Applying for B2 Visitor after GC issued but not used.

Discussion in 'B Visa Issues at the Consulate' started by rockstar8888, Sep 15, 2015.

  1. rockstar8888

    rockstar8888 Registered Users (C)

    I've applied for a GC for my parents and they got it approved more than 5 years ago. They have decided not to move to the US and are not interested. I'm applying for a B1/B2 visitor visa now. What is the procedure to this?

    Do we have to fill a separate form to surrender GC? Will they be rejected a visitor visa, since they have shown intent to migrate before?

    Any help is appreciated.

  2. newacct

    newacct Well-Known Member

    First of all, there is no such thing as "GC issued" if they've never been to the US. You can only get permanent residency while in the US (or temporarily away from the US in certain cases).

    You probably mean either 1) your petition for them was approved, or 2) they went through consular processing and got an immigrant visa. If they enter the US with an immigrant visa, they automatically become a permanent resident. If they don't use the visa, then all they have is an unused (and by now expired) visa. There is no "GC" here.

    In any case, if they want to apply for a visitor visa, then they just apply, and show strong ties to their home country.
  3. rockstar8888

    rockstar8888 Registered Users (C)

    What i meant was that, the last time they were here, they left before the approval came through. Now they have the Green card in hand, but have not used it to enter the country even once.

    They just want a visitor visa now, and not have to worry about green card time limits.
  4. Triple Citizen

    Triple Citizen Registered Users (C)

    They can formally surrender their GCs at the US consulate using form I-407.
    It will actually help them get their B-2 visas.


Share This Page