Applied for citizenship under 3 years marriage to USC, still pending, will file for divorce...

And remember, your greencard is based on marriage and they can go after it at any time.
The OP already had conditions removed. A future divorce would not cause them to go after his GC.

Last edited by a moderator:
To OP:

I do agree to some of the advise Faysal said, that is pursue, follow up and ask help from your Congressman for your original N-400 assuming you and your wife are still living in the same roof. But I don't think your GC will be removed or will be in question since it was already proven (in USCIS' eyes) that you married in good faith that is why your conditions were removed. The problem lies when/if you do get a schedule oath date and at that time you are already separated. If that happens then you need to withdraw and re-file.

I'll probably visit my congressman office and ask. Did you guys hear about congressman helping to expedite or as in my case, bring back to life cases of naturalization? How long would that usually take?

To OP:

I do agree to some of the advise Faysal said, that is pursue, follow up and ask help from your Congressman for your original N-400 assuming you and your wife are still living in the same roof. But I don't think your GC will be removed or will be in question since it was already proven (in USCIS' eyes) that you married in good faith that is why your conditions were removed. The problem lies when/if you do get a schedule oath date and at that time you are already separated. If that happens then you need to withdraw and re-file.

I'll probably visit my congressman office and ask. Did you guys hear about congressman helping to expedite or as in my case, bring back to life cases of naturalization? How long would that usually take?

No one I know personally but I read someone's N-400 taking so long to forwarded to the District Office. Within a month they got an interview but the oath was scheduled 4 months. You can check it out: britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=172265. By the way, unless they have a problem with you or wanted to double check something they shouldn't have cancelled your interview. IF there is no problem, the congressman should be able to help you since you were already approved.

Also, try googling other cases there might be more out there.

Possible interventions include:

1)Contact congressperson to inquire on your behalf.
2)Contact USCIS Ombudsman to inquire about your case.
3)File 1447(b) lawsuit to force USCIS to adjudicate your case.

You are likely stuck in name check and the only way get the ball moving is to file a lawsuit. This assumes you currently aren't separated and you can hold off any separation/divorce until after oath.

The alternative is to withdrawal your application and reapply under 5 year rule when you become eligible.

Hey gaby,
Just to clarify, they didn't cancel my interview, they canceled my oath ceremony. (I passed the interview and got a letter on that), later got invitation for the ceremony, and a phone call 2 days before it told me not to come.

No one I know personally but I read someone's N-400 taking so long to forwarded to the District Office. Within a month they got an interview but the oath was scheduled 4 months. You can check it out: britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=172265. By the way, unless they have a problem with you or wanted to double check something they shouldn't have cancelled your interview. IF there is no problem, the congressman should be able to help you since you were already approved.

Also, try googling other cases there might be more out there.

I'm already eligible under the 5 year rule as of 4 months ago....

Possible interventions include:

1)Contact congressperson to inquire on your behalf.
2)Contact USCIS Ombudsman to inquire about your case.
3)File 1447(b) lawsuit to force USCIS to adjudicate your case.

You are likely stuck in name check and the only way get the ball moving is to file a lawsuit. This assumes you currently aren't separated and you can hold off any separation/divorce until after oath.

The alternative is to withdrawal your application and reapply under 5 year rule when you become eligible.

Hey gaby,
Just to clarify, they didn't cancel my interview, they canceled my oath ceremony. (I passed the interview and got a letter on that), later got invitation for the ceremony, and a phone call 2 days before it told me not to come.

Sorry for the typo. I meant oath :) It should be easier for you since you already got approved. Just explain everything in the letter to the Congressman. :)