Applying Green Card for Parents During Citizenship Application

dineshgk

Registered Users (C)
Hello,

I got my Green Card in March of 2003. I will be able to apply for Citizenship after Five years after that date or around that time frame (probably 90 days before March 2008).

My parents have Indian Citizenship. I was told by someone that if i can get both my parents in US on visitor visa just before i apply for Citizenship then i can apply for their change of status (Green Card) at the same time. This way their Green Card can come within 3 months or so and if needed then they do not have to go back to India.

Please Confirm if this is true and if so then what is this type of processing called so that i can research more on this.

Thanks,
Dinesh

Read NASHOR's posts

I suggest you do a advanced search on posts made by "nashor" - I am in a similar situation as you and wanted to sponsor my parents, ask a few pertinent questions and got a number of good responses

Dinesh,
That "someone" just gave you the best case scenario. You are twelve months away from qualifying for N-400. National average for N-400 applicants throughout the country is six months. Assuming processing times stay the same, you are eighteen months away from potentially becoming a US citizen. When your parents apply for US visas, when (if, big if) they get them and when they use them needs to be timed well. Then there is always the grey area of having "immigrant intent".

Your parents will become "immediate relatives" the day you become a US citizen. This will hold true even if they are in India. How they get a GC will depend on where they are. If they are in the US at that time, AOS is the route to go. If they are in India, CP is. With the AOS route, intent is always questionable. Your folks may sail through the process or may get into hot water. No guarantees either way. The "3 months" processing time is also never guranteed. Very few district offices are finalising AOSes in three months. The CP route is what USCIS prefers and is the safer option of the two. Choose wisely.

dineshgk said:
Hello,

I got my Green Card in March of 2003. I will be able to apply for Citizenship after Five years after that date or around that time frame (probably 90 days before March 2008).

My parents have Indian Citizenship. I was told by someone that if i can get both my parents in US on visitor visa just before i apply for Citizenship then i can apply for their change of status (Green Card) at the same time. This way their Green Card can come within 3 months or so and if needed then they do not have to go back to India.

Please Confirm if this is true and if so then what is this type of processing called so that i can research more on this.

Thanks,
Dinesh

dineshgk said:

This would be illegal because your parents would be knowingly entering the country in an immigrant capacity using non-immigrant visas. B1/B2 visas have no dual intent, and using them as such can cause problems down the road.

Stop trying to game the system. Follow the rules and eventually you'll get what you want without putting anyone's immigration status at risk.

Parent and Sister.

My wife will be eligible to apply for the citizenship in October of this year. There is just a prediction, if :confused: if she will be naturalized by Oct. 2008, then apply green card for her mom, will she be able to bring her sister. Who will still be under 21? Please advise.

sarojaryal said:
My wife will be eligible to apply for the citizenship in October of this year. There is just a prediction, if :confused: if she will be naturalized by Oct. 2008, then apply green card for her mom, will she be able to bring her sister. Who will still be under 21? Please advise.

Possibly. I believe minor children are included with a parent's LPR, however it sounds like age-out could become an issue if your sister is nearing her 21 birthday.

Boatbod,
Minor children will not be included in the initial sponsorship of the parents. However, once the parents get their GCs and move to the US, they can sponsor their minor kids.

Triple Citizen said:
Boatbod,
Minor children will not be included in the initial sponsorship of the parents. However, once the parents get their GCs and move to the US, they can sponsor their minor kids.

I'm not positive, but there appears to be "follow-to-join" rules for minor children born before their parents LPR, that allows them to file I-485 at the same time as the parent. Effectively this would mean you can bring your kids with you.

Check with a lawyer, 'cos my knowledge of family based GC is a little fuzzy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Applyi g for Green Card for parents along with Citizenship papers by sponsorer.

Hello Dinesh

In order to sponsor for Green Card , the sponsorer should be a U.S. citizen according to me. I have not heard any person acquiring Green Card thro another Green Card Holder.