AP usage

newbies

Registered Users (C)
Hello,

I have a question:
If I use AP to come back to US in the future (since my visa is expired), DO I have to had EAD to work or can still use the valid H1B paper?

My H1B is still valid for another 2 years (I just finish my 4th year) and I don't want to drop it.

Thanks,

I am in the EXACT same position. My visa expired in May, but I have my H1B extension until May 2008. I talked to my lawyer today and he said that if you leave and come back on AP then you abandon your H1B status, so what you should do is get an EAD and convert your status at your company prior to travelling.

Alternatively, you could try getting a new visa when you travel abroad and use that instead of your AP.

newbies said:
Hello,

I have a question:
If I use AP to come back to US in the future (since my visa is expired), DO I have to had EAD to work or can still use the valid H1B paper?

My H1B is still valid for another 2 years (I just finish my 4th year) and I don't want to drop it.

Thanks,
if H1B is valid u dont need to use parole.

even if u used AP u can still work on H1B.

My H1B visa is expired but I have valid H1B status, EAD and AP. When I travel outside, I can come back in using AP. For that I do not have to change to EAD, right? I read somewhere is that as long as H1B status is valid, you can enter using AP and still be on H1B. Do not need to get H1B visa in that case, right?

Last edited by a moderator:
dcmetro22042 said:
My H1B visa is expired but I have valid EAD and AP. When I travel outside, I can come back in using AP. For that I do not have to change to EAD, right? I read somewhere is that as long as H1B status is valid, you can enter using AP and still be on H1B. Do not need to get H1B visa in that case, right?
If ur H1B is expired how do u plan to work if u dont want to use ead?

remember ur ap is based on pending 485 and has nothing to do with ead.
you can use ap to 're-enter' us as long as ur 485 is not adjudicated[provided ur ap has not expired]. hope this helps.

newbies said:
Hello,

I have a question:

Thanks,

Here is the final answer from my company lawyer.

If I never use EAD to work (submit EAD with I9), my H1B status is still VALID.
So, I could go out and in the country with AP (DON"T NEED TO HAVE H1B VISA) and still working using the H1B status. I could still extended the H1B status later.
That is only applied if I work for the same employer who applied for my H1B and I485. If I change employer during this period, I need to use EAD or H1B transfer (if I am still under 6 year period).

Additional, if my wife uses the EAD to work, it does not affect me or anyone in my family. The onlything is she will lose her H4 status.

Guys, please allow me to share my experience with you. If you have both, a valid H-1B visa stamp on your passport AND an AP, you may choose either them to enter the country at the port of entry. Although, CBP officers prefer that you enter with the AP when you have a I-485 pending.
In the case scenario that your visa stamp is expired but have an approved extension of stay, remember that you are supposed to return your I-94 card when you depart the US unless traveling to contiguous foreign countries by ground (Canada-Mexico).

Once you return your I-94 you can only resume your H-1B status if you have a valid H-1B visa stamp and entered the country on that status (last action rule). Otherwise, you will be entering the country on your AP based on your I-485 pendency and your will need to have a valid EAD not to violate your I-485 pending adjustment status which could make you ineligible to adjust for having worked without authorization.
My question now is, why would someone who is in the adjustment process not file for the EAD and AP all together? :rolleyes:

BTW, is your company lawyer an IMMIGRATION ATTORNEY>?? or just a corporate lawyer? He should know this.

jetector said:
Once you return your I-94 you can only resume your H-1B status if you have a valid H-1B visa stamp and entered the country on that status (last action rule). Otherwise, you will be entering the country on your AP based on your I-485 pendency and your will need to have a valid EAD not to violate your I-485 pending adjustment status which could make you ineligible to adjust for having worked without authorization.

The Cronin Memorandum from INS explicitly contradicts this. If you have a valid H-1B petition, you may use your AP to enter and still work for the H-1B employer for the duration of the petition, provided you work solely for the H-1B employer (ie. only do what you could legally do with an H-1 only).

My question now is, why would someone who is in the adjustment process not file for the EAD and AP all together?

