Asylee (not LPR) travel experiences

Fin

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

I am a new asylee who is planning in traveling to UK before my GC. I have applied for RTD and expect it soon. My question is what should I expect when I'm coming back in? Do I have to carry anything apart from my RTD like the grant letter from IJ or old NP? Also are asylees usually taken up for secondary inspection? I read some stories that asylees should be expected to be questioned for an hour during secondary. If this is true, what kind of questions have people faced?

Hi,

I am a new asylee who is planning in traveling to UK before my GC. I have applied for RTD and expect it soon. My question is what should I expect when I'm coming back in? Do I have to carry anything apart from my RTD like the grant letter from IJ or old NP? Also are asylees usually taken up for secondary inspection? I read some stories that asylees should be expected to be questioned for an hour during secondary. If this is true, what kind of questions have people faced?

I traveled 2 times on my RTD and I didn't have any problems! It's normal to go through secondary inspection! They wont hold you for an hour! I was there for 15 min and they just wanna make sure where you went, for how long. They also want to make sure your current address, after that they give you a new I-94. DONT GIVE YOUR ASYLUM I94!

I left and re-entered the US once as an asylee before getting my GC. I had got a long-term visa for the Netherlands to study there for a year (fairly easily, I might add). I don't recall encountering any problems. Immigration in the Netherlands were a little surprised to see the RTD (at that time, a visa was needed to visit using the RTD; not anymore!), and maybe immigration in the US were a little amused too. They might have asked me where my passport was. Not sure. They did at some point, but maybe that was also after I got my GC. I was never sent to secondary inspection, and I never got a new I94. I always just had my asylum one, which, of course, I left at home.

I left and re-entered the US once as an asylee before getting my GC. I had got a long-term visa for the Netherlands to study there for a year (fairly easily, I might add). I don't recall encountering any problems. Immigration in the Netherlands were a little surprised to see the RTD (at that time, a visa was needed to visit using the RTD; not anymore!), and maybe immigration in the US were a little amused too. They might have asked me where my passport was. Not sure. They did at some point, but maybe that was also after I got my GC. I was never sent to secondary inspection, and I never got a new I94. I always just had my asylum one, which, of course, I left at home.

Thanks! I read a memo that the IO can determine if you are eligible for asylum before patrolling you in as asylee. I was concerned that they take you to secondary and ask you questions about your case. It's good to know that at least someone on here hasn't been asked to go to secondary.

Thanks! I read a memo that the IO can determine if you are eligible for asylum before patrolling you in as asylee. I was concerned that they take you to secondary and ask you questions about your case. It's good to know that at least someone on here hasn't been asked to go to secondary.

They will never ask you about your case!!!!! Once you had your interview, and you were granted, your case is done! Unless you committ a crime or something like that.

Dont be scared to go through secondary inspection! After 2010, all RTD holders are required to through it. The room was very full! I gave them my RTD and I thought "Oh no! It will take forever! I will lose my flight!" 15 min later, the Officer called my name and he asked me: "Are you still on the same address? How long were you gone?" then he said "You just need a new i-94 and you are good to go"

I asked him why do I need a new i-94 then he told me that RTD holders need "the last entry" when we apply for GC. Let's say you were gone for 20 days, so, when you apply for your GC, you will have to wait "1 year+20 days".

They will never ask you about your case!!!!! Once you had your interview, and you were granted, your case is done! Unless you committ a crime or something like that.

Take free all

Dont be scared to go through secondary inspection! After 2010, all RTD holders are required to through it. The room was very full! I gave them my RTD and I thought "Oh no! It will take forever! I will lose my flight!" 15 min later, the Officer called my name and he asked me: "Are you still on the same address? How long were you gone?" then he said "You just need a new i-94 and you are good to go"

I asked him why do I need a new i-94 then he told me that RTD holders need "the last entry" when we apply for GC. Let's say you were gone for 20 days, so, when you apply for your GC, you will have to wait "1 year+20 days".

Wow really? I didn't know about the 1 yr 20 day requirement. I guess I won't go then lol. I will first apply for GC and then go when the GC application is pending. I read when the GC application is pending, asylees can still travel on RTD, correct? I don't want to use AP as I have read that using AP makes you lose your asylum status according to some people.

The law is not "1 year and 20 days"! The timeline is 1 year but if you travel before your GC, you need to add the days you were gone on top of the 1 year timeline. In my case I was gone for 20 days. So 1 year and 20 days later I filed for my GC. I would travel using your RTD, no problem...as a matter of fact, if you flie for your i485 today, it will take at least 6 months by the time you get your GC.

Wow really? I didn't know about the 1 yr 20 day requirement. I guess I won't go then lol. I will first apply for GC and then go when the GC application is pending. I read when the GC application is pending, asylees can still travel on RTD, correct? I don't want to use AP as I have read that using AP makes you lose your asylum status according to some people.

Thanks! I still have time for 485 (7 months). But I was planning a 3 week travel to see some relatives in UK (not COP obviously). But if those 3 weeks are going to push my GC application back then I may rethink about it.

Thanks! I still have time for 485 (7 months). But I was planning a 3 week travel to see some relatives in UK (not COP obviously). But if those 3 weeks are going to push my GC application back then I may rethink about it.

Push it back? Are you concerned about 1 year and 3 weeks? A green card application goes from 6 to 9 months...RTD takes between 3-4 months to get it! So no matter what you wont get your green card anytime soon.

Push it back? Are you concerned about 1 year and 3 weeks? A green card application goes from 6 to 9 months...RTD takes between 3-4 months to get it! So no matter what you wont get your green card anytime soon.

I know it sounds silly but I feel like I want the GC ASAP lol but you are right. 3 weeks won't make a difference. But isn't the GC application supposed to be done in 4 months? That's what it says in USCIS processing times.

Very interesting conversation guys, I really like this forum.
I know people who get the GC in just 3 months! those USCIS guys have no rules LOL
I have a question about the waiving fees for the green card, is anyone here have some experience in that so I can go ahead and ask? or there is another place to ask in?
Thanks folks!