Applying for US Citizenship

enamel

Registered Users (C)
Hi Everyone!

I wish everyone and their families a happy holidays and New Year!

I would appreciate any help from this forum.

Basically, I got my green card (permanent GC), back in December 2005.

1)What is the best way of applying for a US citizenship?
2)Should I find a lawyer to handle this?
3)If I were to apply myself, where can I find the necessary forms to fill out?
4)when is the earliest time I can submit these forms?
5)What other information is necessary for me to do? (I am just a university student - I've never filed income taxes or anything or have had a job)
6)My mom told me that there is this "100 Questions" package that I'm supposed to study. Where do I find this?

I am totally clueless about the process and would appreciate any help. If possible, I'd like to do this whole thing on my own (without the use of a lawyer), as they charge very high fees (I've been told).

Thank you very, very much.

Best wishes,

Thank you very much guys!

I've already downloaded the PDF files.

As I got my GC back in Dec 2005, when is the earliest time I can send in my application and all the necessary documents?

Thanks you very much.

Sorry guys,

one more quick question:

I've never filed income taxes before, as I've never worked or had income in the past. Should I still file them for the last 5 years (even though income is 0?)

Thanks.

You're not required to file income tax if you have no income. However, be expected to be asked and provide evidence of how you supported yourself all this time.

As I got my GC back in Dec 2005, when is the earliest time I can send in my application and all the necessary documents?
You are allowed to apply as early as 90 days before your 5-year GC anniversary (although you cannot complete the whole process until the full 5 years are up). So you could have applied in September of this year.

You mentioned being a university student who has never worked, which means you are probably are late teens/early 20s and you probably were under 18 when you got your green card. Did either of your parents become a US citizen before you turned 18? If yes, you probably became a US citizen already (depending on certain other conditions).

I've never filed income taxes before, as I've never worked or had income in the past. Should I still file them for the last 5 years (even though income is 0?)
Are you sure your income was zero? Interest on bank accounts counts as taxable income. A scholarship is also taxable income if it pays for your room and board.

Last edited by a moderator:
You are allowed to apply as early as 90 days before your 5-year GC anniversary (although you cannot complete the whole process until the full 5 years are up). So you could have applied in September of this year.

If you got your GC in Dec 2005 you will only be eligible to apply in September of 2010.

Guys!!

Thanks so much!!!

I'm 25 years old, and yeah, I've never had any income including interest in bank accounts.

My mom became a US citizen only a few years ago (after I turned 18). She had a GC for over 40 years (I think) and never applied for citizenship.

Looks like I'll get everything ready so in September I'll have everything sent in.

My mom told me today to file my income taxes even though its zero... But thanks for letting me know today, that its not necessary.

Make sure that you are registered for selective service. If you are not registered yet, then do that since it can create issues during the interview.

Make sure that you are registered for selective service. If you are not registered yet, then do that since it can create issues during the interview.
That's only if enamel is male. Females are not supposed to register.

Enamel has other things to worry about, like getting a summer internship, or part time job during the school year, and a bank account and credit card to start building some credit history. Because a 25-year-old or older college graduate will have a very hard time getting a decent job with ZERO experience in anything. Employers looking at college graduates want to know that you have an internship or some other kind of exposure to the rigors and discipline of the working world, even if it just cleaning tables in the cafeteria or placing books onto shelves in the library. And it will be harder to get a decent apartment or buy a car without any credit history (the loan will have a higher interest rate if they give it you). Even the car insurance can be more expensive if you have no credit history.

...unless everything is paid for him even in the future by someone who has done it so far...which is still weird, IMO.
How can you not have worked, EVER? even if enamel doesn't need the money, he needs to do something.