are Tax transcripts necessary?

dengdeng

Registered Users (C)
On my interview letter, it didn't mention bring in tax transcripts. Do I have to bring tax transcripts with me? If so, how many years? What about this year's return?

Thanks!

On my interview letter, it didn't mention bring in tax transcripts. Do I have to bring tax transcripts with me? If so, how many years? What about this year's return?

Thanks!

Having a tax transcript is not MANDATORY but it's always advisable to have tax transcripts because adjudication officers always prefer to see tax transcripts over copies of tax returns. Plus, officers can demand at the interview to submit tax transcripts if they choose to prefer because of doubting on the legitimacy of tax returns documents, which could delay the adjudication of the application. I'm sure you must have heard people receiving RFE at the interview for submitting all kinds of documents even though those documents were/aren't mentioned on interview letter. Thus, it's better to have tax transcripts with you when you go to the interview because they are official record...something directly from IRS unlike copies of tax returns which don't say if they are legitimate or not unless you have certified copies of them. They prefer to see 5 years of tax transcripts. One can obtain it free of charge by calling IRS on 1-800-829-1040. IRS can also fax tax-transcripts right away as well; otherwise it takes only 7-10 days to receive them thru mail.

Good luck.

I called IRS, they said they can only provide 3 years of transcript. For 2003, 2004, they can give me tax account transcript.

How can you get 5 years of transcript?

What other documents do I need to bring?

I called IRS, they said they can only provide 3 years of transcript. For 2003, 2004, they can give me tax account transcript.

Call for 2003,2004 once u receive for 07,06,05..

Freenation.

For the last 6-8 months, IRS has found a trick to make money by making some changes on their system as their system now provides the tax transcripts only for the last 3 years at a time. So if someone would request more than 5 years' of transcripts at the same time then there is a charge of $59 or something like this. Thus, to request first 3 years' tax transcripts first and when one receives those then request other two years' tax transcripts but don't mention them that you previously requested other 3 years's tax-transcripts and now need TT from other two years; otherwise they might start saying about paying for other TT.

I did request 03 and 04 by phone they said they don't have those years transcripts but they mailed account transcript. After I received that I faxed the request for 03 and 04 and received a letter from IRS saying that they don't have 03 and 04 transcript.

Then tell USCIS that IRS can only give tax transcript for 3 years. If USCIS is not reasonable then accept the fact they are unreasonable and let them deny your application

If one cannot get a tax transcripts from IRS for whatever year for whatever reason then they must need to get a certified copies of their tax returns from IRS. However, keep it in mind that USCIS doesn't REQUIRE people to submit tax transcripts or certified copies of their tax returns but they can do so if they prefer at the interview if they will doubt the legitimacy of those tax returns. Burden to prove the case or submitting of documents always lie on applicants. Tax transcripts are free of charge, while certified copies cost money. Again, USCIS don't require tax transcripts or certified copies but they can if they prefer at the interview.

I did request 03 and 04 by phone they said they don't have those years transcripts but they mailed account transcript. After I received that I faxed the request for 03 and 04 and received a letter from IRS saying that they don't have 03 and 04 transcript.

That is correct they only have the last 3 years of tax transcripts,, for 03 and 04 they do have Account transcipts. Go ahead and ask for the ACCOUNT TRANSCRIPTS they are free and have most of the same information and they should be OK with USCIS.

hope that helps :)

are Tax transcripts necessary?

If the N400 case is very clean one like no long trips , no other complication like driving tickets etc etc.
then there is no need of taking the Tax transcript or any IRS documents.
Only take what they have asked to bring to the interview.
best of luck

This does not make sense. If I take 1040 duplicate copies for last 5 years what is the problem? Each year for the last 5 years I never owed any taxes to IRS, rather I always got refunds. I remember I got a RFE during gc processing for sending tax returns for last 2 years. All I did was mailed xerox copies of my 1040s and within a month my gc got approved. So what has changed since then??

Its all a guessing game really,,, Some IO's will ask to see tax transcripts, some will not, some will be OK with the the 1040 duplicate copies, others will ask to see tax transcripts and will not accept the 1040 duplicate copies,, ( thing is that USUALLY tax transcripts are asked for people filling under the 3 year married to a US citizen law OR for people who have left the US for longer than 6 months ). HOWEVER you never know what the IO will ask of you when you are at your interview, that is the reason some people go through the trouble of having these transcripts for the "JUST IN CASE" scenerio.

hope that helps :)

I have the exact same problem. How to ask for the account transcripts for 2003 and 2004? I can never speak to a human being on the other side. How do we get to do that? Is that a different number? Thanks for the help

It probably would not work in every city, but I got my tax transcripts by walking into the IRS office in Las Vegas, took a number, was called to a cubicle and a very nice lady printed the transcripts right away. It only took 10 minutes, and I got the 5 years I needed with no charge. Maybe you can call the local office and ask if they do that?

I am not getting the human either. Can any one help me to get to the human to ask for....

Go to your local IRS office and get the transcript. When I submitted my forms, I got 3 yrs thru the phone request and went to the office while waiting for the 3 yrs transcript to get the other 2yrs, and you should also know the 5 yrs is just on safeside. It is most current 3yrs that is requested by the USCIS

Last edited by a moderator:
It depends on which District Office you are interviewing at. It was not necessary for our interview in the Fairfax, VA office for the Washington DC district. I have seen stories on this forum where such documents were required in the New York DO. Look for interview experiences from your particular DO to get a good sense of what is asked and what is expected.

Firstly, DengDeng welcome to the citizenship forum. I remember you from our GC days.

I was glad that I had my transcripts for the last five years. I was asked about it, and could readily furnish it. It might also depend on how many travel trips you have and the duration. I had plenty of trips above two months each, and hence was asked to provide the transcripts.
I mailed in two Form 4506-T's to get 5 years of Tax transcripts. If you are requesting more than four years or periods, you must attach another Form 4506-T. It takes about two weeks from when they receive it.
I hope this helps.

Firstly, DengDeng welcome to the citizenship forum. I remember you from our GC days.

I was glad that I had my transcripts for the last five years. I was asked about it, and could readily furnish it. It might also depend on how many travel trips you have and the duration. I had plenty of trips above two months each, and hence was asked to provide the transcripts.
I mailed in two Form 4506-T's to get 5 years of Tax transcripts. If you are requesting more than four years or periods, you must attach another Form 4506-T. It takes about two weeks from when they receive it.
I hope this helps.

I faxed the same form for 2003 and 2004 but received a letter from IRS saying that they don't have those transcripts. I might try to go to local IRS office next week to see whether I can get those 2 years.

I hope this helps.
sai-2367

When I mailed Form 4506-T to get tax transcripts for the years 2003 & 2004, I got only Account transcripts. Is that sufficient ?