Arrest record and H1b Stamping in toronto

depressed_desi

Hi all,

I have an appointment in toronto for H1b stamping in a few days. This is my conversion from student to H1b visa. I already received approval of visa. Unfortunately, I have an arrest record which I am really concerned about. I was a victim of physical assault and I got the guy arrested and in repercussion he filed a false complaint which caused the arrest (beginning of this year).
The case was settled without any conviction on me. I recently also requested for letter of disposition from the court and the document said "No records found".
I am really confused whether I should mention the arrest in DS 156 since there was no conviction on me.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I am really really worried and would like to know what could be the possible outcomes.
Thanks in advance.

Frankly I would have said 'yes' for the arrest since you were arrested. Now court did not turn up anything but they could have spelled your name wrong. Ask them to search by SSN. Thats what happened in my case...dont know what to tell you here. My only concern is that IF you say no and they find out, they might make it more difficult. If you are really really sure that there is no arrest record, then say no. You can even call the county police and ask them where you can find out if there is a record. One note of caution, if you do say 'yes' remember it might take you more time to get the visa. Be prepared for that. I had one arrest and null processed in court. Dont want to scare you but when I went to India to get the visa stamped (revalidated), it took them 6 weeks! Dont know what is the time at Canadian embassies for the same, if they decide to do a background check. Take all papers with you and court verdict.
Best of luck and Do update this thread as to what you did.

I went to the embassy in Toronto and got the visa stamping done. Luckily (thank god) they did not ask me many questions about the situation. The consulate looked at the deposition from court and was pretty cool about the situation. I also visited India and had no issues coming back.

depressed_desi said:
I went to the embassy in Toronto and got the visa stamping done. Luckily (thank god) they did not ask me many questions about the situation. The consulate looked at the deposition from court and was pretty cool about the situation. I also visited India and had no issues coming back.
:rolleyes: Nice to hear that.

How to get court records

Depressed_Desi,

Good to hear that you didnt have any problems with your India visit. Could you please tell me how to get the COurt Dispotion records? DId you send a written request to the court? How long did they take to send the documents?

Your answer is greatly appreciated.

depressed_desi said:

Did you say "Yes" for whether you are arrested are convicted?

goodphysq said:
Did you say "Yes" for whether you are arrested are convicted?

I said "yes" for the arrest and under explaination I said I was not convicted. The consulate asked about what happened and I explained. I showed him the disposition records and he had no problems with the situation. I was nervous but was saved by good grace :)

I tell u. You were really lucky for sure. :) And thats great! I went thru the same in India..the guy was very nice to talk to...granted my wife the visa..but told me that I feel bad for u..but I have to do my work..and sent for FBI check. I am glad they did not do the same for u..although they are supposed to do that.. Keep up the good luck!

Did you have to mention about your us arrest for Canadian visa?