Applying for visa while on OCI

2010citizen

Registered Users (C)
My 5 year old son just got a new US passport, and his U sticker is on the old passport. I understand it is now a requirement to get the U sticker on the new passport as well, and carrying old and new passports alone is not sufficient. We dont have time to get the U sticker re-issued as we have to travel in the next few weeks. Can we apply for a visa and worry about the re-issuing of OCI later?

Please let me know.

TIA

My 5 year old son just got a new US passport, and his U sticker is on the old passport. I understand it is now a requirement to get the U sticker on the new passport as well, and carrying old and new passports alone is not sufficient. We dont have time to get the U sticker re-issued as we have to travel in the next few weeks. Can we apply for a visa and worry about the re-issuing of OCI later?

Please let me know.

TIA

Take the child new US passport that does not have U visa + Old passport that has U Visa and Take child OCI booklet.

**** I got PM from other poster that they landed at Mumbai airport and they did not face any problem. they had both US passports(one expired with U visa and other new US passport )of Child and OCI booklet.
Other case: child and mother land at Banglore Airport: Child new passport with no US visa and child OCI. The immigration officer asked for OCI booklet and mother did not take child OCI booklet with her. Child was granted tomporarry Landing visa and was told that get the OCI from US. got the OCI booklet from US(husband sent that) and the lady went to Airport to show the immigration officer the OCI booklet and they said not a problem

*** Post the update after your Visit

Good Luck!!

Like ginnu said, I think it is common sense to carry the 3 documents (old passport, new passport, OCI passport/card) if the OCI visa has not been transferred. While Babus are Babus, they are also human ... they will give less problems if the visa is just not transferred, and will hassle you if a document is missing. After all, if you child explodes a bomb (kidding), they have to answer to their boss why they let him/her in the country without papers, and all these things will come on TV channels.

Thank you. Carrying all 3 documents is not a problem at all. But I read on the OCI website that now it is mandatory for the U visa to be transferred to the new passport every time a new passport is issued for anybody under 20 years of age. I too read somewhere that if you carry both the old and new passports than you are fine, but the guidance is conflicting.

My questions is if one is allowed to take a visa in this case. I just want to be on the safeside and not have to face any hassles at the airport.

Thank you. Carrying all 3 documents is not a problem at all. But I read on the OCI website that now it is mandatory for the U visa to be transferred to the new passport every time a new passport is issued for anybody under 20 years of age. I too read somewhere that if you carry both the old and new passports than you are fine, but the guidance is conflicting.

My questions is if one is allowed to take a visa in this case. I just want to be on the safeside and not have to face any hassles at the airport.
Also read the below link and keep the Copy with you:

http://hcipos.org/cms/images/stories/PDF/difficulties faced by oci_holders.pdf

Thank you, this is very helpful. So it looks like if we carry the old passport with U sticker, new passport and the OCI card we should be fine.

The message on the OCI website is very contradictictory...they say you must get the OCI re-issued everytime there is a new passport under the age of 20. Oh well, I guess we"ll just have to take a chance..I will be sure to take the print out of this.

Thank you.

Please note that a) you do not require a visa, b) you will likely not get a visa (after having OCI), c) they will almost certainly let you in, and d) might create some paperwork hassle and a trip to FRRO but the chances of that are remote.

You can carry a print out of the whole website, but all that matters is the officer's mood, his/her knowledge of the rules, and if in trouble your skills in managing the officer and his/her superiors.