AP and AC21

pb74

Registered Users (C)
I have approved I-140 and 6 mths on I-485. I have EAD and switching the employer on EAD. However my lawyer has recommended me not to inform CIS about it since it's voluntary to do so. He says I should inform CIS in case I get RFE and that way we can avoid the possible RFE that can arise because of AC21 notice!!

Gurus, in this case ... how wise is it on my part to use my AP and travel to home-land? What kind of questions the immigration officer can ask on the port of entry and what should be my answers? What docs I need to carry?

Any other thoughts/comments are appreciated.

I am in the same boat as you. My lawyer advised me the same. I do not think your travel on AP has anything to do with your employer. Your status is this country is AOS Pending and you have a valid AP to come back so there should not be a problem. But then I am not a lawyer.

I am planning on going to India in Oct so I will be using my AP then.

I'm in the same boat as well. I didn't inform the service center to avoid a possible RFE and hoping to secure the Green Card without one...

Aren't you guys worried that your old company or USCIS may somehow screw up resulting in your I-140 being withdrawn & reused?
Also, if you changed your address when you moved to a new job - USCIS will be notified of your new location, and different lawyer. Won't that tip them off that you have changed jobs?
(As you can see I am quite the optimist.)
Thanks...

vee111 said:
Aren't you guys worried that your old company or USCIS may somehow screw up resulting in your I-140 being withdrawn & reused?

----- if I-140 is approved AND I-485 is pending more than 180 days then employer cannot REVOKE the I-140 even if employer sends letter to USCIS the USCIS is NOT going to revoke the approved I-140. USCIS has made it clear on august2003 AC21 Memo.
Take the print out and Read the AC21 august Memo:
http://uscis.gov/graphics/lawsregs/handbook/I140_AC21_8403.pdf
http://www.usavisanow.com/8-13-03-140-485.pdf
http://www.murthy.com/UDportme.html

Also, if you changed your address when you moved to a new job - USCIS will be notified of your new location, and different lawyer. Won't that tip them off that you have changed jobs?
---- when you move you need to file form AR11 for your address change and it has nothing to do with pending I-485 . filing AR11 is to track criminals and that goes to diffrent address and not to USCIS. many prefer to update the new address on pending I-485 so that if any FP notice or RFE it will come to new lawyer if they file NEW form G28, changing location does not delay I-485 , one can use AC21 no fear.USCIS for AC21 goes with the MEMO till date.

(As you can see I am quite the optimist.)
Thanks...

I am just wondering about what questions the immigration officer can ask at the port of entry so that I can plan my trip. In the past, I have been always asked the question ... what employer are you working for & what's your title!

I am not sure if I'm at liberty to tell the truth and talk legal language of AC21 in case he raises an eyebrow!! Also I can't lie & say that I'm working for old employer since he can ask me to provide paystub or employment letter.

So basically I'm looking for suggestions/experiences if any.

pb74 said:
I am just wondering about what questions the immigration officer can ask at the port of entry so that I can plan my trip. In the past, I have been always asked the question ... what employer are you working for & what's your title!

----- they dont have much time to ask any questions once they see the AP and passport they will just have a look in USCIS comuter with A# on AP if you have I-485 pending they dont have any right to ask AC21, at POE it is CPB not USCIS officer
I am not sure if I'm at liberty to tell the truth and talk legal language of AC21 in case he raises an eyebrow!! Also I can't lie & say that I'm working for old employer since he can ask me to provide paystub or employment letter.
----- they are NOt going to ask AC21 or AC23 they dont know what is AC or DC they are only intrested in your valid AP and passport, Relax!!!
So basically I'm looking for suggestions/experiences if any.

That was a good news.

Is it true that one can be out of the country for max of 2 months on AP?

What does PCB stand for and what other information can he access through the computer? When we hear cases of people deported from airport, what are the kind of things that go wrong?

pb74 said:
That was a good news.

Is it true that one can be out of the country for max of 2 months on AP?
------person can stay out of US more than 2 months or 6 months he should be back before the AP expires
What does PCB stand for and what other information can he access through the computer? When we hear cases of people deported from airport, what are the kind of things that go wrong?

I'm asking these questions again since they were not answered the first time.

What does PCB stand for and what other information can he access through the computer?

Do we hear cases of people deported from airport, while using AP?

Also some Qs somewhat off track from AC21 issue ... I'm hearing from my travel agent that British Air does not allow to travel on AP. Did anyone have that experience? Are there any such more airlines?

Thanks in advance.

pb74 said:
I'm asking these questions again since they were not answered the first time.

What does PCB stand for and what other information can he access through the computer?
---- who wrote PCB? it might be CBP or CPB, at the port of entry at US airport that officer who checks your passport at POE or admits you to US
Do we hear cases of people deported from airport, while using AP?
---I dont know any such case or deported from US POE if one has Valid AP and I-485 is still pending
Also some Qs somewhat off track from AC21 issue ...
I'm hearing from my travel agent that British Air does not allow to travel on AP.
---Agent is correct if you have AP you need UK tansit Visa, if one has AP then Germany, France, UK, need transit visa stamped in your passport if you are coming back to US on AP, if you have US Visa stamped in your passport then no need of transit Visa for the above
Did anyone have that experience? Are there any such more airlines?

Thanks in advance.