AOS Interview Experiences: Collection

Ran to the Dr, got the box checked and they resealed it in an envelope.
Took it in, he opened the envelope, asked for my wifes passport, stamped
it for 1 year, and said the card will be in the mail.

Woohoo :)

Thanks again all!

DO fairfax,VA

I had my interview on 30 Aug at 11.15 am ,we reached there around 10.45.There is a parking lot right behind the office $4/day.Handed over the I.L at the counter on 1st floor.After 10 mins the interview officer called us but we requested her that we want to wait for our lawyer so she said ok we can wait for 10 min.Lawyer came within 5 mins.After 15 min we were called in,before sitting she made us raise our hands and swore in.
Then she asked for my passport ,DL and my husbands green card and DL.
Then went on with the I-485 like name,DOB,address,ETC then asked my husband his name,DOB etc.And date of marriage.then asked for 2005 tax returns then saw my canadian landing paper.(since I came into US thru canada)I applied for 245 (i),so asked if I paid the $1000.then she checked for the visa # which had gone back for 2A category to 1999,so she said that she could stamp my passport now but since the visa # is not available she cannot,it might be available in oct since they start their new yr in oct.once it is available I can come back with my passport and get it stamped(do not need interview)She did not ask for any other documents,since we r married for 6 yrs and have 2 children together(she had their BC in her file)
Now the visa# is available for oct so I made an infopass appointment to get my passport stamped.
RD:16 march2006
ND:20 march2006
ID: 30 august 2006

little confused

Hi,

We got a notice saying ASC appointment notice. But the matter says it is for biometrics. i.e, matter is just same as the finger print notice. But the header says ASC appointment notice. So we are little confused weather it is an 485 interview or just biometrics. Any suggestions or clues... please.

Thanks,
gcwait2005

gcwait2005 said:
Hi,

We got a notice saying ASC appointment notice. But the matter says it is for biometrics. i.e, matter is just same as the finger print notice. But the header says ASC appointment notice. So we are little confused weather it is an 485 interview or just biometrics. Any suggestions or clues... please.

Thanks,
gcwait2005

sounds like a fp notice...good luck

October 12, 2006

My husband and I had our interview with immigration this morning at 7 a.m. We were not called on till about 20 past 7. The man called our names and I said good morning and he said nothing. I put my purse on his desk and he said get that off of there quite rudely. I said oh, okay and put it on the seat with all of our papers that were in a brief case. After we were sworn in he immediately asked my husband to leave the room and walked him to another room. It was freezing like New England in February. Icy cold. The man asked the following questions:

Where did you meet?

Were your parents there? No they are dead.

What about his parents? No they are in Morocco .

Who was there? My sister lee, bill and mutual friends.

What did you do after the ceremony? Had a great party and stayed at his house afterwards.

Who was at the party? All our friends and sister.

What’s her number?

Uhmmmm 000-000-0000. He tried calling and said it went straight to voicemail.

How many bedrooms in your house.
What is the other room used for.

Where is the light switch located in your room? .

What light does it turn on?

Where is the alarm clock? .

What color is the numbers?

Is it a clock radio?

Do you have a dishwasher?

Do you have a toaster?
Do you have an ice machine?

Who cooks? .

Who shops?

Who does the laundry?

Who cleans?

What did you have for dinner last night?

What time did you get up this morning?

Did you shower?

What time did he get up? .

Did he shower?

Did you live at such and such an address on gulf blvd?

Who is Robert somebody? Who? I have no idea. Who is it?

Is it someone you lived with? SMIRK NO! I lived with my son!

What did you do at Christmas?
(smirk)

You do not know Robert so and so? NOOOO. My landlord??

No

You have an (car kind)? Not anymore. I sold it.

Well, it says you registered it may of 2006? What, no I just sold the thing. Are you sure you have the right dates?

(Smirk), exasperation.

Ok. Let’s go.

He took me to where My husband was waiting. And said nothing. Took him and I sat for ½ hour or so. Freezing my ass off.

He comes back out with him. Says lets go. I said it is so cold in here. He did not acknowledge me.

He starts by saying, you know that you are still under oath and you are speaking to an immigration officer who is like a judge. I said I understood that. He said stand up and go read the sign on the wall which I did. It described the penalties for fraud, etc.

I said okay. He began by saying I do not believe you or him that this is a real marriage.

I was stunned and tried to defend myself and my husband. He would have none of it. His looks were sarcastic, mean and nasty. I was going to ask for a supervisor because I could feel this man was an ass. As I was thinking to do that he brought in the supervisor who was an older woman.

