• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

AOS process for high number and marriage issue

NOPPO

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

I'm the winner from Asia (CN:2014AS00022XXX). I believe my number is really high for this year. I have several concerns about my case.

1. I'm really sure that the earliest month that my CN will be current is Aug or Sep. I'm doing AOS process. Can I file my case prior the month that my number is current so that I have some time for them to process my case to get the interview on time. I ask this because in case my CN currents on September, I'm afraid that I won't get the interview in the month that I file my case. I ask some friends. Some said I can file case early but some didn't. you have any recommendation?

2. I just got married last month. I'm not sure if I have to resubmit DSP-120 form to KCC? or let them know? Should I send the form DSP-230 part 1/2 to them (I didn't send this form at first)?

Thanks in advance

Noppo

Hi,

I'm the winner from Asia (CN:2014AS00022XXX). I believe my number is really high for this year. I have several concerns about my case.

1. I'm really sure that the earliest month that my CN will be current is Aug or Sep. I'm doing AOS process. Can I file my case prior the month that my number is current so that I have some time for them to process my case to get the interview on time. I ask this because in case my CN currents on September, I'm afraid that I won't get the interview in the month that I file my case. I ask some friends. Some said I can file case early but some didn't. you have any recommendation?

2. I just got married last month. I'm not sure if I have to resubmit DSP-120 form to KCC? or let them know? Should I send the form DSP-230 part 1/2 to them (I didn't send this form at first)?

Thanks in advance

Noppo

1. You will be able to send your package a month before you are current. So, let's say you will be current in September. You would see the your number as current VB in mid July and you could submit the forms on August 1. There is a memo that describes this and it actually says you can submit as soon as you see you are current (i.e. mid July) but people have had their packages returned if they sent that early whereas the 1st of the month advice seems to be working.

2. You don't send a 230 form for aos. If KCC already got your 122 then they have effectively handed off your cases to USCIS. I don't think you need to resend KCC another 122 form, but you can if you like.

I ask KCC about this and they replied that I have to send 230 form to update my case (also I called them and they confirmed this as well)

To add a spouse, please submit the following to KCC once you are married:

· Copy of marriage certificate with English translation
· Forms DS 230 Part I & II for spouse
· Updated DS 230 Part I for the principal applicant
· Passport style photo of the spouse

I ask KCC about this and they replied that I have to send 230 form to update my case (also I called them and they confirmed this as well)

To add a spouse, please submit the following to KCC once you are married:

· Copy of marriage certificate with English translation
· Forms DS 230 Part I & II for spouse
· Updated DS 230 Part I for the principal applicant
· Passport style photo of the spouse

That is accurate advice for the 95% of people doing CP. However you are doing AOS, so their advice does not apply to your case.

My suggestion to the OP would be to proceed as requested by KCC. Even though he's doing AOS, it never hurts to update KCC with his marital status change. While KCC does not process AOS cases, they still forward the case files to the applicable field office. The less the amount of scrutiny the OP is likely to face at the time of the interview if information about his status change is already contained in the case file that would be received by his FO from KCC.

TO THE OP:
Spend some time going through previous AOS threads to get a good understanding of the process. You should also consider posting subsequent related questions on the applicable AOS thread, such as the DV 2014 AOS thread. It helps (not only you get better response, but others in similar situations could also benefit from it) when such related questions or topics are all contained withing one thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
My suggestion to the OP would be to proceed as requested by KCC. Even though he's doing AOS, it never hurts to update KCC with his marital status change. While KCC does not process AOS cases, they still forward the case files to the applicable field office. The less the amount of scrutiny the OP is likely to face at the time of the interview if information about his status change is already contained in the case file that would be received by his FO from KCC.

I was concerned that sending unnecessary forms (like the 230 forms) with confuse the situation and maybe get KCC thinking they were switching to CP. However, I bow to your superior experience on this. Thanks for the correction!

I was concerned that sending unnecessary forms (like the 230 forms) with confuse the situation and maybe get KCC thinking they were switching to CP. However, I bow to your superior experience on this. Thanks for the correction!

Yes Simon, I understand. In general, KCC always ask everybody to send in both DSP 122 and DS 230 forms regardless of whether they're doing AOS or CP. Sending in DS-230 for anyone doing AOS is usually redundant and unnecessary IMO. However, when there's a change in status for the main applicant, it doesn't hurt to send in the additional forms to KCC.

The truth is KCC will get confused when they want to be confused, whether someone doing AOS sends in the DS-230 form or not - sadly! :(. A case in point is that of a person on one of the earlier AOS threads who sent in only the DSP form, indicating he wanted to do AOS. When this person called KCC to find out about his case, he was told, 'oh you're current, you should be receiving your interview letter from us in the next couple of day'. He told them he had indicated he wanted to do AOS, and the call turned into an 'oops moment', he was asked to call by the next day while they try to sort out his case.

Yes Simon, I understand. In general, KCC always ask everybody to send in both DSP 122 and DS 230 forms regardless of whether they're doing AOS or CP. Sending in DS-230 for anyone doing AOS is usually redundant and unnecessary IMO. However, when there's a change in status for the main applicant, it doesn't hurt to send in the additional forms to KCC.

The truth is KCC will get confused when they want to be confused, whether someone doing AOS sends in the DS-230 form or not - sadly! :(. A case in point is that of a person on one of the earlier AOS threads who sent in only the DSP form, indicating he wanted to do AOS. When this person called KCC to find out about his case, he was told, 'oh you're current, you should be receiving your interview letter from us in the next couple of day'. He told them he had indicated he wanted to do AOS, and the call turned into an 'oops moment', he was asked to call by the next day while they try to sort out his case.

Yep understood. I think there is an assumption that the level of expertise in these government departments is uniformly good. The truth is that that expertise level is very variable...

What is AOS & CP ??? if anyone don't mind, please brief me that.......

CP = Consular Processing for anyone interviewing outside of the US.

AOS = Adjustment of Status for people inside the US on another type of visa and changing to GC.

It can be anything from a missing document or documents needing verification or simply enhanced background checks that seem to be more common in some countries than others.

what you meen about that give me example about doc need to be check more or inhannced backround ?