AOS Interview Timeline

My timeline

RD: 10-3-05
ND: 10-11-05
ID: 2-2-06

DO: Denver

I still didn't have my Fingerprint apointment.

Hello em_2005,
I would suggest you to fix and infopass appt and go to your local DO to see what is happening to your Bio/FP appointments at the earliest available date. Getting your FP and Bios done as before your interview as possible allows enough time to get your security checks cleared and a better chance of an approval decision during your interview.

Thanks Krakow007. I have an Infopass apointment set up for this week, and I am hoping to be able to have my FP done right away. By the time my 765 and AP are aproved they will pretty much be useless.

130/131/485/765 package H1B marriage to USC

RD: 10-3-05
ND: 10-11-05
LUD: 130, 485:10-14-05 , 765: 12-12-05, 131: 1-4-06
ID: 2-2-06

DO: Denver, CO

Atlanta interview 1/9

We just had our AOS interview and had my wife's passport stamped in Atlanta, Georgia today (1/9/06). We submitted our application about 11 months ago with a USCIS notice date of 3/10/05.

Our application was unique in that the FBI twice rejected my wife's fingerprints because they were too weak (unclassifiable). After we received the second rejection, the ASC staff told us to wait for an RFE requesting police clearances from all juristictions my wife resided in for the last five years. Such an RFE never came, but we went ahead and obtained all of them (from one foreign country and two U.S. states!) and brought them to the interview just in case. (The actual interview notice didn't ask for them either).

The room was full of people for both AOS and naturalization interviews. Our appointed time was 12:30, but we got called about 45 minutes later. That was a long and nervous wait.

Stuff the officer asked for:

photo IDs (both)
passports (both)
tax returns and w-2s of last 2 years (not 3) (sponsor)
family photos
car insurance

Questions the officer asked:

current address;
how did you meet;
what's your occupation;
when did you come to the U.S.;
have you been arrested;

Then came the cool part. The officer said he could not approve us today because of the fingerprint issue and would instruct us to obtain police clearances. We said we already had them. He was impressed, took all clearances, and asked us to wait for about 10-15 minutes outside (while he confirmed the authenticity of the clearances?)

About 10 minutes later, he invited us back in and stamped my wife's passport with the temporary I-551 info, valid for 1 year. He then advised us of the conditional residence requirements and said the actual card would arrive in 1 to 2 months.

The officer was nice, and this was an all-in-all positive experience. I'm really glad we obtained the police clearances ahead of time.

bigclaw said:
We just had our AOS interview and had my wife's passport stamped in Atlanta, Georgia today (1/9/06). We submitted our application about 11 months ago with a USCIS notice date of 3/10/05.

Our application was unique in that the FBI twice rejected my wife's fingerprints because they were too weak (unclassifiable). After we received the second rejection, the ASC staff told us to wait for an RFE requesting police clearances from all juristictions my wife resided in for the last five years. Such an RFE never came, but we went ahead and obtained all of them (from one foreign country and two U.S. states!) and brought them to the interview just in case. (The actual interview notice didn't ask for them either).

The room was full of people for both AOS and naturalization interviews. Our appointed time was 12:30, but we got called about 45 minutes later. That was a long and nervous wait.

Stuff the officer asked for:

photo IDs (both)
passports (both)
tax returns and w-2s of last 2 years (not 3) (sponsor)
family photos
car insurance

Questions the officer asked:

current address;
how did you meet;
what's your occupation;
when did you come to the U.S.;
have you been arrested;

Then came the cool part. The officer said he could not approve us today because of the fingerprint issue and would instruct us to obtain police clearances. We said we already had them. He was impressed, took all clearances, and asked us to wait for about 10-15 minutes outside (while he confirmed the authenticity of the clearances?)

About 10 minutes later, he invited us back in and stamped my wife's passport with the temporary I-551 info, valid for 1 year. He then advised us of the conditional residence requirements and said the actual card would arrive in 1 to 2 months.

The officer was nice, and this was an all-in-all positive experience. I'm really glad we obtained the police clearances ahead of time.
It is always better to be so well prepared. I am telling everyone loud and clear, get everything and anything that you can think of may help. You never know what they will ask for.

My timeline:

July 19, 2005 - papers mailed to Chicago, IL
July 21, 2005 - RD
July 25, 2005 - ND
Nov 11, 2005 - FP/BIO done and EAD received in local office (walk in)
Dec 17, 2005 - received notice for initial interview
Feb 06, 2006 - inerview scheduled
DO - Norfolk, VA

got interview notice

DO: Miami, FL

RD: March, 25th 2005
ND: April, 4th 2005
Interview: March, 23rd 2006

Finally!!! we're very happy to know when the interview is gonna be.

Initial Interview Scheduled in Garden City, NY on 2/13/06

I received Initial Interview Notice today.
However, it's a bit weird that I received the notice today even though "NOTICE DATE is 10/04/05."
I wonder why they had to keep my Interview Notice Letter and sent it about 3 months later from Notice Date; posted stamp date on the envelop is 1/10/06. :eek:
I'll keep you posted after interview.

** By the way, I have a quick question. Is "Initial Interview" somewhat different from Interview or people are just saying "Interview" instead of Initial Interview?

RD: 03/31/05
ND: 10/04/05 (But! I received Interview Notice Letter on 01/14/06)
ID: 02/13/06
DO: New York, NY

I-130 pending

Hi folks,

I-130 was filled out on April 2001, my wife became a US citizen on August 2004, I-130 application was transfered from Vermont to Newark NJ, on September 2004. I did not receive any notice. I took an appointment, and went there with my wife on November 2005, the officer told us , as August 2005, you will be scheduled for a Wednesday interview, since than, nothing is new. I have another pending case (asylum), the judge is waiting for I-130 to be approved.

PLEASE ADVICE ME, WHAT I SHOULD DO? HOW LONG IT TAKES FOR AN INTERVIEW.

THANK YOU...

Folks, do excuse me if you find my post out of place. I tried doing a separate post with my questions, but didn't get a many responses. I have recently filed I-130 at California SC for my husband who is here on an L1B visa. What I wanna know is whether filing I-485 is mandatory (excuse me for my extremely limited knowledge on the topic :()? The reason I ask is that my husband has been here on this L1 assignment for his Indian based employer and must continue until the assignment is over. We got married last year and I filed I-130 for him. Now if we file I-485, as I understand, we will also need to file I-765 (and I-131 - to accomodate our plan of a vacation in India later this year). Now I've seen on this forum that at times the I-485 gets approved while I-765 is still pending. If that happens, it will jeopardize my husband's assignment during the period when 485 is approved and 765 is pending :(

I was under the impression that 485 is not mandatory, but rather a facility for people who want to get LPR, while waiting for their GC. I'd appreciate the replies and thanks in advance for your time.
USC

a_usc said:
Folks, do excuse me if you find my post out of place. I tried doing a separate post with my questions, but didn't get a many responses. I have recently filed I-130 at California SC for my husband who is here on an L1B visa. What I wanna know is whether filing I-485 is mandatory (excuse me for my extremely limited knowledge on the topic :()? The reason I ask is that my husband has been here on this L1 assignment for his Indian based employer and must continue until the assignment is over. We got married last year and I filed I-130 for him. Now if we file I-485, as I understand, we will also need to file I-765 (and I-131 - to accomodate our plan of a vacation in India later this year). Now I've seen on this forum that at times the I-485 gets approved while I-765 is still pending. If that happens, it will jeopardize my husband's assignment during the period when 485 is approved and 765 is pending :(

I was under the impression that 485 is not mandatory, but rather a facility for people who want to get LPR, while waiting for their GC. I'd appreciate the replies and thanks in advance for your time.
USC
You need to READ!!!!!!!! Read the instructions on the forms (I 485, I 765 etc). You need to read the FAQs on USCIS website. Do you even know what is the purpose of filing I 485?? And what it means when I 485 gets approved?? PLEASE READ. If I 485 gets approved that means he is getting his GC and so he doesn't need to get I 765 approved.
Don't depend on people for basic info. You are asking such a basic questions and that is why people are not answering. This forum is not for basic Qs. You need to research too. If you can not read simple English on the instructions of the forms then you need a lawyer. Yeah do that. Hire a lawyer. Do mot miss-use people on this forum for the basic information.

:) You used to be very sweet and soft, but lately I've noticed you've become :) what do you say, caustic.
I get kick out of your postings though. I'm still LOL.

Goodluck on your upcoming interview (spouse's interview)
amishah said:
You need to READ!!!!!!!! Read the instructions on the forms (I 485, I 765 etc). You need to read the FAQs on USCIS website. Do you even know what is the purpose of filing I 485?? And what it means when I 485 gets approved?? PLEASE READ. If I 485 gets approved that means he is getting his GC and so he doesn't need to get I 765 approved.
Don't depend on people for basic info. You are asking such a basic questions and that is why people are not answering. This forum is not for basic Qs. You need to research too. If you can not read simple English on the instructions of the forms then you need a lawyer. Yeah do that. Hire a lawyer. Do mot miss-use people on this forum for the basic information.

needurhelp said:
:) You used to be very sweet and soft, but lately I've noticed you've become :) what do you say, caustic.
I get kick out of your postings though. I'm still LOL.

Goodluck on your upcoming interview (spouse's interview)
I know I was little rude in my last post but it makes me real mad when pople thinks that people here are having lots of free time and will answer all of their basic questions. They don't want to do anything on their behalf. Not even wants to read the instructions. That is not fair. One should not miss-use such a helpful forum. If they will try to read/research by themselves then they can find a lot more usefull information. I already had told her very nicely that she needs to look at the forms and USCIS website atleast once. But she doesn't seems like getting it and is keep posting her same question all over the forum.

Thanks for your time Amishah :)

amishah said:

Hi Amishah,

Thanks for your reply/advice. I appreciate your time... and here's some advice in return. First thing - its not YOU who decides what the forum is for... right? So I don't think you are right in telling me that the forum is not for asking basic questions, because that is exactly what I am looking for... if I had all that basic info, I would perhaps, be posting answers :). I believe this and all such forums are to help people getting answers - basic or complicated.

In your reply to needurhelp, you said that I think that people have a lot of free time... well, let's not go to what I think and I don't think, but here's a simple thing - if you didn't have 'a lot of free time', you could have simply refrained from answering my question, rather than lashing out. Besides, I remember your post and it didn't need me to hear it from you before I started reading the USCIS website. I read through and was looking for something that will lay out the process steps. Anyhow, I downloaded the I-485 package too and went through the instructions. I read and drew my conclusions and I wanted to corroborate those with more knowledgeable people (on the topic) out here. I am sure I am missing a point somewhere and that's why I needed the help of people like you out here, who know a lot better and a lot more on this topic than I do.

One last thing :) (it is in response to your -"If you can not read simple English on the instructions") - my ability to read English. Yes I can read English and therefore I could read that you wrote "miss use" instead of "misuse", you wrote (in reply to needurhelp) "people thinks" instead of "people think", you wrote "Not even WANTS to read the instructions" instead of "Not even WANT to read the instructions (in order to keep continuity from the use of people and they)", you wrote "usefull" instead of "useful", you... oh well... I don't wanna keep doing this, cuz it may take me the whole day.

It's not you and it's not me who makes this forum... it's all of us. Some people know more some know a very little. We are all here looking for answers and perhaps to help out others. Keep your cool... it's nicer that way. USC

Last edited by a moderator:
a_usc,
I will not go for any argument with you. But you know why you didn't got response to your posts all over this forum? Because those can be answered by just reading the instructions on the forms. And the best thing about researching by yourself is that you will learn much more about the process then what you can by somebody pointing you to the answer. Probably your just looking for somebody to point you the specific answer to your question and that is why you are not understanding the process.I am on this forum for more than a year and I belive that this kind of forum are for complicated situation or clear any specific confusion. I know I can avoind answering if I do not want to but one should not waste the space that Mr. Khanna is providing us for free by asking basic Qs.
Now let me try to clear your misunderstanding. I 765 and I 131-AP will give you temporary permit to work and travel until your GC ( I485) is in process. Once you get it approved, you do not need I 765 and I 131. Most of the time you get stamp on your passport at the end of the interview. But even if you don't get it and you need to travel or work, you can go to local DO and ask them to stamp. You can use that stamp to travel or to get SSN. As per my observation, once you get your I 485 approved during your interview, it do not take that long to get real GC. Find out if your DO stamps the passport at the end of the interview.
As I said I am not aware of L1 but I know about H1. You can work using H1 till its valid despite of getting EAD approved.
Here I am trying to work and to help people with there confusion and may be because of that I might have errors in my answers/posts but hey I didn't ask so many minor Qs while I was filing my forms because I understood the instructions and have done plenty of research by myself. So instead reading through my posts again to find errors try to read the istructions.
Good Luck,

Amishah,

I don't wanna get into an argument either and believe me... have no hard feeling. It's just that I didn't like getting yelled at like that - no body does... right? As for the forum not being for basic questions... I agree to disagree with you. I am a member at several forums that span over a spectrum of topics and I have seen that a lot of people who join in are absolutely novice in the field. They ask questions that seem stupid and seem to have obvious answers or require reading some obvious material on the topic... but then, they ask. You must have heard about the learning curve - its always (almost invariably) steep at the start... a person who is starting to learn comes in seeking answers to simple questions and gets them from people more knowdgeable on the topic. I agree, the answers are not 'be all and end all', one must do his/her own research and reading. Eventually that new person learns and obtains enough knowledge him/her self to be able to answer similar seemingly stupid questions of other new people. During this process, he/she also realizes how simple and at times stupid were the questions that he/she used to ask in the begining. This is how the chain keeps growing and forums keep alive. I am sure you must have been here for an year or more... and that is why my questions seemed so naive... but you must have also noticed that in my posts, I did apologise if my questions sounded too basic. Think about when people start to learn something new, don't they long for someone who would point them in the right direction and clear some doubts that they have. If it wasn't so, there wouldn't ever be any teachers... reading text books would suffice. As for finding the errros in your posts... I didn't start it... did I? I saw your first reply too... I didn't point out the mistakes... it was only when you challenged my ability to read English... lol... that kindda triggered it off... It was just my way of saying that not everyone is at the same level of expertise at everything... you are good at your knowledge with the process of GC and I am (perhaps) good at other things... so let's not compare our knowledge here and show the other person that he/she is weak, but just help... just they way you have helped so many other people who came in seeking answers.

But anyway... I must thank you for your time, because you did really answer my question this time. Call me a numskull, a knucklehead or whatever (your choice) and you may even laugh, but I didn't realize that LPR (485) is in a way synonymous to GG. I was under the impression (obviously a wrong one) that I-485 is just another step (possibily an optional one) in the process of getting a GC. I thought GC requires I-130 getting approved after which USCIS will ask you to file the I-864 + I 693... which once approved results into GC getting stamped. It's your reply today and a reply from one JaneGreen on this forum (http://boards.immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?t=201751) that really helped clearing my doubts. Hopefully you won't see any 'basic' questions from me again... or may be a few more :p lol.

Good Luck with your interview on Tue... do let us all know about your experience.

Thanks, USC

Last edited by a moderator: