asylum applying for naturalization with green card that was not backdated

Josh777

Registered Users (C)
Hi! I really need advice. I am a permanent resident granted green card in June, 2006 on a basis of my asylum status. The problem is that my green card was not been backdated for 1 year and indicates the actual date of receiving GC. However, I'd like to apply for naturalization and trying to fill out form N 400 now as in fact i am eligible. Would you please advise me what should I do? - 1. check box D "other" in part 2 and indicate that i am applying on basis of my asylum status indicating article 8 C.F.R. § 209.2(f) and stating that my GC was not backdated. I can also attach some statement and documents proving that i got asylum status 1.5 years before receiving GC. 2. check box A (permanent resident for 5 years or more) and attach explanation letter?
If not one of the above options when what should I do not to wait until the next year?
I will really appreciate any help especially if it comes from the person who had the same situation!
Also would that be a problem if green card holder applying for citizenship will get married for foreign citizen and his/her spouse will not leave US and apply for green card on basis of marriage ?

Hi,
Well we had a similar situation, my sister in law came as an immigrant and at the Airport they didn't took the immigrant package from her like they were supposed to, she never knew she was suppose to turn it in and we never asked, well after 8 months we wondered where is her GC, cos nowadays it comes within a month after entering US, they gave her the stamp for the GC on the passport and so we got the SS card and drivers license etc, well we asked her then and she brought the paperwork that she got from the embassy, and then we figured out the answer, we went to local USCIS office they told us to go to the airport and have it done and apologized, we went to the airport and had it done after 8 months. At the time of filing for Natz we filed according to her entry date and she went for the interview and explained the situation, the officer went back checked with whatever and said that unfortunately they don't have any way to verify it and asked us to refile according to the date on the GC. We did that because by the Interview time it was already six months and we felt it was not worth fighting for besides you can apply 90 days prior to your GC date anyway for Natz.
So ultimately decision is yours.

You should've corrected your GC. Unfortunately, they go by what's in the system. So for you to be eligible now, you need to send to fix your GC asap and then apply for your N400.

You should've corrected your GC. Unfortunately, they go by what's in the system. So for you to be eligible now, you need to send to fix your GC asap and then apply for your N400.

I think he will be fine if he explains the situation in the N-400.

I've checked mine GC and it has not been backdated either. How do you correct it? Is there any special form for it?

You don't need to correct your Permanent Resident Card.

Read the following article: (This person's situation is EXACTLY like yours)

http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local..._seekers_can_naturalize_after_4_yrs_here.html

It is written by a well known lawyer in NYC who helps a lot of immigrants.

"You can naturalize four years after the USCIS granted you permanent residence. You may submit your application 90 days before that date. The error on your permanent resident card shouldn't be a problem."