Applying for a visit visa B2 with family after a 10 year ban completed

jahan123

Greetings,
I went to USA in 1993 on F1 student visa, I got married to a US citizen in 1997 and filled for PR or green card without an Attorney, due to back log and having no Attorney to followup my application was delayed for more 4 years almost. My wife cheated on me and she filed a divorce, I hired an Immigration Attorney to defend my immigration status. The case went to immigration court and the judge told me that since your wife is not sponsoring you any more, you have to bring a new sponsor but unfortunately I couldn’t find anyone so I asked my Attorney to file for a voluntary departure. I was granted Voluntary departure by the Judge but the judge asked me to leave the country in their custody, my friend tried to approach the INS concerned staff so that he can arrange my air ticket to travel back to pakistan, but they told my friend that we are still working on his paper work and when its ready we will call you to arrange the ticket. Unfortunately, that never happened and I was thrown from one jail to the other and finally I was thrown in Louisiana Jail, where the US Marshal asked me to sign my deportation papers, which I refused to sign and asked him if he could let me speak to my Attorney. He got angry and stated that " OK buddy I will see you" and he left. I was put in a US government plane along with almost 200 other pakistani people and sent back to pakistan.
I think I fall under this section of the law:

Ten-Year Bar

You have a 10-year bar on reentry from the date of your removal if

o You failed to timely depart the U.S. under an order of voluntary departure issued by an immigration judge, causing the voluntary departure to be converted to removal order. [INA section 212(a)(9)(A)(ii)]

So keeping in mind the above section of the US Law, most likely they deported me. Any how, its been 16 years now. Can you tell me what to do next, to obtain a visit visa. I have also read that a waiver is not required if you have completed this 10 years time out side the US. Is it true??.

Now, Shall I write in my application for visit visa that I was deported or I was given a voluntary departure?.

I am holding a very stong position in the company I am working for, for the past 15 years. I have property worth a 1million US$. Plus I have more than enough in the bank account to afford 10 trips to US with family.

Please tell me what are the chances of getting my visit visa approved?. Shall I hire an Attorney to present my case?.
To be honest this deportation was forced on me even after I was granted a voluntary departure by the judge.
Kindly advise me on what to do? How to minimize the chances of rejection?.
Thanks and regards,
Jahan.

You apply for a B2 and find out. The CO will review the entirety of your record and will approve or deny based on facts in front of him/her. An attorney won't help. Your odds are slim as you have demonstrated clear immigrant intent.

If you were put on a US government plane, sounds to me like you were deported back to Pakistan.

Agree with 1Aurcitizen.
You’d need to be able to demonstrate significant ties to Pakistan (like owning a home, good job, family) to be granted a visit visa - this is true anyway, but even more so with this kind of background.

Agree with 1Aurcitizen.
You’d need to be able to demonstrate significant ties to Pakistan (like owning a home, good job, family) to be granted a visit visa - this is true anyway, but even more so with this kind of background.
Thank you for your reply. In the past 16 years, like I stated in my post that I have property worth a million dollars. Excellent job which I have from the past 15 years. Strong bank balance. My kids are going to the number one top most private school in the state. Honestly it can not get better than this, i can not even dream of this kind of life in US. Considering all the above mentioned changes in my life during the past 16 to 17 years, what are my chance?. Also keep in mind that i was granted a Voluntary departure but i was in their custody so how could I buy my air ticket on my own even though I had the money at that time. No one from the INS allowed me to leave USA with my air ticket. Basically deportation was forced on me. Thanks.

You apply for a B2 and find out. The CO will review the entirety of your record and will approve or deny based on facts in front of him/her. An attorney won't help. Your odds are slim as you have demonstrated clear immigrant intent.

If you were put on a US government plane, sounds to me like you were deported back to Pakistan.
Thanks foe your reply. Yes, you are correct that immigrant intent was there but I was young and didn’t know what else to do at that situation. Now the situation is totally different considering my family ties, financial and job status, it is very clear from my documents that I can not even dream about leaving the position I am at or even think about earning this much in the US.
The only reason to go to US is my that my kids want to go to Disneyland and universal studios. Me and my wife have no desire to go to US, we are doing all this for the kids only. Thanks.

Thank you for your reply. In the past 16 years, like I stated in my post that I have property worth a million dollars. Excellent job which I have from the past 15 years. Strong bank balance. My kids are going to the number one top most private school in the state. Honestly it can not get better than this, i can not even dream of this kind of life in US. Considering all the above mentioned changes in my life during the past 16 to 17 years, what are my chance?. Also keep in mind that i was granted a Voluntary departure but i was in their custody so how could I buy my air ticket on my own even though I had the money at that time. No one from the INS allowed me to leave USA with my air ticket. Basically deportation was forced on me. Thanks.

I doubt the CO is going to bother engaging on the details of voluntary departure not being accessible vs deportation. Your best bet is your current ties. Be prepared for “there’s a Disneyland in Paris” - maybe apocryphal but I’ve heard about this response being given, many people use Disneyland as a reason for wanting to visit US. The US does not easily forgive immigration violations, though with 16 years intervening and proof of strong ties you have a chance of overcoming that. It would certainly be useful if you come back and update us after your interview experience. Good luck!

