Applying for a new TN following border problems

katrina665

Registered Users (C)
I have acquired 2 TN statuses as an accountant. My last TN expired when my employment was terminated early (July 2009). I returned home within the allotted amount of time but did not turn in my TN as I had lost my passport in the move and did not know that I needed to do so. I have been living in Canada since. When myself and my two American born children tried to cross the border into the U.S. at the beginning of this month (Jan 2010) the agents believed that I was trying to move myself to the U.S. with no permission. They thought in fact that I had never left until I showed them my vehicle import forms from July. I was trying to bring my kids to go visit their father and to take 2 CPA exams and only planned to stay a month. They thought that I had too much stuff in my car for a visit, questionned me very intensly, and acted as though they didn't believe me. They gave me permission to stay only a month and turn in my document on the way home.

Since then I have secured new employement in the U.S. and am about to return home to Canada (at the end of my month long stay) for a couple weeks and would like to request a new TN. After this previous experience I am a little shook up about applying for this TN. I understand completely that I need to return home after my visa expires but am not sure how to convince these people of that. Should I apply at another border crossing? Does anyone have any input on whether or not I should run into problems? :eek:

Can you apply for a 3 yr TN now?

Also, can someone clarify with me if I am supposed to apply for my TN on my way to work in the U.S. or upon returning to Canada? I have had a couple people tell me different things. :confused:

Thank you for any input that anyone might have!

Last edited by a moderator:
You will get your TN upon entering US, so that will be on your trip DOWN. You hand in your I-94 to the Cdn agent as you cross the border, they will record your entry and remit the I-94 to the US customs.

Now you see the importance of turning in an I-94 when leaving the US 'for good'.

Although I agree totally with the manner in which you were questionned by the border last time (your situation appeared very suspicious), I don't forsee any problem for you to get the TN.