Are passport photos taken at Costco valid for N-400 ??

olop

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

I saw quite a few folks here recommended Costco for the 2 photographs to be sent along with the application. I went to Costco and had them taken as the standard Passport photopgrah. On examining the photograph I see that they don't fulfill this requirement as mentioned in the Guide to Naturalization handbook "Be sure there is enough white space in the margin of the photographs so you will have room to sign your full name if your application is approved"

Can someone confirm if Costco passport photographs are valid to be send along with the N-400 application

Thanks.

Hi,

I saw quite a few folks here recommended Costco for the 2 photographs to be sent along with the application. I went to Costco and had them taken as the standard Passport photopgrah. On examining the photograph I see that they don't fulfill this requirement as mentioned in the Guide to Naturalization handbook "Be sure there is enough white space in the margin of the photographs so you will have room to sign your full name if your application is approved"

Can someone confirm if Costco passport photographs are valid to be send along with the N-400 application

Thanks.
Don't take any chances; just go back to Cosco to retake the pictures, they should honor their customers satisfaction policy

I mentioned this to the lady who took the pics. She told me Costco only takes photographs as per US passport specs and in that there is no signature involved hence they dont have those margins for space... She was like this is the only way we do.

I think I will go to another place where I can ensure they keep space at the bottom of the photograph.

As I know many people use Costco photo for application and passport. Just check all dimentions.

That white space margin requirement is not enforced as the IO will have you sign on the photo itself. I took my own pics (with no white margin) and had them printed at Wal-mart for $1.23. They were accepted and IO never mentioned anything about the white margin.

Costco, or Kinko's, or Walgreens or Ritz Camera or any other place that takes passport photos should be fine. I think the photos have to be 2x2 inches. As long as they are acceptable for passport they are acceptable for N-400 (unless someone proves me wrong). Bottom line, acceptable passport photos is the only thing you need for N-400 application.

Costco photos are ample sufficient. Don't waste your time and money getting too finicky about this. Good luck.

My naturalisation certificate proudly displays my Costco passport photo - with no white border in sight.

By the way, the white thing refers mostly about white space above your shoulders in the picture. All passport pictures have that. Again, don't worry about the Costco pictures.