I doubt the CO is going to bother engaging on the details of voluntary departure not being accessible vs deportation. Your best bet is your current ties. Be prepared for “there’s a Disneyland in Paris” - maybe apocryphal but I’ve heard about this response being given, many people use Disneyland as a reason for wanting to visit US. The US does not easily forgive immigration violations, though with 16 years intervening and proof of strong ties you have a chance of overcoming that. It would certainly be useful if you come back and update us after your interview experience. Good luck!
Honestly, After hearing all this, I am afraid to even apply or go any further than this because it will jeopardize my visits to other countries. I do have a schengen visa stamped for the whole family but its expired now. If I get reject from US consulate than other countries will also start denying me and will have no where to go. So, its better to stay away from all this. Thanks.

Honestly, After hearing all this, I am afraid to even apply or go any further than this because it will jeopardize my visits to other countries. I do have a schengen visa stamped for the whole family but its expired now. If I get reject from US consulate than other countries will also start denying me and will have no where to go. So, its better to stay away from all this. Thanks.

If the only reason you wanted to visit the US is because your kids want to visit Disneyland and Universal Studio, apply for a new schengen visa for the family. Paris has Disneyland, and Barcelona has Universal Studios also.

Any other Expert’s advise?? What kind of questions to expect? And what kind of preparations to make to improve my chances??.
Any help will definitely be appreciated.
Thanks,
Jahan.

Any other Expert’s advise?? What kind of questions to expect? And what kind of preparations to make to improve my chances??.
Thanks,
Jahan.

We just gave you the solution as to how your kids can visit the two places you claimed are your only reason for wanting to visit the US.

Anyway, no one here can prepare you on how to improve your chances regarding a US visa, your history will speak for itself. So apply and find out

Thats a very discouraging reply. I guess I will have to email this whole scenario to the Law firm. Maybe they can answer it better.
Thanks for your reply.
Jahan.

Yeah the response is discouraging because it is not in line with that you want to hear. Sure, email the scenario to some law firm for better advice.

Good luck!

Thats a very discouraging reply. I guess I will have to email this whole scenario to the Law firm. Maybe they can answer it better.

They'll certainly charge you more than we did for the answer you hope will be better...even if it's not.

(As an idle observation, you do seem prepared to go to quite some lengths to get a tourist visa for a children's holiday that is available elsewhere in the world too. Most people don't bother with attorneys for tourist visas.)

Often there are not even any real questions in an interview for a B visa and/or the applicant is not asked to present evidence - decisions are often largely made beforehand based on the answers given in the DS160. COs don't spend nearly as much time evaluating tourist visas as they do immigrant and J/F/H/O etc visas. You can take evidence of your million dollar property and your good job and your kids continuing enrolment in school, etc, and hope that they ask to see it, other than that there's not really much you can do.

Couple of points..
When you apply for a visa, any CO is going to review the paperwork behind what seems like a lengthy 4-yr wait (if I read that right) to Adjust status in the 90s. Perhaps something in your background may have been an issue?
And as others have noted, on one hand your sole reasoning for a US visa is for your kids to visit Disneyland, etc, but you appear mighty discouraged at the alternate prospect of similar Entertainment in Europe. One could sense a level of desperation to be willing to seek paid Legal advice for a B2 visa, which will not make one iota of difference.

Odd for someone with a net worth of crores/millions to be seeking advice on a free public forum.
I guess you are all taking my point of view completely wrong. You are thinking that I am lying. Also you are thinking that I am going back to US for permanently staying there. No No that is not the case by far. I said it and saying it again I am doing very well at my current situation, financially and family wise. Couldn’t have even asked for more. Having millions and asking advice on a free site. Yea I have already discussed this issue with my old immigration Attorney, He says you have a good chance. I wanted to take other opinions so I ended up over here. Bad idea!!. I am not a criminal, I was given a voluntary departure but I was not allowed to leave and than deportation was forced upon me. I didn’t want to be miss understood and get rejected, thats why I was thinking about hiring an Attorney. Not for the visit visa but to clear out the past issues which I had. People on here are judgmental and sarcastic rather than advisors. Get a life!!. Learn to love people around you. Instead of passing sarcastic remarks. I am deleting this account.

It’s interesting someone who threatens to close their account is still showing up as actively present 40+ minutes after the threat.
I dont know how to close this account. Kindly remove this post and close my account if you are the super moderator.

I dont know how to close this account. Kindly remove this post and close my account if you are the super moderator.

Just sign out of your account and don’t bother to sign in or post with it again. This thread will die a natural death when no one posts on it again.

Some translations often needed on immigration forums:

“you are lovely people“ = You tell me what I want to hear

“you are sarcastic judgmental people who need to get a life” = You give me an honest assessment of the facts but it isn’t what I want to hear