Applying for N470 after filing for N400

chicago1111

Registered Users (C)
My company may potentially want me to relocate overseas early next year. I have applied for my N400 in Aug 08 and completed my finger printing in Sep 08.

Seems like NY DO is moving very slow and I may potentially not be able to complete the process in 1st quarter of 2009. I will be making a few trips every year to the US while I will be overseas.

Can I apply for N470 in the scenario I am transferred overseas. Will it stop my current N400 process. If yes, can I file for N400 when I return back after few years or will I have to go through continuous & physical residency.

Thanks

You can file N-470 after you filed N-400 in order to preserve your continuous residence requirement during the N-400 process.

Bobsmyth,

Thanks for the response. One more related question.

Does that mean I can work abroad and come back for my interview and oath ceremonies when they are scheduled. Will it affect my case given that I may be potentially living outside the US during the N400 process.

Based on my limited knowledge I have been compliant thus far on physical and continuous residency, good moral, etc..

Once you have your N-470 approved it will preserve your continuous residence requirement and any required proof of US residential ties during the time you are out of the country before your interview will be proven with the N-470.
On the other hand, if your N-470 isn't approved before interview, it will bring up more questions about your time outside the US.