Because they don't need an EAD if they have an AP and don't work on the side, or they are exempt from the visa requirement?

jetector said:
My question now is, why would someone who is in the adjustment process not file for the EAD and AP all together? :rolleyes:

here is what I think in addition to what TRC says...

until H1B is valid you can use it to enter US and also work for your H1B sponsoring employer so you dont need to apply EAD and AP.

But once H1B is expired you need AP to re enter US after foreign travel and if you are in AOS. Also since H1B is expired you need EAD to work.

TRUE, you definitely don't need to file for AP & EAD. If you enter the country with H-1B, you don't need to have EAD. However, if you decide to enter the country with the AP, then you are no longer in the country on H-1B status. You were "paroled in", therefore, you will need to have a valid EAD to work. Otherwise, you are working without authorization. Even you may have a valid H-1B "approval notice" on hand, that doesn;t give you the automatic right to work unless you are in the country on that status. Everytime you travel abroad and come back in, your status gets reset. If you entered the country on a different status like on this case scenario (paroled), you are no longer on H-1B status on that entry. If you want to re-activate or work based on your H-1B approval, you MUST enter the country on H-1B using your valid visa.

jetector said:
TRUE, you definitely don't need to file for AP & EAD. If you enter the country with H-1B, you don't need to have EAD. However, if you decide to enter the country with the AP, then you are no longer in the country on H-1B status. You were "paroled in", therefore, you will need to have a valid EAD to work. Otherwise, you are working without authorization. Even you may have a valid H-1B "approval notice" on hand, that doesn;t give you the automatic right to work unless you are in the country on that status. Everytime you travel abroad and come back in, your status gets reset. If you entered the country on a different status like on this case scenario (paroled), you are no longer on H-1B status on that entry. If you want to re-activate or work based on your H-1B approval, you MUST enter the country on H-1B using your valid visa.

I think you are wrong. If you use EAD it invalid H1B not AP.

I never said using EAD would invalidate anything. What I'm trying to clarify is that a person can choose either the H-1B or AP to enter. If you enter with the H-1B visa, you are authprized to work by virtue of your H-1B status. However, if you enter the country on AP, it only allows you into the country to resume your I-485 pending application. If you do this, you MUST have a EAD to work. You cannot enter the country with an AP and work based on your H-1B approval if you have no EAD because you didn't enter the country on your H-1B status. The fact that a non-immigrant H-1B visa allows the "dual intent" doesn't mean that you may be in the country in two different status...

jetector said:
I never said using EAD would invalidate anything. What I'm trying to clarify is that a person can choose either the H-1B or AP to enter. If you enter with the H-1B visa, you are authprized to work by virtue of your H-1B status. However, if you enter the country on AP, it only allows you into the country to resume your I-485 pending application. If you do this, you MUST have a EAD to work. You cannot enter the country with an AP and work based on your H-1B approval if you have no EAD because you didn't enter the country on your H-1B status. The fact that a non-immigrant H-1B visa allows the "dual intent" doesn't mean that you may be in the country in two different status...

Thanks! for clarification but my attorney told me different. I can use AP to re-enter USA and continue work on H1B.
Still now I am in impression that I can re-enter with AP and work on H1B not an EAD. I have EAD but some reasons I do not want to use it.
Could you please provide me any url to support this I want to forward it to my attorney.

H-1B aliens traveling with Advance Parole

Please read:

