• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Applying for citizenship

raffanti

Registered Users (C)
Hi You informed people, Could anyone enlighten me regarding the eligibiliy period and process of appying for citizenship. I have a green card (having won the DV lottery in Europe) and have been a resident here since 2008. I file taxes each year and have not been out of the country longer than the required period of time.

Thanks a lot

Hi You informed people, Could anyone enlighten me regarding the eligibiliy period and process of appying for citizenship. I have a green card (having won the DV lottery in Europe) and have been a resident here since 2008. I file taxes each year and have not been out of the country longer than the required period of time.

Thanks a lot

Even though you came as a DV, there is a better forum category for your present question. Anyway, go to www.uscis.gov and read all about it as you have some time yet before you can file an N-400.

Add 4 years, nine months and at least one day to the "resident since" date printed on your PRC and then you might be eligible to file an N-400, if otherwise eligible.

If you have reached 90 days short of the 5th year past the residence since date on your green card you can apply. Extended trips could alter that time with trips of over 1 year resetting the clock to zero. Once you have reached the time you can submit your N400 and any required supporting documents ( such as explanation for failure to file taxes or criminal issues )

Big Joe and S_O, thanks a lot for your replies, seems I have a few more months to wait. I'll check other sites also.

Last edited by a moderator:
The basic requirement is that the individual should be a green card holder who is at least 18 years old. The requirements related to residency must be satisfied while applying for citizenship. In normal circumstances, an immigrant should be a permanent resident for five years to be eligible for citizenship. If married to a US citizen, then it is three years of permanent residency. It is that the applicant should be married to a U.S citizen and should be living with that U.S citizen for the past 3 three years of their permanent residency for the criteria to be applicable. The applicant should have lived for at least three months in the same state or USCIS district where the application is going to be filed. Apart from this the other requirements include the good moral character, adequate knowledge of written and spoken English and US history as well as an attachment to the US constitution.

The basic requirement is that the individual should be a green card holder who is at least 18 years old. The requirements related to residency must be satisfied while applying for citizenship. In normal circumstances, an immigrant should be a permanent resident for five years to be eligible for citizenship. If married to a US citizen, then it is three years of permanent residency. It is that the applicant should be married to a U.S citizen and should be living with that U.S citizen for the past 3 three years of their permanent residency for the criteria to be applicable. The applicant should have lived for at least three months in the same state or USCIS district where the application is going to be filed. Apart from this the other requirements include the good moral character, adequate knowledge of written and spoken English and US history as well as an attachment to the US constitution.

So let me get this right for once. If one is in the US with a temporary visa and married a citizen, after 3 years of living together, one can get the right to file for citizenship?

So let me get this right for once. If one is in the US with a temporary visa and married a citizen, after 3 years of living together, one can get the right to file for citizenship?
Once you get your green card, 3 years to get your citizenship.

Thanks a lot
5 years and from that 5 years you have to been physically present 2.5 years in the country. And as said, after 6 month out of the country the clock starts at zero.

Ditto

The other forums mentioned above might be of better resource, but I think it is 3 or 5 years depending on how you got your GC. Good luck!