Approval & Question

sal1786

Registered Users (C)
Applied for GC in 2000, received RFE in Feb 2005, and Approved on April 1st, 2005!. Question. On the approval notice it states " if you do not have a passport and require temporary evidence of your status, bring a third passport photo" It also states on Info pass to bring a valid passport. However, I don't have one? What do I do?

what was your Notice DATE (ND) in 2000?
Ignore infopass info, just bring the approval notice and 3 photos with you.
thats it.

congrats!!

Congratulations sal1786!!!

Did you got "request for initail evidence"(medical & G325A) or "request for more evidence" before you got your approval? Do you have to go for Biometrics too?

sal1786 said:
Applied for GC in 2000, received RFE in Feb 2005, and Approved on April 1st, 2005!. Question. On the approval notice it states " if you do not have a passport and require temporary evidence of your status, bring a third passport photo" It also states on Info pass to bring a valid passport. However, I don't have one? What do I do?

Congrats, sal! Just take the passport photo there (and ID) they will give you a temp card I think is a I-94 card with your pic and stamped with your new status PR

sal1786 said:
You only need 3 pictures and an id such as a driver license, RTD or employment authorization. They will give you a small temporary document called I-551 and few months later you will receive your plastic card. Good luck

Strange!

Congrats! but how can they approve June and there many people with earlier dates still waiting (May for me) :confused: :D ?

How Long for GC?

sal1786 said:

I made an infopass appt online, and went to CA for the GC process at the local INS office. They took all of my info including approval letter, I94, and EAD card, and they said I should get my GC in 4-6mths? However, they never gave me a receipt or anything in return? Is this the correct process?

Thanks,
Sal

Did they not give you I-94 with your pic on it and stamp saying processed for I-551.......?

they should have done that so that you could have something for proof because GC can take upto 1 year to arrive. If they have not done so, its a mistake. Go make another appointment and see them and ask for I-94.

folks..i think it's not 1 year anymore(or up to)..check this out .got from cis website.

"If you were granted permanent resident status or entered the U.S. with an immigrant visa more than 60 days ago and have not received your first permanent resident card, please call 1-800-375-5283"

Stamp phasing out

Last year USCIS came up with this idea to eliminate the I-551 stamp or temporary greencard or whatever you want to call them. This memo was bombarded by AILA and the immigrant community due to the fact that if USCIS stops these I-551 stamp then how would those PRs proof their status on POE. USCIS proposal was based on the fact that stamp is not very secure and could be faked. At the same time they were promising to dramatically reduce the time for mailing the GCs to the approved individuals.
Anyway, that rule wasn't implemented at that time but eventually these stamps will phase out and approved individuals will start receiving GCs within weeks. If Sal1786 didn't get the card it might mean that this stamping process is being eliminated and he'll get his GC within few weeks which might not be bad.
Sal keep us posted and.......... yeah....... big congrats on your approval big guy :)

Somehow CIS discriminates in issuing cards to Marriage based GC's and relative sponsor GC's. I have seen that happening for a long time. People obtaining GC through marriage, once approved, get their GC's within a weeks time frame. The Asylees are least important catergory for them (I guess) and every type of processing takes longer for Asylees. So if they stop issuing I-94 stamps, I think Asylees will still be in trouble for at atleast 6 months (where they do not have any proof of status) unless they also reduce the time frame for us also.

So my point is that do not compare time frame for issuance of marriage based GC's with ASylum based GC's. They are treated differently with different priority.

***Help****

I did not receive my GC yet, and it may take more time. However, now I have no identification for immigration purposes. Do I go back to my local office and ask for 155, and my 1-94 back? I even gave them my original approval (and yes, I was dumb not to make a copy). What shall I do?

Please advice.

Sal

Lazerthegreat said:
Did they not give you I-94 with your pic on it and stamp saying processed for I-551.......?

they should have done that so that you could have something for proof because GC can take upto 1 year to arrive. If they have not done so, its a mistake. Go make another appointment and see them and ask for I-94.