05/05/2005: Approaching Summer Travel Season and H-1B Traveling With Advance Parole
(http://www.immigration-law.com/Archive XI.html)
Summer is on our door step and schools will take a long break allowing students and employees of the schools to take a vacation and traveling abroad. There are a substantial number of EB-485 filers who maintain a H-1B status and at the same time possess an Advance Parole. Some of these EB-485 filers may want to travel on Advance Parole rather than on H-1B because of the complication and delay in obtaining the H-1B visa stamp at the visa posts.
People are confused as to whether they can return to the U.S. using Advance Parole and continue the H-1B employment without EAD. The answer to this question is confusing because the legacy INS flip-flopped itself in the past. Initially, it was policy that such H-1B alien who returns to the U.S. without EAD could not work as he/she was no longer H-1B nonimmigrant and did not have employment authorization. However, this memorandum was short-lived, being later amended and rescinded.
The current rule is that the H-1B aliens who return to the U.S. using Advance Parole will be able to resume the employment authorization which is inherent in the H-1B status inasmuch as the following conditions are met: (1) The employment is resumed with the same H-1B employer. (2) The H-1B approval must remain valid, even though one does not need a valid H-1B visa stamp. Once the H-1B validity expires, so does the employment authorization. Such an alien cannot continue employment unless he/she obtains either EAD or extension of H-1B status. The H-1B alien is returning to the U.S. as a parolee when they use Advance Parole and their status remains a parolee and not a H-1B nonimmigrant, but current rule and policy allow such H-1B approved aliens two benefits pending finalization of its policy on this issue and release of a regulation. The first benefit is employment authorization during the period of valid H-1B approval even though his/her status is no longer H-1B. The second benefit is eligibility for extension of their H-1B status and resuming the H-1B status without leaving the country. Once extension is approved, the alien returns to the H-1B status. The approval of such H-1B extension is considered by the USCIS as revocation of the parolee status and reinstatement of the H-1B status. These travellers should make it sure that they have both valid H-1B approval paper and valid Advance Parole when they return from the trip. Again, the EAD is not necessary inasmuch as he/she has a valid H-1B approval. However, against the potential change of employment or loss of H-1B jobs, it will be always prudent that one keeps an EAD current all the time. Enjoy your Summer!!
Other useful links on this topic:
http://www.murthy.com/news/n_favint.html
http://shusterman.com/cronin51600.html
http://www.immigrationlinks.com/news/news301.htm

Streamflow said:

Thanks! for the links.

So my current H1B Approval(expires Feb 2007) valid to work even though I re-enter on AP. I no need to bother working on EAD. Could some one confirm please?

Basically I am going India for 20days vacation and planning to re-enter on AP.
Also, I am currently working with Company 'A' which holds my H1B. Planning to use Company 'B'(Future employee) AP. Is this safe??

Streamflow said:

I was reading the thread AP usage. My wife traveled abroad last time and came back US in AP even if she had a H4 Visa. When we tried to extend my H1 and her H4 recently for 7th year, my h1 got approved(I did not travel outside) while my wife's H4(I-539) denied and got a notice yesterday. The deniel letter from USCIS says " You were paroled into US. 8 CFR 248 does not provide for a change from this status". That means if you use AP, you can not extend/change your H1 / H4 status, no matter you are employed by the same employer who sponsor your H1; your status should be "AOS pending" from the point you enter US in AP. Will it create problem by working with the same employer without EAD if someone use AP?

Happy Holidays!

srr4

srr4 said:
I was reading the thread AP usage. My wife traveled abroad last time and came back US in AP even if she had a H4 Visa. When we tried to extend my H1 and her H4 recently for 7th year, my h1 got approved(I did not travel outside) while my wife's H4(I-539) denied and got a notice yesterday. The deniel letter from USCIS says " You were paroled into US. 8 CFR 248 does not provide for a change from this status". That means if you use AP, you can not extend/change your H1 / H4 status, no matter you are employed by the same employer who sponsor your H1; your status should be "AOS pending" from the point you enter US in AP. Will it create problem by working with the same employer without EAD if someone use AP?

Happy Holidays!

srr4
ofcourse when your wife uses AP how can you apply for H4 renewal? her and your status is both AOS. i assume you have not been parole into us so you can still renew/extend your H1 although u r also in aos. remember you have not used parole which clearly means you can still use H1 visa to enter us.

smartspider said:
I talked to my lawyer today and he said that if you leave and come back on AP then you abandon your H1B status, so what you should do is get an EAD and convert your status at your company prior to travelling.
You should fire your lawyer immdiately and report him/her to AILA for providing false information.
H1 status is invalidated only if you use EAD it has nothing to do with AP.