AOS Interview Experiences: Collection

ari4u said:
Congratulations! i know you were worried. Time to celebrate.

I know! I was really worried but everything went really well! I'm glad it wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. :)

I got approved!!

Today I received an email stating that a welcome notice was sent for my I-485!!! I guess I just have to wait for my card!

Timeline

Here is my timeline,

01/27/05 - RD I485,I765,I130
01/27/05 - ND I485,I765,I130
03/01/05 - EAD Received
03/03/05 - I130 Approved
3/09/05 - I485 Bio, 1st appointment
01/29/06 - RD I-765, Second EAD, online
03/21/06 - Change of Address, Moved From FL, to KS.
05/19/06 - I485 Bio, 2nd appointment
06/19/06 - Interview
07/03/06 - Email, Welcome notice!!

I changed address 3 times along the way. If I can be of any help to anyone, please let me know!

Thanks,

Hello All

We had our interview today in Los Angeles at 10:35 am. Up to now, I'm still a bit confused and worried whether or not my Green Card has been approved. The officer simply told us that he has to wait for a background check (without looking into his computer) before he can make his final decision. He says it usually takes 30 days. He also didn't discuss anything about conditional status. However, there was no sign of doubt on his side when we presented our evidences. In fact, my husband and I felt that the interview went well.

Here is a list of questions thrown to us after swearing in to say the truth.

Question to my husband: How did you meet?
Question to my husband: When did you get married?
Question to me: State your full name. State your birthday, your mother's and father's names. When did you first enter the US. Then he asked for my passport and inquired about my previous visas (f1 then H1).
Question to us: He asked us how old we were.
Question to me: Then he asked me when I first entered the US. Where I first entered.
Then he asked for both our birth certificates and scrutinized it thoroughly. He then asked for our marriage certificate.
Question to us: He asked if we both work, where and how long. Then he requested for employment certificates. Then he went on to request for joint documents and he checked them rather quickly. I also handed him our photos and he kept pointing on people and asking my husband who they were.

He left us for about 5 minutes in the room to copy my passport.

The interview questions were very straightforward and I think we were ready for more challenging ones. But the bad part of it all though is that I expected to get a stamp on my passport and also a paper where we need to sign for conditional status....none of that happened. So please email me if you've got any similar experiences. I'm worried and kind of frustrated of not knowing where I stand at this time.

Eugene176,
I think your case approval is subject to namecheck (background check). i had very similar experience. my interview was on 5/9 at LA DO and the officer asked us no more than 5 questions and told us my case was pending FBI namecheck. he will approve the case upon completion of the namecheck. he did mention removal of condition process... there is not much to do regarding namecheck... i have been waiting... there are several threads about namecheck. it seems taht more and more people are waiting for namecheck now...

Hiddendragon38, Eugene176,

So sorry to hear these stories... My interview is next week, in LA also..and my timeline is very similar to Eugene176's... I guess I should not keep my hopes high of leaving that office with a smile..

Hiddendragon38 said:
Eugene176,
I think your case approval is subject to namecheck (background check). i had very similar experience. my interview was on 5/9 at LA DO and the officer asked us no more than 5 questions and told us my case was pending FBI namecheck. he will approve the case upon completion of the namecheck. he did mention removal of condition process... there is not much to do regarding namecheck... i have been waiting... there are several threads about namecheck. it seems taht more and more people are waiting for namecheck now...

I hope I don't get to wait that long. My husband and I are planning our ceremonial wedding this December and we plan to travel outside of the US. Per the consular officer, he said that it usually does not take long if they don't find anything in your record. I hope he is telling me the truth:((. So you have not heard anything since 5/9?

Hi eugene176,

Welcome to the world of FBI namecheck where so many people are staying. Dont worry all it means is that ur case will get approved once they get those results from FBI - there is no time limit in it.

Also dont worry about ur travel plans incase ur GC is not approved till then.
You can always use ur Advanced Parole with EAD to leave/enter the country.

Ari's Stick thread has info regarding that. You may want to read it

Also Why dont u check the thread below for Name Check:
http://www.immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?p=1462469#post1462469

I have also taken the liberty of adding you to the list. Please let me know ur country of origin - so that i could add that info

shahpr787 said:
Hi eugene176,

Welcome to the world of FBI namecheck where so many people are staying. Dont worry all it means is that ur case will get approved once they get those results from FBI - there is no time limit in it.

Also dont worry about ur travel plans incase ur GC is not approved till then.
You can always use ur Advanced Parole with EAD to leave/enter the country.

