Applying for a B visa...What are my chances?

latvian

Registered Users (C)
Hello,

I am a GC and have a Swedish wife and son. My wife and son wanna apply for a B visitor's visa to come and visit me in the US. I am wondering what are the chances for them to get such a visa bearing in mind that my wife entered the US 6 times on a visa waiver program and never over stayed. Also she studies in Sweden, has her whole family (parents, brothers, uncles, aunts, grandmother, everyone...) living in Sweden, and my son who is a toddler has a periodic checkup at the pediatrician and dentist, has a schedule of future vaccination. Is the above mentioned enough to prove that they are not going to overstay in the US and that they have ties to Sweden?

Thanks in advance...

I presume your wide and child want to stay for longer than 90 days if they want a B2 visa.

It's not easy to say whether their circumstances overcome their immigrant intent, but my opinion, having read many similar accounts, and knowing people personally in a similar situation, is that despite your GC status and presence in the US, for now they would qualify because of their ties to Sweden. Of course, you never know what officer they'll get at the embassy, but given that the country in question is Sweden, I feel they have a good chance of getting a B2 visa.

I presume your wide and child want to stay for longer than 90 days if they want a B2 visa.

It's not easy to say whether their circumstances overcome their immigrant intent, but my opinion, having read many similar accounts, and knowing people personally in a similar situation, is that despite your GC status and presence in the US, for now they would qualify because of their ties to Sweden. Of course, you never know what officer they'll get at the embassy, but given that the country in question is Sweden, I feel they have a good chance of getting a B2 visa.

Thank you very much for the reply. I know that there are no guarantees and the visa process depends on the officer. I have also filed a petition for them, I-130, would that be a positive thing or a negative thing if mentioned during the interview?

Hmm, if that is mentioned, then there is CLEARLY immigrant intent. When is your wife done with her studies? They are, in essence, planning on joining you permanently, right?

So, why exactly do they want to apply for a visa? What's wrong with continuing to use the VWP?

Hmm, if that is mentioned, then there is CLEARLY immigrant intent. When is your wife done with her studies? They are, in essence, planning on joining you permanently, right?

So, why exactly do they want to apply for a visa? What's wrong with continuing to use the VWP?

You are absolutely right that they are going to join me after she finishes her studies but the problem is that they gave her a very hard time the last time she wanted to enter the states saying that she is abusing the VWP and that she HAS TO apply for a visit visa if she, and my son, wanted to stay for a longer time, so that's why we want to try the visit visa thing...