Applying N-400 from outside US

pbb123

Registered Users (C)
Assuming you have an approved N-470 and an approved re-entry permit, I believe you can apply for the N-400 even when you are outside the US. You would have to travel to the US for interview/oath etc, but I'm told fingerprinting can be done at a US consulate abroad.

Has anyone here done something like this? Please share your experience. Thanks.

FYI, I got my citizenship a week ago. I applied from abroad with an approved N-470. My interview and oath were on the same day at the San Francisco USCIS office. Mine was an administrative oath in front of a USCIS official in his office.

Bottom line:

1. If you have an approved N-470, and have accumulated the required physical residence, you CAN apply from abroad.
2. When applying, you can submit fingerprints on the FBI FD-258 cards and save a trip to the US for biometrics. I did not do this myself as I was not aware this was possible.
3. The 90-day residence requirement is NOT for the 90 days immediately preceding the filing of the N-400. Basically, you should have resided in that district for that period at SOME time in the past.
4. USCIS takes the view that an approved N-470 preserved BOTH continuous residence in general AND residence in the last district you lived in before leaving the US.

Assuming you have an approved N-470 and an approved re-entry permit, I believe you can apply for the N-400 even when you are outside the US. You would have to travel to the US for interview/oath etc, but I'm told fingerprinting can be done at a US consulate abroad.

Has anyone here done something like this? Please share your experience. Thanks.

Ultimately it comes down to YOUR particular circumstances, an N-470 approval MIGHT be the key but maybe not.