Asylee N-400 Interview Experiences and 2011 Tracker

marcio22 I know its off the topic but i just want to know when and under what circumstances did u travel to ur COP? did your lawyer approve of that? where u given any problems POE when u came back? and how long you stayed there ? Please if u let me know i ll really be very thankful to you.

Travel to COP

My mother got sick on mother's day last year and 2 days later I was on the plane to see her. I was not asked anything about going back to my original country at the port of entry.

By the way, I became an American citizen Jan 18, 2012, so happy and proud to be one like all of you are as well. Journey has just started now it's time to make them proud of me.

M-

marcio22 I know its off the topic but i just want to know when and under what circumstances did u travel to ur COP? did your lawyer approve of that? where u given any problems POE when u came back? and how long you stayed there ? Please if u let me know i ll really be very thankful to you.

congrats on becoming a citizen.. hope your mom is doing well too.. So did you discuss with your lawyer? did he approve you of going back home? did u bring any documents to show that your mom was sick? Do u think its safe to travel on a green card to COP or you were just lucky? i want to travel to COP for a month and come back.. I want to go see my parents. :( i miss them a lot..

congrats on becoming a citizen.. hope your mom is doing well too.. So did you discuss with your lawyer? did he approve you of going back home? did u bring any documents to show that your mom was sick? Do u think its safe to travel on a green card to COP or you were just lucky? i want to travel to COP for a month and come back.. I want to go see my parents. :( i miss them a lot..

I always wanted to go back home to visit my brothers and mom. I waited until I got my US citizenship. I waited a total of 15 years. I was afraid to go back home with green card. Naturalization process is fast nowadays, just wait and soon enough you will be a US citizen too. That is my advice.

My Interview Experience, Chicago, DO:

Did mine in Chicago on Feb. 22nd. First I was asked swear under oath that you're telling the truth and nothing but the truth, and then came a quick firestorm of questions about things in my application. The whole thing was mostly painless. Because I'm a college student who goes to school out of state, they asked me to show them my state ID or driver's licence, and I gave them my licence from my home state with an explanation of my situation, and showed them my proof of enrollment and current class schedule from my school. It seemed to count as sufficient proof of residence in-state for them.

Then came the test of reading, writing, and civics: they were a piece of cake, and the interviewer stopped after the sixth question for the civics part since I answered everything correctly.

Being an asylee derivate before I obtained PR status, I was rather worried about showing them my passport since it's long expired and I haven't used it at all since coming to the U.S., and as a result I don't have it on hand. I used my Re-entry permit as a passport for the one overseas trip I made (not COP), and just to be on the safe side I also brought with me photocopies of my expired national passport in case they ask for it. It turned out my worries were for nothing, however; they were satisfied with my re-entry permit and didn't even mention my national passport. I was asked about my overseas trip and I told them the destination and that it was under 90 days.

I'm getting a name change, so they verified that at the end, and I was asked to sign a bunch of documents, some with my current legal name and some with my new name. I was then given a sheet of paper that said I passed my interview, and asked to stay in the waiting area until they call out my name and give me my oath letter (not sure if this is the standard practice for other DOs, but this is how they do things in Chicago as of last month). After over an hour of waiting, I had my oath letter, hot off the press, in hand. One thing I noticed that most people's oath date were within the week, so I assumed that unless you request a name change, you should be able to take your oath within the week, perhaps even within a couple of days, after you pass the interview. There weren't anyone who got to take their oath on the same day that I know of, but I'm not entirely sure if it was because there weren't any oath ceremonies scheduled that particular day or if it just wasn't the practice in Chicago DO.

Last edited by a moderator:
Arrest in COP

Hello all,

I have been following passively this blog for quiet a while and gotten a lot of useful information. I appreciate everyone, who has participated in these lively dialogues. I have one question regarding arrest or have been in jail on N-400 application.
I was arrested in COP before coming to US and they were grounds for me to be granted asylum. Now my question is the N-400 asks this question about arrest, is it referring to arrest in US only? or should i mention all arrests in the COP as well? FYI, I have a clean record in US.

