Applying Citizenship for wife while she is out of US

gv_usa

Registered Users (C)
Question:

Me and my wife are Green card holders since June 3rd 2007.

(1) Are there any disadvantages if we apply after March 3rd 2012 (4 yrs and 9 months) or is it recommended to wait till June 2012 and then apply?
(2) My wife needs to go to India and stay there due to unavoidable personal reason. Is it required that my wife is physically present in US when we apply for citizenship? Can she come here after we get the FP notice if I can apply from here for her.

Thanks and I really appreciate reply to this.

GV

There is no need to wait for full 5 yrs. You guys become eligible after 4 yrs 9 months.

Use this link (calculator) to exactly determine your eligibilty to apply.

http://www.uscis.gov/dateCalculator.html

As long as she can sign her form then that should be fine but she needs to be in the country for her biometrics. You will get the FP notice atleast 3 weeks prior to the apptt anyways.

Last but not least, she will need to update her travel dates with the officer at the day of the interview. Make sure she saves her boarding passes and copies of her itinerary/tickets incase the officer wants to see it on the day of the interview to update his records & N-400 form.

Good luck

The application can be submitted when she's abroad, but she must be in the US for FP, interview, and oath, and she must not spend so much time abroad that it jeopardizes her continuous residence. Applying when she's still abroad for a long time would involve the expense of multiple trips to the US during the process, and increase the risk of denial by creating the impression that she's already relocated abroad permanently. To maximize her chances, she should wait until a few months after the end of the long stay in India.

Question on filling N400. Applying while wife is out of US

My wife had to be in India while I apply for her Citizenship. She plans to come her after I get the FP notice.

Question:
In the N400 form what should I put for date entered US? Should I fill the date left US and leave the enter US date blank for this trip or just leave both the Left US and Enter US date for this trip and fill up the new form for the interview? Hope I am making the question clear.

Thanks
GV

I don't remmeber one has to put down dates of his /her spouse last trip on N-400

If it is your own trip or your wife's N-400, I think you can just leave it blank or put
down a expected date (and write expected on the magin). During interview, provide
actual dates.

It is just a trifling issue.

(1) Are there any disadvantages if we apply after March 3rd 2012 (4 yrs and 9 months) or is it recommended to wait till June 2012 and then apply?

Be careful here. USCIS interprete 3 month as 90 days. So RIght after March 3rd may be 1 or 2 day too
early. It should be March 5th. To be safe, consider March 7th.

Applying early usually lead to your natualization early but not always. But the odds are better if you apply early. The only twitch is that if USCIS in your jurisdiction process N400 very fast, and if you apply on March
7, your are scheduled for interview and expect to take oath before your egibidle date and thus you have to be delayed. Delay may not be linear so you may end up getting citizenship even much late than you would have apply late.

As long as she can sign her form then that should be fine

N-400 forms are file individually, not jointly, and every applicant is required to sign his/her application (even if that application is prepared by a third party, such as a lawyer or a spouse). The OP's wife must sign and date her N-400 application herself (and the date indicated must be the true date that she actually signed it). So if she leaves the U.S. before March 6, she would have to send her N-400 from abroad.

Last edited by a moderator:
My wife had to be in India while I apply for her Citizenship. She plans to come her after I get the FP notice.

Question:
In the N400 form what should I put for date entered US? Should I fill the date left US and leave the enter US date blank for this trip or just leave both the Left US and Enter US date for this trip and fill up the new form for the interview? Hope I am making the question clear.

Thanks
GV

You can either enter the date she will return, or leave it blank and have her update it at interview. What's important is how long she has been outside the US during her statutory period. I assume you have had her sign the application before she left to India, correct?

Question:

Thanks
GV

Why the rush? First of all, she needs to sign and date her application, you cannot sign and date for her. This might raise some red flags with the USCIS since her application date will fall on a date where she is out of the country. I would strongly recommend to let her apply, sign and date the application when she is in the US.

Last edited by a moderator: