Asylee marrying

SaagarC

Hello Everyone
One of my friend has got an Asylee status from her father. Her father had filled Relative petition on behalf of her, and its approved now. She is now already 21 years of age now. She is not in United States now but will join her father very soon.
What will happen if she marries any F1 student after she comes to the United States? Will she jeopardize her asylee status when she will marry him or if they got married then they can apply together for the Green Card after one year?

Thanks

What will happen if she marries any F1 student after she comes to the United States?
Nothing. She is free to marry anybody.

Will she jeopardize her asylee status when she will marry him or if they got married then they can apply together for the Green Card after one year?

1. No at all. Marrying and F1 will not jeopardize her status.
2. No, the F1 husband can not apply for a GC with his wife. The derivative asylee is her only, not the husband. Doesnt matter if they are marry.... she got her derivative status while she was single.

The only way the husband can apply for a GC is to wait till the derivative asylee applies for a GC and get her citizenship (around 6 years) and then petition for her husband (F1).
She can also file a petition for her husband while she is GC holder, but that category of family petition takes around 5 years too.

If she marries before she gets her green card based on asylum then she will have to take an additional step before she can get her green card.

One of my friend married (got her asylee status from her dad) before getting her GC. When she applied GC, USCIS told her to apply asylum by herself. I dont know how she did, but now she is a GC holder. Hope this help.

Last edited by a moderator:
What will happen if she marries any F1 student after she comes to the United States? Will she jeopardize her asylee status when she will marry him or if they got married then they can apply together for the Green Card after one year?

If the F1 person is expecting some legal ease, its not gonna happen by marrying derivative asylee. So better wait until she gets her GC, otherwise like thankful said she will have to go through additional step in order to get her GC.

What is an additional step that you, guy talking about? I am on the same boat. Please let me know what it it? I am not a derivitive asylee. I am an asylee myself. I already apply for my GC however I still don't get it yet. It's been more than 3 years now. I want to get married with an F1 now, but I don't know if I should do it now or just wait for my GC? Anybody have any idea please help.

What is an additional step that you, guy talking about? I am on the same boat. Please let me know what it it? I am not a derivitive asylee. I am an asylee myself. I already apply for my GC however I still don't get it yet. It's been more than 3 years now. I want to get married with an F1 now, but I don't know if I should do it now or just wait for my GC? Anybody have any idea please help.

Thankful and others have already mentioned that getting married will not jeopardize your situation. Why don't you go ahead and do the right thing? :rolleyes:

But then again, I guess your spouse would actually benefit if you were a permanent resident.