my case it very strong and I can't go back to where I came from. and I had my baby here in Dec.

can I call them and explain my situation or that will hurt my case.

please answer me:confused:

Last edited by a moderator:
My Asylum case was denied and they kept it without sending me the response for like two months. I only discovered that they had long denied my asylum case when it was 150 days and I was about to file for EAD before they send me the denial notice after I had send like two status inquiry letters.

waiting for my asylum decision

i applied for asylum based on my past persecution on sexual orientation and its now 75 days without any decision, does anybody have an idea how long it takes for Chicago office to mail out decision. i am now broke and life is no longer easy as i cannot work just lazy around at home.
application, Nov 12
bio-metrics, Nov 12
interview, Dec 2012
till today march 2 no response from them. and please is there any web site that i can check the status of my application. any contribution or ideas will be appreciated

chuchu1332 and Hiba1983, you are lucky because I applied for my asylum on October 25th,2012, did my biometrics on Nov 7th, but they never called me for an interview.My immigration office is chicago too....I sent them an inquiry letter two months ago , all I got was There are number of times that an immigration officer travels to my local asylum office. NO INTERVIEW YET!
Gud luck with your cases!

@ chuchu1132, you can try and check your status online here: https://egov.uscis.gov/cris/Dashboard.do ,,, I tried mine but doesnt show my case, hopefully yours works...
If not you can always mail them an inquiry letter asking about status of your case, they will respond within a week! Gud luck!

two weeks left until visa expire, I haven't got Asylum decision yet??

I flied my application in Nov. 21 . 2012
fingerprint in December 7. 2012
interview Jan 2 .2013 Chicago office, I live in Michigan
my visa will expire in April 4th my husband visa already expire
the interview was good but the office said will mail you the decisions, I got nothing till now. my attorney call them after today which is Feb 25 th they said we so have short staff and its depend on the office who did the interview. it will take a while what does that mean?
we can't work and we are running out of money how we suppose to live does they consider that?

my case it very strong and I can't go back to where I came from. and I had my baby here in Dec.

can I call them and explain my situation or that will hurt my case.

I send them fax and they send me mail saying your case is pending, if you change your address let us know.... thats all.

please answer me