She took me to her office and started by saying we do not believe this. He is Moroccan. He wants his papers and he does not love you and will get his green card and work permit and he is going to leave. He is using you. You are going to be very hurt. I objected strongly to the statement.

Do you actually believe that this man is going to stay with you until you die or he dies? Well, as I have learned in this life, mam there are no guarantees about anything. She rolls her eyes and says that’s what you think about marriage? That’s what I think about everything.

What does your son really think about this? As I started answering the questions she was interrupted 3x by 3 different employees. All I could get out was my son has been very supportive of my marriage to my husband. She did not hear a word because of the distractions of people walking in.

What is your religion? Uhmmm I am spiritual. No formal religion.

What religion is he? He is Muslim.

Why aren’t you? Because I do not want to, however from what I have read and learned about the Islamic faith there are some similarities in what I believe. She closed her eyes and smirked shook her head and said Oh you think so? There is? I said yes. Smirk.

My job is to protect you as an American citizen. This man is using you to get permanent residence. I said I am an intelligent woman and feel I have a strong grasp of how I feel about the people in my life and there are a VERY SELECT FEW that I allow into my life and my husband is one of them and I can count on 1 hand the amount of people who I share my life with. She shook her head. Listen, you look like an intelligent independent woman and he has you so wrapped into believing him. He was married before you know that right? Yes I do. Well, he tried to get green card with her, he got work permit and within a few months she filed for divorce. Yes, I know that. Heres her picture. I wish you could call her and talk to her about him. I said I appreciated her concern but I love my husband and I want him to be approved. She said no. I am not approving this today.

Did you know that if you went to his mother’s house in morocco the reaction you would get by the way you are dressed? I said what?? I was dressed in black skirt, a great top and heels. For us you are acceptable. There you would not be. Oh okay. He will never be intergrated into this society. What?? What do you mean by that? Moroccans are like that. I cannot recall at the moment what else she said in regards to this. I asked…is there not other groups of people or are you talking specifically about Moroccans? Oh yes, of course, there are these people and these, and the old man comes in with a young Asian blah blah blah. I think at this point I completely was losing it. They find someone and use them. He has you so wrapped. I wish I had a tape recorder so that you could hear yourself. I again tried to explain my feelings but she shut me off and said do you know how many times I have heard this from people? I have worked here for such and such a time.

I finally said, look, I lost my son a year ago almost to the day. 4 months after I married him and again, of the select few people HE has been the kindest, supportive, loving and understanding. I lost my son and I do not want to lose my husband too. Well, I a.m. sorry for that…have you ever lost somebody mam?? No I have not. Well, I have and the man I married was and is with me as a source of comfort and love and respect.

There was another comment I think about age and my response was I am a very lucky woman. She shook her head in disgust again.

I a.m. sorry but I will not approve this today. We need to investigate further, FBI, civil, state, etc. We will send letter in couple of weeks. I said mam I want my husband to be approved today. NO he is not going to be approved. I then asked her what the process would be. Another interview? NO. Do you want to see pictures, anything we brought? NO! Do you know how many people bring in boxes of pictures? Well, I again pushed the outcome of investigation…she explained they have to PROVE that he is not for real. Anything to prove our marriage is not real. She said for me to take the 2 weeks and watch and listen and again to call her if I change my mind, as I a.m. the petitioner and technically and legally have the right to have my husband, unless something or someone proves otherwise.

my husband was asked the same questions and gave the same answers. When the guy called him back into the office he did the same thing to him that he did to me. Remember you are under oath. Read the sign on the wall. He proceeds to say to him, so you love this chick uh? my husband said yes I do. Do you consummate this marriage? Uhm… what does that mean? Do you have intercourse? Yes we do. I do not believe you. I a.m. going to leave the room and give you a minute to think about this. He left him in the room for a few minutes and came back and said all right are you ready to tell the truth? my husband stated that he was telling the truth. he tried to explain more, but the guy would not and did not listen. He made him leave the room and wait in waiting room for me.

I walked out with the lady and again tried to have her look at our papers, pictures etc. NO! NO! I said well, ok. I tried to tell her I appreciated her time and concern, but I love my husband. She did not want to hear anything.

I walked to my husband and he knew that I had been crying and he kept saying what happened what happened. Are you all right? I said lets just get out of here. He put his arms around me and kissed me and said I a.m. so sorry so sorry to we have to go through this. We were both mortified at the entire experience.

