Asylee N-400 Interview Experiences and 2011 Tracker

Just wanted to let you guys know that I passed the interview. Being given a letter recommended for approval. The interview only took around 15 min, but the waiting time was more than 2 hours. For those in LA area, I suggest to come earlier than your appointment time. Like mine, I came one and half hour early, but the seating area was almost full at that time. The officer was a young white man. Asked to swear and straight to the civics test and English test. Reviewed my application and made photocopies of some original documents. I feel so relieved now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dear friends,

On Friday the 17th I became a US citizen. I applied for a passport the very same day.
My 11 year journey is over and I need to set new goals for my life.

I wish you all the best of luck!

I had my interview two days ago. I was asked if I went to COP (I did not). Everything was very straightforward. The officer checked all the trips I did with the NP and Travel Document, and I told her that the trips I did on 2006 were done with my first travel document I got on 2006 and I had to surrender it to get the new one on 2007. She said to me that she needed to pull from customs ( or something like that) all my 2006 trips and checked them. My wife also had her interview and was asked whether she went to COP (she did not). She was asked to send photocopies of her NP. Both of us had "no decision can be made at this moment". Any clue how long will take to check all those stuffs?

BTW, both interviews were in SF office.

I wonder if my online status will change from "we placed your application in the oath scheduling que." for something different if they actually set a date where I have to take the oath...

@dusty99: I think you should try to ask on the other section. I believe none of us here is having that experience so far.

@flamingopark2: Did the officer tell you when you will receive the oath letter?

@dusty99: I think you should try to ask on the other section. I believe none of us here is having that experience so far.

@flamingopark2: Did the officer tell you when you will receive the oath letter?
I was told that it will take for one to three months...we will see.

YelloW Letter

I got a yellow letter but it is an interview letter, it says"this is not an interview notice" with subject: a pre-interview case review stating Prior to forwarding your case for interview. USCIS recommends you bring the following documents to your interview "State-issued driver's letter"
Has anyone gotten this type of letter before ?

I got naturalized today!
Still can not believe it.
It was a long road to this - came to US in 1998. Got my asylum in 2002, then GC in 2005. I filed my n-400 in October last year, but the processing got delayed due to, as I was told, budget cuts and shortage of USCIS officers.
Interview was this morning, very standard questions, basically the officer went over my application and asked questions. No questions about trips to the country of origin, but I have never been back anyway. 6 questions from the test and then she handed me the oath letter and I got naturalized in 4 hours after the interview.
thank you all and good luck to all!

@Blink1989: Yes, he did. It is a very simple sentence. I forgot to mention that on my previous post, it was after the civics test.

Just received email notification update on 7/6 that my application was placed in the oath scheduling que. And today July 7, 2011, another email said "we scheduled you for your oath ceremony and sent a notice providing the date, time, and location."

During the interview I asked to the officer how long it will take. The reason is that I must to move to another state in August (at the middle of the month). She told me that probably it will be ready by this month July. Could an INFOPASS help to know the status?

Just to keep updated, I sent to my IO a letter asking for that. I planning to get an INFOPASS in two weeks.

Finally, I am done with this. Today I had my oath ceremony and became an US Citizen. I sent in my N-400 application on Feb -march this year, and I received my naturalization certificate today, July13. It took me a good 5 months to get it. Enough of my thought. Let me share with all of you about my experience today.
My oath ceremony took place at Central Islip 100 Federal Plaza today Ny. I got there around 8.00 eventhough my appointment was for 8:30 am. No phones and cameras were allowed to bought in. I had to leave my phone at the security desk. . After going through the security, I went to the second floor and into a big hall. I sat down I saw 3 INS Officers came in and ask people to sit closer to the front. There wasn't many people in the ceremony today, I guess it was 100 more or less. One of the officiers asked us to answer all of the questions from our appointment letters and signed it. Then, we were asked to hand in our Green card along with the appointment letter to the Officiers and our Naturalization Certificates were shown to us. We had to check if all the spellings were correct on our Naturalization Certificates, and signed it. When everyone went through his/her Naturalization Certificate, it was around 10:00am. We were then give a chance to register for voting. I filled it up and handed in. We sat down and waited again. Around 10:30am, the Judge came in. It was a lady . She then congradulated us and left. One of the officiers have us to raise our right hands and to take the oath. After the oath, our Naturalizations were started to hand out to us one by one. I was out of the door around 11:00.
The total process only took 3.5 hours. A lot shorter than I was expected. Thank God, It is finally over for me. i think i made a small mistake cause i went to the social security office for updated my status. They said they have to check with immigration and it will take a couple weeks .
Did i make a mistake by doing it the same day ? , is my status updated right away with USCIS ? .
just worried that when social security wants to check , USCIS wont have updated yet . well for the record i never went back to COP..never renew my passport..it cost me a lot of tears cause i lost special people from my family..BUT i can/t go back to my cop..i was a human right activist there and my life will be in danger just to touch that country...so with a lot of sorrow i can't go back...like the officer said to me the day of my interview..you are a real asylee..you never went back to your cop...yes i never went back..but my soul is sad cause i lost people that i really loved...
well now i'll wait to get my new social security and go to the New York passport office..i will wait...i learn how to wait
hugs and good luck to everybody..specially to my friend Shefe
Good Luck people

Just to keep updated, I sent to my IO a letter asking for that. I planning to get an INFOPASS in two weeks.

A good news!!!
Today, my wife was scheduled for her oath ceremony. One month after her interview with "Not decision can be made at this moment". I hope to get mine shortly.

I just came back from my interview , (mine and wife's) all went well.
even though I went to my COP once after the GC, but not questions asked in that regard.
Will get oath info in the mail
Thanks everybody and Good Luck to you all