Asking for the latest update on pending case.

assylum

Registered Users (C)
I called the asylum office and I asked about the latest update on my pending case. The operator said that the last time my file was reviewed was on 7/10/09 and it is still in our office and it is pending. I don't know what she means by saying "it is still in our office". Does that mean they plan to refer the case to another office or court???

I asked for details but she couldn't give me any more details.

When I called on 6/30/09, the operator told me that my case is under a supervisory review. They are really confusing me.

Lets assume that they approve my case. Will they send me a recommened approval or they will keep the case pending until the name check is cleard?

If they reject my case, why is it taking them so long to send NTA?

Did you apply for EAD?

Don't worry Assylum, whatever their determination is, they will send the notification.

I decided that not to call the office anymore. One day, they will make a decision on my case and they will send me the notice.

I almost killed myself looking at the postman all the time.

NTA? or you mean NOID?

Anyway, they will answer you, don't worry, it is just that you had a bad luck to be interviewed by 2 officers, one of them is under supervision.

hopefully this is for your good, maybe you will get bad results if you were interviewed by one officer instead of 2

for me, waiting is better than denial... and you will get EAD after 150 days, with EAD you will get SS# and driving license...

ViaPalermo advice is the best.

I called the asylum office and I asked about the latest update on my pending case. The operator said that the last time my file was reviewed was on 7/10/09 and it is still in our office and it is pending. I don't know what she means by saying "it is still in our office". Does that mean they plan to refer the case to another office or court???

I asked for details but she couldn't give me any more details.

When I called on 6/30/09, the operator told me that my case is under a supervisory review. They are really confusing me.

Lets assume that they approve my case. Will they send me a recommened approval or they will keep the case pending until the name check is cleard?

dear assylum, don not worry, i have feeling you allready got approved,

most likely they are waiting for name check results

hopefully you will get the happy news soon

Did you apply for EAD?

I almost killed myself looking at the postman all the time.

Same with me. I gave up expecting the postwoman to have deposited something in my mailbox. [For my case though, I had a re-interview through telephone last week, and this time, they promised the decsion will be mailed in 2 weeks.] This waiting can destabilize the mind -- and my world seems static for now.

they promised the decsion will be mailed in 2 weeks

did the 2 weeks pass? if so, send a letter to the asylum office address "with tracking number" asking them about the decision.. write a nice letter and explain why you need to get the results.

Should I wait for the decision before I apply for EAD?

did the 2 weeks pass? if so, send a letter to the asylum office address "with tracking number" asking them about the decision.. write a nice letter and explain why you need to get the results.

The 2 weeks not yet passed. 1 more week to go.
One more question: I will make 150 days tomorrow since my complete application was filed.
During the telephone interview last week, I asked the interviewer whether I should go ahead and apply for EAD or I should wait for the decision to mailed to me since 2 weeks is so close. The interviewing officer said, "hmmmm.. my position does not allow me to advise whether you should apply for EAD or not. It doesn't matter,; you can go ahead and apply"
I need the EAD as soon as possible. Should I apply tomorrow?

apply, nothing to lose... except for the fees... but I think it is waived "double check on that"

apply, nothing to lose... except for the fees... but I think it is waived "double check on that"

Thanks Raziel for responding real-time. Yes, I checked and the fee for the first EAD application is waived. I will apply.

[For my case though, I had a re-interview through telephone last week, and this time, they promised the decsion will be mailed in 2 weeks.] This waiting can destabilize the mind -- and my world seems static for now.

Did the same officer interview you on the phone? Did they give you an advanced notice of the phone interview?
It seems that the officer came back from the training program.

I hope you get a decision soon as they promissed. Your approval letter or the recommended letter is on the way.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did the same officer interview you on the phone? Did they give you an advanced notice of the phone interview?
It seems that the officer came back from the training program.

I hope you get a decision soon as they promissed. Your approval letter or the recommended letter is on the way.

Yes, it is the same officer who interviewed me. And yes, I got an advance notice in the email that goes:
"Mr(s). 'kica',

I apologize for the delay in adjudicating your case, but before I make a decision I would like to clarify some points. Would it be possible to set up a time where I can ask you some additional questions regarding your case? This would obviously take place telephonically and at your convenience.

Sincerely,
(officer's full name, telephone contact,..)"

And you're right... the officer had been away for training.

The telephone re-interview took place (and lasted about 1 hr) the following day because I replied immediately and told the officer I was available "anytime now".

Thanks for the encouraging words .. I hope the mail (approval letter or the recommended letter) is on the way.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, it is the same officer who interviewed me. And yes, I got an advance notice in the email.

oh wow, does the I-589 application ask for an email address? I don't remember giving my email address.

In my case, they called me for the second interview and I had it about 6 weeks ago and I haven't received anything yet since the second interview.

oh wow, does the I-589 application ask for an email address? I don't remember giving my email address.

In my case, they called me for the second interview and I had it about 6 weeks ago and I haven't received anything yet since the second interview.

Actually I don't remember whether I-589 application does ask for an email address, but mine happened that when I called to make inquiry, and the officer who interviewed me was said to be away for training, I was connected to the supervisor. The supervisor gave me his full name + email address +the junior officer's name,a d promised they would keep updated on the progress of my application.

I hope you hear from them soon.

Wow!!!

Do they interview applicants over the phone?
What about the confidentiality issue of the applicantion? How do they identify the appplicant?
So strange. I would not accept a such proposal form the officer.

What about the confidentiality issue of the applicantion? How do they identify the appplicant?

Like Raziel said, sometimes, in desperate times, we cannot have any other option other than taking risks. Well, may be there could be such a thing like phone tapping (by a third party) but I was sure I was talking to the right officer and the voice was clearly that of the officer . (In short, I'm 100 % I communicated with the right people)- but I appreciate your (ViaPalermo's) concern.

Actually I don't remember whether I-589 application does ask for an email address, but mine happened that when I called to make inquiry, and the officer who interviewed me was said to be away for training, I was connected to the supervisor. The supervisor gave me his full name + email address +the junior officer's name,a d promised they would keep updated on the progress of my application.

I hope you hear from them soon.

You may have been connected to the operator's supervisor not the officer's supervisor. I was connected to that person before and he told me that he is the operator's supervisor. That person has access to more details and can get your case going.

I heard from the lawyer that San Francisco, Chicago, and Los Angeles offices do a phone interview in some cases. Kica's case might be in one of those offices.

they promised the decsion will be mailed in 2 weeks.] This waiting can destabilize the mind -- and my world seems static for now.

Did you receive the decision? It's been over 2 weeks since they promised you.