asylum applicants

Gilbert

THE AILA has just been informed that asylum seekers from certain countries will be detained while their cases are being processed. This is in response to the world situation.

Asylum seekers fleeing from the following countries may be subject to detention at the US border and may not be eligible for parole:

Iraq, Iran, Sudan, Somalia, Eritrea, Afghanistan, Algeria, Egypt, Eritrea, Uzbekistan, Morocco, Malaysia, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Bahrain, Djibouti, Kazakhstan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Libya, Oman, Qatar, Syria, Tunisia, Thailand, Yemen as well as Gaza and the West Bank.
The official also stated that only asylees arriving at the border will be detained; affirmative applicants will likely not be detained.

affirmative asylum

Hi Guys,
I belong to Pakistan and am planning to file an assylum application.

1. Is there any way to confirm whether affirmative assylum seekers will be detained or not...
2. I am here in US since June 2001, am i eligible to file assylum case?

Thanks Gilani

Since it has been more than one year since you came here, you will NOT be eligible to file for asylum unless you qualify for an exception. An example is serious medical/mental condition. Another is recent and dramatic change is your country that made you think about asylum.

SINCE 911 THE INS ASYLUM OFFICES HAVE BECOME VERY VERY STRICT ABOUT THE ONE YEAR RULE AND RARILY GIVE EXCEPTIONS ANYMORE.

If you are not eligible due to the one year rule and still can establish likelihood of persecution, you can receive something called "withholding of removal" which allows you to receive an EAD every year until it is safe for you to go home. It does not allow you to become a permanent resident, nor does it allow you to bring in your family. You also cannot leave this country while in that status. It is not too attractive. If you have a good case, an option is going to Canada where they do not have the one year rule.

Talk to your lawyer about your options.

Regarding going to Canada option: I have heard that Immigration staff these days is not very kind to folks who are arriving in Canada from USA. The reason is the safe third country agreement that has been signed by Canada and USA.

So you should contact a lawyer and weigh your options before making any decisions.

Originally posted by RAsylee
Has AILA published the list of countries whose applicants will be detained?

The DHS is not releasing the list of countries. But sources say that the following 33 countries and applicants from the West Bank and Gaza are included:

Afghanistan, Algeria, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Djibouti, Egypt, Eritrea, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Libya, Malaysia, Morocco, Oman, Pakistan, Philippines, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Somalia, Sudan, Syria, Thailand, Tajikistan, Tunisia, Turkey, Turkmenistan, United Arab Emirates, Uzbekistan and Yemen.

No real surprises in the list.