Applying for citizenship with marginal residency requirement - could it bea problem?

hotdoc68

I am going to fill my N-400 form soon (3-years marriage with US citizen rule). My concern is that I've stayed outside the US for about 17 months in total during that period (there was no single absence episode lasting more than 3.5 months). All my trip were business and education related (I'm self employed). I filled in my US taxes during these 3 years (jointly with my wife) Formally, I am still within necessary residence requirement but could this be a problem?

Thanks.

It will not be a problem. The requirements are very clear, if you have required number of days in the country, you are eligible...that simple.
Also partial days in the country count as full days...if that helps.

You meet the physical presence requirement, but meeting the continuous residence requirement would depend on how close together your trips were and how much evidence you can provide to show maintaining your ties to the US during those trips. If your 17 months is made up of 5 trips of 3 months each plus a 2 month trip, with only one week in between trips, it's going to be more difficult for you to get approved than if they were spread out with 2-3 months in between.

Since you're self employed, I assume your company is registered in US? US company ownership can be used to demonstrate residency ties, amongst other things.