I think it is not so much the outcome of petition, but the behavior, the attitude, the smirks, the rolling eyeballs, the disrespect of calling me, his wife, “chick”, the judgments of my husband personally as well as Moroccans in general, the stereotyping, the profiling, racism and total disdain for him that was exhibited that completely blows me away.

has anyone experieneced this kind of treatment in an interview??? There is definitely an age difference as i am older by 20 years, (so is Demi Moore and Ashton Kutchner! and thats ok).....does anyone know what they mean by investigate and how do i proceed to face this challenge? Is it because he is Morocan or because of the age difference? any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. we are both shocked and dismayed by this treatment and lack of respect.

We went to interview today. Was scheduled for 8 am, arrived at 7. Not allowed to enter the building until 7:30. Checked in with the receptionist and waited until 8:15 before the officer called their name. Give her the passports, she flipped through the document and asked why they came in May and already submitted AOS in July? I told her, they initially just wanted to visit us for 6 month and bought the round trip tickets. But I finally convinced my parents to stay with us permanently. Things changed, etc. Then she starts saying that they shouldn’t do that, instead they should waited oversea to do the CP. Well, at this point, I don’t know how this interview will continue. Eventually, she asked did my parents tell told the truth to the consular during the visa interview that I was a green card holder. I said yes, as a matter of fact, I prepared all the documents for my parents She said, don’t lie to me, she will check with the consulate. I told her that will be fine. Later, she asked if we bring in the household registry card. We brought the original and showed it to her. She said since it is in foreign language, I need to have someone other than me to translate into English, even my wife is allowed do this. Therefore, at the end she couldn’t approve the green card pending the following
1) She will check with the consulate to see if my parents did tell the truth during the IV application.
2) We will mail in the English translation of the Household Registry for my parents.

She said she approved the I-765 today and the card will arrive in the mail in 2 weeks. When I asked about the FBI name check, she said it doesn’t matter now since she won’t approve it pending the two things above. I insisted if she could check, and she did. My mom was cleared and my dad is not yet.

After all, I was little disappointed. My wife quickly translated the document and mailed them back right away this afternoon. Now I am hoping it won’t take too long for the officer to get the info from the consulate. Anyone had any experience with that when the CIS need to verify the info with the consulate? Usually how long it will take before CIS can make the final decision?

Secondly, again the dreaded FBI NC. I had to sue them to get Citizenship early this year. Now, it’s my dad’s turn. Is this a family tradition? I hope his name can be cleared soon in the next 3 months, otherwise, I will have to do this Pro Se thing all over again, but this time will be $100 more expensive.

BTW, does everyone get LUD when I-765 approved by DO? If yes, is it on the same day, or next day? All my 6 applications still no LUD since 9/2/06.

hi, first i want to thank all the people who wrote their experiences. these stories worth more than gold.
i just couldn't understand. some people say that the interviewer asked how they've married, if they know eachother's families etc.. are these people won the DV lotteries or they've just married to an USC?
i was reading thinking that they were DV lottery winners but i think they're not? is it right?

FOR MNG_CHU - regarding your AOS Interview

Dear mng_chu,

I read your interview story and was almost in tears all over again. The exact same scenario happened to my husband and I during an AOS interview in Bloomington, MN (2004).
I come from a country like your husband's morocco that is looked down upon in the US immigration. My husband and I had known each other for 5 yrs and even lived together for 1.5 yrs before marriage. We went without a lawyer and did not realise that we were setting ourselves up for abuse by not having a lawyer because of my place of origin. We felt we had nothing to hide and didnt need one.

MISTAKE #1: Even if confident have a reputable lawyer with you. That way you cannot be abused. They may hate you for who they think you are but they cannot abuse you with a lawyer present.

Anyway, our first interview was a nightmare. They separated us immediately (I have come to learn that this is the pattern if they are suspicious of you), they asked the most ridiculous questions. The interviewer also twisted questions. He asked me if we had any children and I said not together, but my husband has a child from a preivous marriage. He asked my husband if we had any children together and he said no. He eventually wrote that up as the crux of his denial. The supervisor and interviewer tried to get my husband to withdraw his application telling him all kinds of crazy things and threatening him with fraud. He insisted that he loved me and we married for that reason. He was so disgusted with their tactics and finally, just to get out of there he wrote "I choose to withdraw my application at this time because it does not appear it would be approved." He said he just figured that these people were nuts, and he would withdraw, and reapply and hopefully, we would talk to people with better sense. That's D for you Obviously, he had no clue what the impact of his action was but in hindsight he did what he thought was best under the cirumstances, and I support him.

We have since refiled and are awaiting another interview. This time we plan to go with our lawyer, family, every darn thing.

I know this is hard but please don't let this discourage you or cause you to lose your love for each other. See it as a challenge, regroup and fight it head on.