Ari's Stick thread has info regarding that. You may want to read it

Also Why dont u check the thread below for Name Check:
http://www.immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?p=1462469#post1462469

I have also taken the liberty of adding you to the list. Please let me know ur country of origin - so that i could add that info

Hi shahpr787

I am still in denial:( after all the sleepless nights and hard work preparing for this interview. My country of origin is Philippines and my birth year is 1976. So are you saying that none of the people in the list have received their GC?

eugene176 and wifey246,
i haven't heard anything from anyone yet. i called USCIS a week ago and was told i should be patient!! they didn't have any record as to name check matters. i do have an infopass set up next week, but i doubt i would get to know anything. :( i sent the FOIA letter to FBI and was replied that no record was found. so i wonder if there is anything to do except for waiting...

eugene176 said:
Hi shahpr787

I am still in denial:( after all the sleepless nights and hard work preparing for this interview. My country of origin is Philippines and my birth year is 1976. So are you saying that none of the people in the list have received their GC?

Yes - nobody in that list has had their GC though their interviews are done

Successful interview - Los Angeles DO

We just had a very nice and quick interview at the Los Angeles DO!

Now, my case is pretty complicated and i was anticipating a very difficult interview. I have overstayed my B2 visa for a few years. On top of that, in my B2 visa application, I declared myself as married even if i had been separated from my husband for many years. A couple of years ago, i found out that the marriage was not even valid.

After I married my USC husband, we consulted a lawyer who said i should have filed for a divorce anyways to keep my case simple. Well, a little too late for that!

We decided to go through this process without a lawyer. Everyday, we visit this forum to get invaluable information and advices. It has been a tremendous help for us!

We arrived half an hour early for the interview but could not find a parking space. We ended up parking our car 5 blocks away and were running all the way to the building! We were breathless and sweating and had only 2 minutes to spare. (LA interviewees - you've been warned :) )

We turned in our interview notice and waited for around 15 minutes until my name was called. The officer was very friendly. He said he will not bring us inside the office and he will conduct the interview right at the counter (I took this as a good sign :) )

He only asked us to confirm the information we have provided in the applications. So most of the words that came out of our mouths were "yes, that's correct". The only question we elaborated on was on how we met. He didn't even seem to pay much attention to our answer, more like small talk. Lastly, he picked 3 questions from the forms - have you been arrested...etc. He said he can look at the 2-inch file that we brought since we obviously spent a lot of effort to put it together. He browsed through the whole thing very quickly, commenting on pictures taken in places familiar to him and those that looked interesting. Everything took probably 10 minutes!

Then he said we can take a seat while he prepares a letter and he will have to bring our passports with him. He came out with this letter, took my I-94 and said I will be receiving the green card within 90 days but most likely in a week or two. I offered to turn in my EAD but he said I can keep it in case the card gets delayed in the mail. I asked to have my passport stamped but he said he doesn't have access to the stamp anymore but i can schedule an infopass to get it. (I'll wait for the card, no more walking 5 blocks through LA for me!)

I still can't believe it was that easy! I've been stressing over this interview for weeks, it's so wonderfully anticlimactic! :) :) :)

wifey246 said:
We just had a very nice and quick interview at the Los Angeles DO!

Now, my case is pretty complicated and i was anticipating a very difficult interview. I have overstayed my B2 visa for a few years. On top of that, in my B2 visa application, I declared myself as married even if i had been separated from my husband for many years. A couple of years ago, i found out that the marriage was not even valid.

After I married my USC husband, we consulted a lawyer who said i should have filed for a divorce anyways to keep my case simple. Well, a little too late for that!

We decided to go through this process without a lawyer. Everyday, we visit this forum to get invaluable information and advices. It has been a tremendous help for us!

We arrived half an hour early for the interview but could not find a parking space. We ended up parking our car 5 blocks away and were running all the way to the building! We were breathless and sweating and had only 2 minutes to spare. (LA interviewees - you've been warned :) )

We turned in our interview notice and waited for around 15 minutes until my name was called. The officer was very friendly. He said he will not bring us inside the office and he will conduct the interview right at the counter (I took this as a good sign :) )

He only asked us to confirm the information we have provided in the applications. So most of the words that came out of our mouths were "yes, that's correct". The only question we elaborated on was on how we met. He didn't even seem to pay much attention to our answer, more like small talk. Lastly, he picked 3 questions from the forms - have you been arrested...etc. He said he can look at the 2-inch file that we brought since we obviously spent a lot of effort to put it together. He browsed through the whole thing very quickly, commenting on pictures taken in places familiar to him and those that looked interesting. Everything took probably 10 minutes!

Then he said we can take a seat while he prepares a letter and he will have to bring our passports with him. He came out with this letter, took my I-94 and said I will be receiving the green card within 90 days but most likely in a week or two. I offered to turn in my EAD but he said I can keep it in case the card gets delayed in the mail. I asked to have my passport stamped but he said he doesn't have access to the stamp anymore but i can schedule an infopass to get it. (I'll wait for the card, no more walking 5 blocks through LA for me!)

I still can't believe it was that easy! I've been stressing over this interview for weeks, it's so wonderfully anticlimactic! :) :) :)

Well congrads! I gotta say I am worried about getting an interview but that wont happen til Late Fall so I have time to spare but the anxiety is killing me lol.

Approved but pending name check

First of all I want to thank God for His favour upon us during the entire interview. I will also like to say a big "Thank you" to everyone on this forum. After I found this forum we did not need any lawyer again.

We got to the interview about 45mins earlier. About an hour later a young lady came out to call our names. We got up and met her at the door. She said she will like to talk to me first and I followed her to her office. She was very pleasant & laugh went I told her how we met.

She ask me the follow:
My ID, My name, Date of Birth
Address,
Telephone
My Husband name, His date of Birth, His job & the hours he work
How we met, Date of marrige & where we were married
She asked me all the question on 1-485 which I answer NO no...
Have I met my mother-in-law & when was the last time I saw her- Sunday after church. she then ask for name of my church: I gave her & her she oh! I have heard about that church
She then took my I-94 and said I am ok with you and will approve your case but your name check is not yet in your file (she explained that since my application is very fast it take time for the name check to come back, she mentioned that they are having more pending name checks now bcos the interview is coming up earlier). She said " I will send you your appproval letter once I have the name check).

She followed me back outside & asked my husband to follow her:
(He was with the file of documents, we had a big file containing all our evidences & Album)

She asked him:
His ID & His name
Address
How we met
What does he have for her?

After giving her the AEP & Tel bill she said that is Ok and only look at a couple of the pixs and said she is ok with us and also told him that she is satisfied with us. She told him also that I will get the approval letter once the name check comes through. He came out & we left smiling :)

Regarding my EAD- I went for an infopass on thursday & was told that since my interview is in a couple of days time I will not need is again if I am approved. My husband asked her about my EAD and she said that is already approved and I should get it in the mail soon before the GC letter.

Though the name checking is pending But I am very happy the interview went well. The total time was about 15min. I spend 10min while my hubby spent 5min. Add me to the name check table

Good luck to everyone who interview is coming up soon

Denver, CO
The interview was scheduled for 11:15, we arrived at 11:05, submitted the interview letter and waited for one hour. Time was passing by pretty fast though.

We were called in by a very young and nice looking guy, probably in his thirties. He was as nice and pleasant as he looked.
He swore us in, looked at our IDs, verified all the questions from I-485, almost didn't ask for anything but tax returns, employment letter, our lease agreement and pictures.

When it came to proof of relationship, he was very understanding that we couldn't get insurance or bank account together because I didn't have a Social yet.
He was happy with our lease agreement, a hotel room bill from when we went to Washington D.C. (his name, my credit card) and the 102 pictures that I had printed out.

He asked very casually where we met each other and my hubby said, in Germany, when I was stationed with the Airforce in her home town.
And I added, that we met in an Irish Pub.
The officer joked that Josh should have gone to a German pub, so he could learn German! And asked him if he spoke German, and we said yes, a little.

He was having fun looking at the pics. When he saw the picture of my hubby's friend's baby at our Welcome Party in PA last year, he asked who it was and we told him and said that he looked like the baby from the Quiznos commercial. He laughed out loud at that.
He enjoyed the pictures from when my parents-in-law were here three weeks ago.

Then he said: Well I don't have to spend more time on this, I have one more case to do before lunch...
He explained that he had to do a final security check and that was the end of the interview.

Lasted about 20 minutes.

He didn't even want to see paystubs or our marriage certificate. It was a very pleasant experience, I really didn't have to be that worried!

I got the approval emails 4 hours later. :)

Thanks so much to this forum, a_usc, Ari4u, cherr1980, rex1960, payala, justnew, running_swede, sarrebal, jenimmi, JohnnyCash, indone, someitguy and everyone else who helped me, was thinking of me and prayed for me!
This forum rocks!