Applying citizenship but lost my passport

Dear Dear mh66ii:

I have posted this in an anohter forum. But would like to get your feed back on this
I am LPR through an asylum and in a couple of month be ready to apply for citizenship. I obtained my green card on Mar 2005 (resident since date).

My question is , is it an issue to go for citizenship interview without a passport? I have a police report 1.5 years ago that I lost it when I moved to another state. I have also an email receipt when I purchased the ticket online showing departure and arrival and flight numbers. I have also copies of passport with stamps.

I have never gone back to COP or any country close by. But back in 2007 I have renewed my passport through an embassy here (with no problem) and used the passport to travel to Canada for 27 days (never traveled any where else before this or after this). There was a family emergency (paying respect for a dead close family member) and I have email proof from my Dad and other close relatives about this. I couldn’t wait for RTD or travel document b/c at that time it took forever to process and they charge s&*^% loads of money for it and it wouldn’t make sense to travel after waiting for long time.

I really appreciate if you guys give me some insight into this. I would welcome any honest feedback to help my case.

I don't see any reason to be worry about your case if what you are saying is true. Rewnewing and using NP to travel to other countries could not be the ground for denying your ctizenship.The whole story about renewing NP, using it and losing it but having copy of it before losing will be kind of fishy, How about any possible usage of the passport in last a year and half if it has not been lost and it is just a claim?I would do this,give them your passport copy if asked,If they have any doubt that you might have used it in last a year and half would be easy for them to find out. USCIS can pull your exit, entry record which one of the information it contains is used passport number and if there is no activity under that passport number after you claim of losing it,or at least have not used it so going back to cop question will be clear. your case will make anybody to suspect that you might have used it to go back at least on a year and half ago and now trying to hide it but if you really did not go back to cop specially on a year and half ago.Just explain it on detail on your interview if there was any question in officers mind.Collect document to back your case.In my opinion if you can not convince them about possible questions they might have, they won't just deny you unless they find out discripency betwen what you said and what really has happened even if the minor one so I am suggesting to be very careful with the answers you giving and consider to tell all the detail correctly and act confedent.As I always have said, after all they might not even ask about it but it's better to be preapered.Good luck

Last edited by a moderator:
Should they be able to get my in and out history from their own record instead of my passport?

dear IZBECOMINGUSC

dont worry about your passport

first thing you need to do is to get police report

about the citizenhip interview, most likely you may not get a decision after the interview, they may need to review your travel history,

they will mail you the decsion after few days,

the most inmportant thing is never lie at the interview, try to be honest
if they asked you about going back to yor country just tell the truth

i had my interview in sep, i did not get the decision immediately

i travelled a lot, i listed over a dozen trip in my application,

i gave them my passport and recent travel document, my officer asked me where are the stamps of departure and arrivals,

i explained to her that i mailed all my old travel documents to nebraska each time i applied for new one

my officer then told me that she cant approve me until she review my travel history

after few days i got oath letter

I would do this,give them your passport copy if asked,If they have any doubt that you might have used it in last a year and half would be easy for them to find out. USCIS can pull your exit, entry record which one of the information it contains is used passport number and if there is no activity under that passport number after you claim of losing it,or at least have not used it so going back to cop question will be clear.

Thanks mh66ii for your prompt reply appreciate it. I have luckily saved the email I got when i booked the ticket online. I am assuming this is what you mean by entry and exit information. I am assuming also either they get the same information feed from the airline or the information entered at the IO at the POE.( I remember he slides my GC and entered some information as well.) either case the proof is there. Thanks again for your input.

As I always have said, after all they might not even ask about it but it's better to be preapered.Good luck

TRUE !! I have seen in other forums where the IO didn't even looked at the NP or other travel documents. I wish the IOs work on standard interview format/procedures and not on their daily feelings !!:confused:

When I refer to exit and entry record, I mean that, CBP computer has all your exit and entry record data and they can recover that information and it containes passenger name,A Number, passport number,Airline and it's flight number, destination, and some other travel related information.

Last edited by a moderator: