are Tax transcripts necessary?

I faxed the same form for 2003 and 2004 but received a letter from IRS saying that they don't have those transcripts. I might try to go to local IRS office next week to see whether I can get those 2 years.
What document did you ask for ? I ordered 1040 and got what I needed.

sai-2367

When I mailed Form 4506-T to get tax transcripts for the years 2003 & 2004, I got only Account transcripts. Is that sufficient ?
Should be good. The IO's are not IRS officers. They just need to save their behind, and will take the document and put it in your file, after verifying the dates.

What document did you ask for ? I ordered 1040 and got what I needed.

I asked for 1040. Today I went to local IRS office and asked for 2003 and 2004 Tax Transcipts. She told me that those year Tax transcripts are not available but she can give account transcripts...:mad:

Nobody of my naturalized friends (about 30) bring the tax transcripts with they and nobody were asked about that on their interview.

Transcript

I did my interview yesterday and the IO asked that I should mail him my previous 3 yrs tax returns and a police report from a domestic dispute arrest that occurred in 2001 though I was never charged.
In my application, I submitted original Tax transcript sent by IRS for the 3 years, but IO said needed the actual 1040 Tax return with W2 attached, which I had, but because I printed it that morning did not include my W2 he rejected it.
Just heads up for anyone going for interview, though he did not ask me for any other documents besides my GC, passport and DL. I also did the tests.

**** PLS NOTE: This is my personal experience. I’m not an attorney. Just one of you in the forum. ****

had to pay for 2004 and 2003

Getting the last 3 years transcripts is easy and free, however, for me to get 2004 and 2003 i had to pay ($59 for each year), called the IRS and pleaded, no joy, called intp the office same result..........................if you want them that bad got to pay.

Some people have got lucky and had them sent for free, maybe a rookie IRs offical, burt from reading about this on here over the past few months, you have to pay going back more than 3 years.

Whether I will be asked for them or not is a guessing game, but i got them just to be on the safe side and not to delay the process further at interview by being asked to bring back more documents.

Having a tax transcript is not MANDATORY but it's always advisable to have tax transcripts because adjudication officers always prefer to see tax transcripts over copies of tax returns. Plus, officers can demand at the interview to submit tax transcripts if they choose to prefer because of doubting on the legitimacy of tax returns documents, which could delay the adjudication of the application. I'm sure you must have heard people receiving RFE at the interview for submitting all kinds of documents even though those documents were/aren't mentioned on interview letter. Thus, it's better to have tax transcripts with you when you go to the interview because they are official record...something directly from IRS unlike copies of tax returns which don't say if they are legitimate or not unless you have certified copies of them. They prefer to see 5 years of tax transcripts. One can obtain it free of charge by calling IRS on 1-800-829-1040. IRS can also fax tax-transcripts right away as well; otherwise it takes only 7-10 days to receive them thru mail.

Good luck.

Does this mean that we can just bring the Tax Transcrips during interview and we can just leave the tax copies at home?

I requested for 5 years but they send me current year (08) plus 3 prior years (07, 06, & 05). For 2004 they sent a letter stating the "They provide transcripts for current year and 3 previous years".

Absrao, did the IO say what proofs of payment are acceptable?

I submitted 3 years' Tax Transcripts. (I filed based on marriage to USC).

In 2006, we had a refund. In 2007-2008, we owed taxes and we filed using Turbo Tax. I believe the software electronically sends payment from our bank account to IRS account. Are bank statements showing those transfers enough proof? Or do they need an IRS-issued document?

IO Noted the N14 (reinterview) saying I passed English and Civics. He then created his own check box (there are printed reasons/document they need). On the new checkbox he scribbled, he wrote "Bring Proof Of payments directly from IRS". He did not elaborate and he complained about the transcripts I had (the line item ones) saying how IRS confuses IOs with that information. He further said that some IOs even get confused with the negative numbers (basically IRS owe you money - refund) and send the people back to get proper IRS document to show zero account balance for the tax years.

I believe the Account Transcript is the one that shows account status as zero if all dues are paid or refund was processed etc. I suggest taking both types of transcripts (account transcripts and the other transcripts that show line items). Looking back, I would even take proof of cashed checks (if I had) so they cant give reason to send back.

Did your Tax Transcripts show that you owe taxes for that filing period only or that you have overdue taxes? He should be requiring proof of payment only if you have overdue taxes.

From the Guide to Naturalization:

If you have any federal, state or local taxes that are overdue, send:

A signed agreement from the IRS or state or local tax office showing that you have filed a tax return and arranged to pay the taxes you
owe; and

Documentation from the IRS or state or local tax office showing the current status of your repayment program.
NOTE: You may obtain copies of tax documents and tax information by contacting your local IRS offices, using the Blue Pages of your
telephone directory, or through its website at www.irs.gov

He said the IRS confuses IOs with the Tax Transcript format? I guess that IO is too busy to stop and try to understand a document that he has to look over several times a day.

He said IOs gets confused with negative numbers?? I think other IOs will get offended by his generalization of their mathematical competency.

I'm sorry your file ended up with this IO..

Last edited by a moderator: