AOS Interview Timeline

Need Help

Hi Guys,
My husband has his naturalization interview scheduled in March and probably will become a citizen in April-May.
He is planning to apply for my greencard after that.
I do need help with couple of questions
1. I am on H1 and I am out of a job for more than 3 months now(Employer not looking out for a job and not paying me.).Does that really count when I go for the interview.Will they ask for proof of status.
2. Do we need the American passport in addition to the naturalization certificate as the proof to show that my husband is a citizen, when applying for my adjustment of status.

thanks in advance

1--- Yes, they do ask when you will file your adjustment of status. You have to tell them the truth. If you are not working more than 3 months and dont have pay stubs, basically you are out of status. But good news is, overstay OR out of status for spouse of citizen is forgiven. So you should be okay. Take lawyer's advice though.

2---No, naturalization certificate is good enough. Dont wait even for 1 day.

Once more advice: Get your medical exam done after your husband's interview. Process will be faster.

Good luck

rashmi80 said:
Hi Guys,
My husband has his naturalization interview scheduled in March and probably will become a citizen in April-May.
He is planning to apply for my greencard after that.
I do need help with couple of questions
1. I am on H1 and I am out of a job for more than 3 months now(Employer not looking out for a job and not paying me.).Does that really count when I go for the interview.Will they ask for proof of status.
2. Do we need the American passport in addition to the naturalization certificate as the proof to show that my husband is a citizen, when applying for my adjustment of status. -

thanks in advance

Last edited by a moderator:
Where to send I-130 and 485 now?

Hi all!

we are going to send out the I130, 485, 131, 765, and 693 for my husband's GC application. I remember reading posts on this forum before that all forms should be sent to Chicago office. But the instruction of I-130 says it should be sent to the CA service center (We live in San Francisco bay area). We are confused now. Can somebody who filed recently kindly answer this question?

Thanks in advance.

Eastbayer.

1-485 Interview

I just want to ask whether anyone experience during the initial I-485 interview, the immigration officer will ask for an original of Certificate of Naturlization or a copy of it will do. My original copy was given to the Passport Department wheni applied or the passport.

approved, san francisco DO

hi all

here's an update on our case.

our interview back in december was super chill; the guy was joking around with us the whole time. maybe it's just that bay area people are nice. the name check thing slowed things down a bit, though. but luckily it took only a couple of months to go through.

also, i travelled for about 3 weeks over the winter break on advance parole without a problem.

thanks everyone for all your help and good luck!

----------------------------------------------
Mexican citizen (male) married to USC (female)
Previously F1 (PhD student at UC Berkeley)
DO: San Francisco
Priority mailed I-485, I-130, I-131 to Chicago mailbox: 09/24/06
RD I-485, I-130, I-131: 09/28/06
ND for I-485, I-130, I-131: 10/03/06
Checks cashed: 10/05/06
FP/Bio: 10/19/06
Interview notice date: 10/28/06
Interview date: 12/12/06; name check pending
AP approval: 12/19/06
AOS approval email: 2/16/07

Finally

Here's our full timeline. I was afraid to post it until we had the Green Card in hand. No RFEs, no problems with name check - it just took what seemed forever.

USC Married to Italian on B2
D.O. Memphis

April 28, 2006 - Married

May 28, 2006: I-130, I-485, I-765 mailed to Chicago Lockbox
Day 1: May 29 RD
Day 9: June 6 ND
Day 11: June 8 NOAs on I-130, I-485, I-765
Day 18: June15 Appt letter for Biometrics
Day 19: June 19 LUD I-130
Day 31: June 28 Biometrics in Nashville
Day 32: June 29 LUD I-485, I-765
Day 78: Aug 14: Case Status Inquiry filed/LUD I-765
Day 82: Aug 18 EAD approved via email
Day 83: Aug 19 EAD card arrives
Day 85: Aug 21 LUD on I-765
Day 88: Aug 24 Applied for SS#
Day 95: Aug 31 SS card arrives
Day 174: Nov 18 – Interview letter arrives for 2/14/2007
Day 246: Jan 30 Email stating interview Descheduled/Cancelled
Day 261: Feb 14: Went to Interview in Memphis anyway. Approved (no stamp, was told GC would arrive in 7-10 days)
Day 262: Feb 15: Email notice of Approval of I-485 and I-130
Day 267: Feb 20: Welcome letter, petition approvals received via US Postal Service
Day 267: Feb 20: Received email that “card production has been ordered”
Day 273: Feb 26: Green Card arrives in mail

I applied for Adjustment Of Status (Married to US Citizen) on July 2.006.

Receipt Notice: 07/20/2.006.
Fingerprints taken: 08/23/2006.
Employment Authorization Doc: 10/06/2006.

In November 2.006, I get an email with the popular message: "Your Interview was cancelled. - You interview has been rescheduled by USCIS and we'll let you know if we re-scheduled again, yada, yada, yada..."

I freaked OUT :eek: :eek: :eek:

I called my Attorney and she told me: "That happens sometimes because they schedule a lots of interviews and they cannot handle it so they de-scheduled and then re-schedule people again!"

It calmed me a little bit, until January comes and I still have nothing...I review the Time frames for Processing and for my surprise I see that for the I-485 the time frames in all the centers and local offices is already in August!!! And I still have not received anything from the USCIS.

I called my lawyer again and he sent somebody to immigration for me on January 10th, 2007 to make an Inquire about my case but they said that I should ask again after 6 month after the Receive Notice Date (July 20th, 2.006 + 6 month = January 20th, 2006)...OK, so I told my attorney, let's wait until February to see what happens...

For my Surprise I get an Appointment letter (Feb. 3rd) on the mail for March 6th, 2007 but still on the USCIS website and Phone system it says that I'm rescheduled and that the interview was cancelled!

I made some research online and I found a bunch of people with the same problem...I took the advice and I went to the Interview with everything ready to prove that my marriage was legitimate but always afraid of not being called since my interview is supposed to be canceled!

My interview was scheduled for 9.30 a.m., I was there and sign up the attendance sheet at 8.31 a.m. and wait...wait...wait...until finally at 9.47 a.m. my name was called!

I was nervous but I kept my poker face and everything went OK.

What to expect from the interview:

1.- I didn't go wearing a suit or anything over the top, just Black Dockers Pants with a Tommy LS Shirt and my wife wasn't spectacular either, she was wearing kind of the same type of clothes I was wearing. Why am I saying this? because you will see here that almost 99.99% of the people will tell you to go there dressing the best outfit you can afford and the truth is that, on the day of my interview I saw a guy that it was like 60 years old with his wife from Philippines...the guy looked like a Mechanic with ripped out jeans covered with oil stains and a "Larry the cable guy" green shirt!..His wife was wearing the clothes that she slept with and wasn't wearing any make up...it might be surprising but they got approved too!
And this is because, the immigration officer that is going to carry the interview is there to make you prove that your marriage is real and that you guys have a life together...THAT'S IT! He is not there to make critics about your fashion taste!
2.- If you have a real marriage, you will be approved...is plain simple...the only way I see this not happening is if you really try not to share anything with your spouse and also throw away all the bills, receipts and Lease agreement of the house you both live in...You have to miss the appointment to not get approve.
3.- Be there on time. I saw people getting called only once and if they weren't there, they got passed...I don't know if they were going to be called later that day though.

Specific details of my interview:

- I got in the Officer's office and we raised our hands and swear to say the truth or nothing but the truth.
- He asked for our Drivers license and my Passport (Make sure that you both have the same address on the drivers license) and also both of our birth certificates.
- He asked how we met.
- He asked every single question that you answer when you filed up the application for the AOS (Do you have criminal background, is this your phone number, where do you work, etc, etc)
- He asked if we had something that can show him that we life together (and the keyword here was) that I can keep.We gave him a Voided Check and told him that the rest of the documents that we had were originals (which was our mistake), being such a nice guy, he took our Health insurance cards and Joint Tax declaration and made a copy for his records.
- When he was coming back from the copy room he saw that I had a photo album and saw some pictures of the wedding but only flipping through the pages and not putting a lot of interest to it.
- My wife offered also to show documents of the Car we bought together on November 2.006 which is a new car that we are paying together (and for the next 6 years) but the guy said: "I've seen enough".
- He said, "I'm approving your application, Congratulations", and then he explained to me how can I do in two years to remove the condition of the Residency so I can have a Permanent one and Apply for US Citizenship on March 6th, 2.010.:cool:

The guy was really nice and we were out of there in 10-15 mins.

Now, what should you bring to the Interview?

Here is what it is: (Original and Copy)

- All the immigration papers that you have received.
- Bank statement reflecting both of you guys direct deposit going to it.
- Voided check of the joint account.
- I-94 from when you got in the Country the last time.
- Utility Bills that have both of your names on it (Water, Power, Cel Phone, whatever)
- Payment stubs from both and ID of the place you work for.
- Pictures of the wedding and trips you did together.
- Birth Certificate of both of you.
- Health, Dental, Vision insurance Cards that reflect the same policy ID.
- Any other document in regards to Identification like SSN and EAD Cards for both (even though he didn't ask for them).

I wish you all good luck and I hope that this will help everybody that like me, was scared to death of the interview which I promised, getting a Driver's license is 5 times harder than getting approved in this interview.

Thank you all!

P.S. Final Timeline:

Venezuelan Citizen married to a Gorgeous Us Citizen.
Applied: I-765, I-485 and I-30. July 10th, 2006.
Receipt Date: July 20th, 2006.
Fingerprints taken: August 23th, 2.006.
EAD received on the mail: October 6th, 2.006.
Interview received on the mail: February 3rd, 2.007.
Interview appointment and GC Approved: March 6th, 2.007.:cool:

Congratulations! ! Good info. . .

Has anyone had this experience??

My husband and I went to his Adjustment of Status interview yesterday. When we got there we were called back after only 5 minutes of waiting. I thought that the interview went very well, we brought more than enough proof of our marriage and relationship. Well, seeing as how I am 5 months pregnant I thought my belly was enough. When the interview was complete we were told that we would get his decision in the mail. It kinda scared me because he gave us no reason and no time period. I just thought that they stamped the passport there. Has anyone else had this experience or know why they didn't stamp the passport? Someone please help me I am so scared that they aren't going to approve him.

Case update

Jan. 25/07 I-130/I-485/I-765 Mailed to Chicago
Jan. 28/07 RD I-130/I-485/I-765
Jan. 31/07 ND I-130/I-485/I-765
Feb. 23/07 FP I-485/I-765
Feb. 28/07 LUD I-485/I-765
Mar. 02/07 I/485 NOA for Interview
Apr. 17/07 AOS Interview

Email update?

How do you all get email update?

I opened accounts for my 131, 765, 485 on uscis.gov which would send me update via email incase there is any update on my case.

So my question is.
Is there any other way to get the update via email?
How do u get iEAD?

Please advice
Thanks,

The Saga continues - name check/AOS

Married to a USC in Nov 03. Applied for AOS in Jan 04 in the San Jose office.

Fingerprinting, interview done by April 04. Approved awaiting name check approval.

After this I have just waited and waited and waited some more. I have since applied for EAD and Advance Parole each year (just sent my 3rd request). Got fingerprinted multiple times, visited USCIS like 6 times.

Finally, I got a mail yesterday stating that we need to visit the office again in April for an interview.

Has anyone been re-interviewed? Why would they reinterview if they had mentioned in the last letter that "approved pending FBI approval"? If AOS is approved, does it mean that I dont have to go through the 2 year conditional green card phase as I have already been married for over 3 years?

One more question - Entrepreneur

One more question guys:

When I last interviewed for AOS (2004), I was working on an H-1. But since then I went back to school for two years and since the past 5 months working on my own company without salary.

As we are being reinterviewed in April 07, the document says that both my wife (USC) and I need to show our employment letters and pay stubs. I dont have a salary and hence cant show any pay stubs. I can show that I am the founder of this Delaware based company. My wife works and she can easily show all the paystubs, etc. Could this be an issue?

I posted this in the Garden City thread too. my husband and I live in Brooklyn, NY and we are so happy that we don't have to go to Federal Plaza.

I-130, I-485, I-765 sent to Chicago: 01-05-07
NOA1: 01-11-07
RFE: 01-26-07
Biometrics: 01-30-07
RFE returned: 02-02-07
Interview notice sent: 02-16-07
Interview notice received: 02-26-07
LUD: 03-11-07
Interview: Set for 04-02-07, 1:00 p.m., Garden City, NY

Update.

Well, I have an update on my husbands case. Today he was notified that his welcoming letter has been mailed!! We are so excited! Good luck to everyone else waiting to hear from them.

Question.

Case update

Jan. 25/07 I-130/I-485/I-765 Mailed to Chicago

Jan. 28/07 RD I-130/I-485/I-765

Is this the receipt date? or the date on which you got the acknowledgement letter from the Chicago office?

Jan. 31/07 ND I-130/I-485/I-765

what si ND?

Feb. 23/07 FP I-485/I-765

Is this the fingerprinting appointment date?

Feb. 28/07 LUD I-485/I-765

What's LUD?

Mar. 02/07 I/485 NOA for Interview

Apr. 17/07 AOS Interview

BTW, how much time is it taking to get the acknowledgement receipt from the USCIS once you submit the docs. to the Chicago lockbox?

Please reply.

Thanks.

Jan 28th is my priority date and the date they receied my letter.
RD - Received Date
ND is Notice Date, the date my acknowledgements were issued.
FP - is FingerPrinting
LUD - Look Up Date. You can create a login on USCIS website and add all you cases. There you can watch when your case was looked up e.t.c