AP Approved on Nov. 19, 2010, Need to Travel on Dec 4, 2010, AP not received yet

akodyanoya

Registered Users (C)
We applied to renew our AP together on July 2010. We both have the same Receipt Date. Mine was approved on October 14, 2010 (we both have LUD on Oct. 14, 2010). On Oct. 21, I got a notice that mine was sent in the mail. Hers was not. So we opened a service request on Nov., 15, 2010 and we got a response that her AP was approved on Nov. 19, 2010.

So, my wife's AP was approved on Nov. 19, 2010 but was not yet received as we speak. She needs to travel back home (home country) on December 4, 2010. If she does not have the AP document yet prior to her departure, will there be any problem if I bring home the AP with me and we re-enter the US together sometime in Feb. 2011?

I'll appreciate any response. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ideally she should not leave the US until she has her AP in her hand. What if she leaves the US and the AP gets lost and you do not have it by the time she has to return? Is the trip outside the US worth you taking this risk?

If she does not have the AP document yet prior to her departure, will there be any problem if I bring home the AP with me and we re-enter the US together sometime in Feb. 2011?

Approval on Nov 24, not yet received. Travelling on Dec 7th

I'm in similar situation. USCIS received app on Aug 19th, 2010. On Nov 24, the case was approved. Last Updated on Nov 29, and 30. Case is in "Post Decision Activity" on USCIS website . I didn't foresee AP taking this long, and made travel arrangements on Dec 7th. From other forum posts, I get the sense that it's safe to travel if the USCIS system shows the case is approved. Changing travel dates would incur heavy charge, and subject to higher fare.

Message on USCIS website - "On November 29, 2010, we mailed you a notice that we have approved this I131 APPLICATION FOR USCIS TRAVEL DOCUMENT"

I will inquire with my lawyer and post a reply.

Attorney said that as long as AP shows up approved in the system, it's safe to travel before receiving it.

Thanks a lot eb2uae. we applied for this I-131 on our own so I could not ask our attorney who prepared our I-485s.

Hi, I have a quick question on similar lines but not same. Myself and my wife got approved AP's and our AP's are going to expire in Aug'2011. We have applied two entries when we filed AP. Our APs got approved and we travelled to India for a month (Dec'10 to Jan'11). We were successfully back to US without any issues. However, due to a family emergency situation back in India, we had to travel to India again in Feb'11 (now I am in India). I just observed that my AP when we re-entered US first time in Jan'11 was stamped and I got only one copy which was stamped (Paroled) out of two copies that I gave.

I remember Immigration Officer told me that, I can travel back out of US until Aug'11 (which is expiry date of my AP) though it is stamped until Jan'12.

Is this normal or am I missed anything? Please advise.

Thanks