• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Applying for Medicaid-public charge?

raffanti

Registered Users (C)
Hi folks
Just wanna check some details, I am in the US having won the DV lottery. I am single and not employed at present. I now wish to apply for some form of Health Care Insurance (Medicaid) and not wanting to be a public charge as this may well hinder my chances of Citizenship when I do apply.

I want to confirm that applying for Medicaid would not affect my chances. If so what the other best options around for health care coverage. I obviously don't want to pay the earth but also realise this is a capitalist market. Greatful for all your responses.

I want to confirm that applying for Medicaid would not affect my chances.
Public charge starts when you receive cash benefits, not when you apply for them. TANF is a clear public charge, so stay away from it. Medicaid is not a cash benefit, but in most states (if not nationwide) you will not be eligible for Medicaid before you reside in the LPR status for five years. The same thing with the food stamps. (Children under 18 can get food stamps regardless of this five years requirement.)

You can apply for any private healt care form and you pay less the more deductable you have. If you are healthy you probably want something for in case you got hit by a bus...that is a way of speaking, meaning in case something bad happens to you, so you won't go broke...

TANF is a clear public charge, so stay away from it.

Thanks a lot Mase and shame I'll not be eligible for Medicaid ..but what is TANF. Is that another Health Care program?

And thanks also Bentlebee for your info. Looks like I'll have to join the growing army of people paying more than they earn for health care.

dude,if the first step you wanna take in the US is to apply for medicare,you have probably no reasons to be in the US...that's pretty pathetic..

what is TANF. Is that another Health Care program?

TANF stands for Temporary Assistance for Needy Families. It is not a health care program, it is more like food stamps - TANF recipient gets certain amount of cash, but can spend it not only for food, but for other reasonable expenses (clothes, household items, bills, etc.).

Mas, thanks again for the reply and lets hope I'll never need TAFN.
Bentle, I've no kids but good for others to know.
Truffy, Read my original post....'I now wish to apply for some form of Health Care...' Medicare was one option. What's pathetic about exploring the choices that are available?

Mas, thanks again for the reply and lets hope I'll never need TAFN.
Bentle, I've no kids but good for others to know.
Truffy, Read my original post....'I now wish to apply for some form of Health Care...' Medicare was one option. What's pathetic about exploring the choices that are available?

That is why Rep. wants to give access to health ins. over State lines which make the rates go down when more ins. companies are competing, but unfortunately the Dem. don't want that....