ASYLEE Travel Information

Explorer1 said:
If a GC holder shows RP to a IO at the port of entry, does the officer automatically knows that you have stayed outside the U.S for more than 6 months or he is still going to ask you "how long were you out"? Otherwise why would you get a RP if you already have a GC and NP which allows you to stay outside for more than 6 months? thanks

This question has already been asked by surprise 77 on this tread and I gave the right answer to the question.Please read carefully Page 1 of this tread and you will find the answer by CADEL.Keep in mind HOW LONG YOU WERE OUT is a routine question to which you except to get from I.O any time you reenter US until you become a US citizen.It's theirs job asking this kind of question despite the fact that they know how long you've been out .Cause on your passport/RTD/Permit there is stamp by the country you visited showing the date you entered that country.
Thanks
RD Aug 22,2001
Approved Sep 15,2005
GC received Sep 20,2005

cadel said:
1- Yes.
2- Yes .I got a french visa on my Reentry permit.I'm travelling to paris for only 5 days(Feb 15-Feb 20).My Reentry is used as a passport and will be stamped at Port of Entry in France.As Wantmygcnow said,there is small group of countries which don't accept a Reentry permit.But,most of countries accept it abd they issue visa on it and let you travel.
3- Yes,I'm pro Reentry permit because it's a document which makes me feel comfortable when travelling.There no Alien status on it,compare to RTD when you can read above your head REFUGEE TRAVEL DOCUMENT and this makes you get more screened when entering your visiting country overseas.
One time at Paris Charles Degaulle airport,when I hand over my RTD to the Officer,He asked my this question:Is it easy to get asylum status in US?Can you figure it out ?I'm not sure to get that kind of question if I was travelling on my NP or Reentry Permit!
RD Aug 22,2001
Approved Sep 15,2005
GC received Sep 20,2005

RD Aug 22,2001
Approved Sep 15,2005
GC received Sep 20,2005

Thank you, Cadel, for your thoughtfulness. Now we need help from Want, you , and the whole forum to list those countries that do or do not accept Reentry Permits.

If we are going to have a short ( less than 6 mo ) trip how can we get RP ?

If you are an asylee and DO NOT HAVE A GC:

-You can request a RTD from USCIS and be out of the country as long as the RTD is valid for. You can even stay away for more than 6 months as long you have a valid document to enter the U.S. Since you are not a PR and your GC is in process, your residency status has not started so staying out of the country for more than 6 months don't matter. The validity of document matters.

-Other class immigrants like H1 with GC In process other can be out of the country but with an ADVANCED PAROLE DOCUMENT. Asylees can also request that but since being an asylee means you can't use your National Passport, Advance Parole can't be used.

If you were an ASYLEE and are a GC holder, you can request the follwing from USCIS:

1)RTD
2)Rentry Permit

Since you are a Permanent Resident now, residency requirements kick in, so if you want to be out of the country for more than 6 months, YOU DO NEED a Rentry Permit to renter or the officer at port of entry will give you trouble.

This also resets your Naturalization requirements which require that you are not out of the country for more than 6 months.

So the question is WHY would you request a RTD which is valid for only 1 year rather than a Rentry Permit which is valid for 2 years?

It can depend. Some people want RTD because some countries still do not accept Rentry Permits, like Switzerland and even Germany requires a visa on a Rentry Permit rather than a RTD.

Lot of people who are from a "profile" country like myself, do not want to travel with our NP. First, its a hassle to get a visa on it, even though you have a GC, officers look at you weirdly and airline personnel treat you different with a NP from a "profile" country.

For instance, I want to go to switzerland this summer which requires NO VISA if you have a valid NP and a GC. However a VISA is required on a RTD and if you hold a GC or not...I am applying for a Visa. #1, I do not want the hassle of renewing my passport, #2, that would mean I would need 2 visas, 1 for germany and 1 for Switzerland if I travel with my Np. Its a hassle.

So in summary, as a GC holder who was an asylee, you can travel using

1) Rentry Permit + GC
2) RTD + GC
3) NP + GC

In theory USCIS doesn't care if you have a RTD or RP or NP when you enter, they care that you have a GC which proves your status. Lots of officers will run the GC,verify your status and put a stamp on your passport as "Admitted on: Date, Until: ARC"for GC holders, "USC" for US Citizens and issue a I-94 with "Indefinte" in Admitted Until Entry for Refugees or Asylees.

HOpe this helps.

You may use RTD or Reentry Permit to travel.That's up to you.One of both will replace your National Passport.

RD Aug 22,2001
Approved Sep 15,2005
GC received Sep 20,2005

Thank you guys for your information ! i just have a quick question if you can answer. I applied for a Refugee Travel Document which is taking a long time to process as i still have not received the biometric notice and i applied in February 2015. Now i have a green card since then. I was wondering could i travel with my National Passport if i need to with my green card ?

Or would that be a BIG NO ? as i am an asylee from that country ? would i face any backlash when i reenter using my National Passport with my green card as i am an asylee from that country or would i have any trouble when i apply for citizenship in the future as i travelled on my NP as an asylee ?

You won't have trouble coming back into the US. The only issues that MIGHT (but MIGHT NOT) arise will be during your naturalisation interview. If you are not afraid to use your NP, then you can go ahead and do so. As long as you can justify this use, you should be ok.

Hello everyone,
I recently got my asylum granted and I'm planning on traveling to Canada. I just applied for the Refugee Travel Document and my concern is when entering US. Do the IO go through the process of interrogation all over again?

Thanks in advance.

I don't know what you mean by interrogation, but they can question you like they question any other resident. It's unlikely to be difficult, though. You can, however, be made to go to secondary inspection. Nothing to worry about.

Remember, you might need a visa for Canada with an RTD.

Can someone kindly answer this question for me. I have a valid Indian Passport and an American Green Card and I want to visit Nepal for a month or so. Will I need to get a Nepalese visa on my Indian passport because of my Green Card ? Also on my way back to the United States form Nepal will I need some form of Visa or will my green card be sufficient for me to board the plane back to the US. I keep getting conflicting answers and I would appreciate ANY help on this matter.

Yes, I got my GC via the Asy process and I know that Nepal does not Issue visa on an RTD. My Indian passport in still valid though.

Your GC will not have any negative effect on the acceptance of your Indian passport. It will only enhance its value (visa-FREE status for Canada, Mexico, etc. now, and no need for many transit visas). So, for Nepal, your Indian passport will remain as useful as it always was - no visa needed. To return to the US, you also need no visa - just your GC.

Did you hear something different? If so, what, and from whom?

@cafeconleche Thank you for your reply. Another question. While I was in F1 status I had worked without a work permit and also have a law suit filed by my credit card company. So when entering US using RTD, will that create a problem for me?

Dear Cafeconleche, you have no idea how grateful I am for your reply. I asked a couple of people I knew who were not sure and i also asked a lawyer who told me that I would need a passport to come beck into the states. I thank you for taking the time out of your life to help others.

Well, I'm sure the OP has both passports, but I'd like to point out that people use the term second passport to indicate dual citizenship, and not necessarily the possession of both passports simultaneously.

Hey guys, it's really nice to read all this helpful information, does anyone wanna share their experiences with traveling with NP+GC? Also, is it ok to renew NP? Will there be any problem at the time of the citizenship interview? Please share your experiences , thanks everyone ✌️