Thank you in advance

Mamo

They ask about arrests everywhere. You can mention it and explain, and since they know about it and gave you asylum, it won't be a problem.

Citizenship interview NYC

Hey everyone, i just want to post my experience at 26 Federal Plaza, NYC. I sent out my application on september 20 - 2011 and my interview was scheduled for March 14 (today). It was scheduled for 8:40 am, so i got there at 8:00am. They called me at 10:30am, i was kind of nervous because i didn't register for selective service, ( i got my green card when i was 27 yrs old), so i didn't know that i was supposed to register, and because of that i had a lawyer accompanying me to the interview in case the officer would give me hell. The officer was SO NICE! I don't know if it was because i had a lawyer with me or because he was just a nice person. He started going over the info in the application and then started with the test. It was a really pleasant experience. The only thing he asked to see was the green card, passport and the Status Information Letter from the Selective Service (original)... No tax transcripts. He also ask me why i didn't register with SS and i said that i didn't know that i would have to, i also said the i just learned that i had to register when i got my green card, but i was over 26 yrs old. He was fine with my answer. The interview lasted about 15 mnts, and at the end he asked me if i want to wait for the Oath letter, i said yes. I had to wait about 4 hours after the interview for the Oath letter. I never had been to my country of persecution, but i used my national passport to travel abroad, but were no questions related to these issues.
Now i have a question for you guys who took the oath already. What documents do i need to bring to the ceremony? Do i need to bring my national passport or just my green card, oath letter and my old travel document?
Thank you guys, and good luck for those preparing for their interviews!

Citizenship

I'll be submitting my application next Saturday

LPR : 07/13/2007
04/14/2012 : N-400 sent to USCIS Phoenix Lockbox
04/16/2012 : Application Received
04/09/2012 : Notice of Action
04/20/2012 : Check Cashed
04/26/2012 : Finger Print Notice
05/11/2012 : Finger Print Done
06/15/2012 : Status Update to Testing and Interview
08/14/2012 : Interview date

Last edited by a moderator:
need a serious help please

hi everyone i am not sure if it is the appropriate forum to post my problem or not but right now i really need a help so i thought may be u guys have come a long way , someone might be able to help me.
i am a green card holder through asylum. i wanted to get marry with a guy from my country. we know each other since three years, but he is not able to come to US right now. so i wanted to go INDIA and wanted to get married there , since i cannot go to my own country.
so, can someone please suggest me what is the most appropriate and the easiest wayto get the marrige registration certificate from india. and in the adress do i have to write the adress of my home country or the adress of US when i have to register.
please someone help me , i really wanted to get married and settle down with him. i really need ur help.
please.

You might want to wait till you have you US Citizenship. You don't want to take chance to go back to you COP and blows the whole thing ( I mean both of you won't be able to come back to US). Having US Citizenship is much better chance that you able to bring him to US. Good Luck

I will ask here as well

Anybody who applied for asylum in NYC, what is your experience how long it take to get interview notice?

thanks

Hi everybody, I have been out for while and now it is time to get the n400. I am very nervous. I have already done with my FP and soon expecting interview letter. I wonder usually how long does it take after FP ?

Hi Alex, I'm not a USC yet, but for what I've seen on this forum, it takes about 6 months from beginning to end for the naturalization process, I have some questions, I hope you can take some time to answer them, did you travel to your COP? Are you the primary asylee? I ask you this because I'm planning to travel to a neighboring country or perhaps my COP, I'm very nervous that I might have some issues during my citizenship interview/process, please keep us updated, and I wish all the luck future US citizen

Sure My friend you can ask me anything you wish. I could answer as much as I could. Yes I am primary Asylee (I assume you mean without court decision). No I have never left the country at all. I know some people like to travel and even visit COP, I would not suggest you. Unless you really have to. For example there is some emergency that you prove it. Because it will come up to you during the n400 interview.