Applying for Canadian Citizenship after having US Green Card

dhirendra_sh

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

I am eligible to apply for Canadian citizenship. Recently, I got US Green Card.

Should i apply for Canadian citizenship ?

Thanks

Hi,

Thanks

You could face problems (and may eventually end up in not getting it).

There is a question on the cdn citizenship form (#7D) - that asks you if you have a PR status in any other country - which you do. It could cause an issue (since you cannot have multiple "permanent resident" status at a time).

Tripple_Citizen and his family all did it. He's the one to ask, or you could search for posts by him, and see how he's spoken through the years

My thinking is that - Canadian citizenship application should clearly say that "if an applicant became a PR of another country, then applicant is not eligible to apply for Canadian Citizenship"

I am not sure though !

Dead right. I became a Canadian citizen in 2000 and immigrated to the US in late 2002.
My parents did it the other way. Became US citizens and then moved to Canada.

Not true. I think first he became cdn citizen and then he immigrated to the US.

When did you land in Canada?
When did you complete your three years of physical presence in Canada?
When did you acquire your US green card?

Hi,

Thanks

Your question and my answers are below :

When did you land in Canada? Dec/2004

When did you complete your three years of physical presence in Canada? Dec/2007

When did you acquire your US green card? Dec/2007

Taxes paid for 2004, 2005, 2006 and 2007

So have you moved to the US permanently or you still in Canada? When exactly were you issued your US green card through Montreal consulate?

Since you have not abandoned Canada as your country of residence, I think you have a reasonable chance. You now have a US green card, but you haven't taken up that permanent residence yet. This may work for you. You need to apply as soon as possible and need to ensure that until you take your oath, you continue living and working in Canada.

I had a US green card for a few years but was having trouble finding work because of the great recession. I am now working in Canada and thanks to the resource based economy here, jobs are extremely easy to find (especially in Alberta).

You may collect details from best Immigration experts ,,you must be eligible for Canadian citizenship...................because for Canadian citizenship eligibility criteria are different....................

1. Birth in the U.S.
  2. Birth to US Citizen parent(s).
  3. Change from Green Card to citizenship. (Naturalization).
  4. Your father U.S. citizen...but he gave it up."
  5. " your mother voted in Canada and lost her citizenship."
  6. "The U.S. Consulate once told me I'm not a citizen."

I understand this is an old topic, but I hope my information will be useful. To answer topic starter's question: ultimately, it is your decision whether you need Canadian citizenship or not. I think having multiple citizenships is very practical but can get very problematic to maintain to maintain the residency status (especially in the US). I was in the same situation 4 years ago: we got our US Green Cards and left for the States. On our way to the airport we dropped our Canadian citizenship applications in the mailbox and then kind of forgot about it, although I did check our process status online from time to time. After approximately 1 year we were called for a citizenship test, which we passed but we got RQed due to the fact that we had US immigration Visas in our passports. We submitted the necessary paperwork and after about 1 year we were invited to the ceremony.