PS - Another thing - Do not wait for the 2 weeks he said. Immediately you receive a denial letter from them, appeal it immediately (within 2 weeks) - dont let any lawyer delay you - be on top of it.

MISTAKE #2: DO NOT WAIT TO TAKE ACTION. APPEAL! AND IF POSSIBLE, SIMULTANEOUSLY RE-APPLY

Let them know you are not going anywhere. We have come to learn that one of your rights as a USC is that you can chose to fall in love with anyone, and it is your right to be with that person no matter what they think of the person's country of origin. Of course, this is barring that the person you are in love with is not a criminal, or has other issues that would make them ineligible for immigration benefits.

So, you should plan to reapply everything again. You know that your relationship is bonafide - if it takes them seeing you there every year to realize that this is so - then they should be ready to see you yearly.

PPS- Dont forget to smile. Live your lives as best as you can. This too shall pass :D :D

Interview in Bloomington, MN

Our interview was in Bloomington, MN and we were in the waiting room fifteen minutes before the scheduled time. We were called in half an hour later. We were administered the oath, and were informed that our interview would be observed.

Before the observer came in, we handed the interviewer our IDs, my EAD and AP, and a 1.5 inch stack of copies of proof of relationship documents.

The observer came in and the interview started. I was asked my name, address, SS#, DOB, place of birth, parents' names, if I'd been married before, if I had any children or step children anywhere in the world. My husband was also asked the marriage and children questions. Our interviewer asked how we met. We were asked if family members had attended our wedding, and we pulled out the album. Our observer looked through the album, and seemed to enjoy the occasional goofy pictures thrown in. We were asked about our future plans as a family, if and when we plan on having children, etc. After that, I was asked the standard, "have you been convicted of a crime, arrested, a communist, etc" questions.

At the end, we were told that we were approved, and I was asked if I planned on traveling. I said I'd like the option in case I needed to travel, so the observer left the room to get a stamp. In the meantime, we were told about removing conditions in 2 years.

The interview took a total of about 20 minutes and was a very pleasant experience. Both the interviewer and the observer were very courteous and professional. They were personable and helped put me at ease.

I thought I posted this here already, but here it is again....

Hello All,

I wanted to post our experience with our interview held today in Newark, NJ. Our appt. was for 8:00 at 8:20, our name was called and we began our interview with the immigration officer. My husband and I had organized all of our supporting documents so that we would have no problems in locating them. I had my job type up a formal letter stating my salary and time at my position. We also provided tax returns, insurance info., pictures, paystubs, etc.

At any rate the immigration officer flipped through our chart and would ask us questions not directed at either one of us. She then asked my husband if he had ever met my mom and what was her name, and what was my dad's name, where did we get married, have our honeymoon, etc. She then asked me the same questions, if I ever met my husband's parents, where were they located, etc.

She made us so at ease, she was so nice and the entire process was painless. She stamped the back of my husband's passport (I-551, and an employment authorization stap), and we were told we will have to submit an I-751 because we have been married such a short period of time. Our first anniversary is 11/4/06. She encouraged us to go and obtain our social security numbers, which we did today.

Thanks so much to everyone on this site. The insight provided here is invaluable. Our process is not quite over, but we are on our way. Good luck to all who are still going through the process.

I-130: RD 3/13/06, ND 3/16/06
I-485: RD 3/13/06, ND 3/16/06
I-765: RD 3/13/06, ND 3/16/06
I-797: FP & BIO ND 3/22/06; appt. 4/5/06
(We had a delay because we did not submit our medical info with the rest of the information, so we had 87 days to submit and that was done and sent in)
I-797D (Work Authorization) RD: 9/7/06
Interview notice: 9/15/06
Interview today: 11/2/04

Well, our experience was really cool :) . The appointment was Nov 17 at 1:15. We arrived at 1:00 pm. We waited for like an hour, and we spent like an hour in the interview, but the Immigration Officer was really nice to us. As soon as we entered his office he said he went through our paperwork already and everything looked fine, and that he was going to grant our case. I even asked : You don’t even want to see our cool pictures :cool: ?

He administered the oath and told us the interview would be recorded, asked us for ID and most likely verified the information in our file. Asked me my information, full name, birth date, place of birth, the name of my parents, the date when I last entered the country, the reason of my trip, if I have been married before, if I had children, etc. Then he asked my husband his information. He asked me if I wanted to keep my maiden name, or if I wanted my husband’s last name, then he noticed a mistake in the translation of my birth certificate, we had a corrected one but he said it was not necessary. Then he spent a lot of time verifying information about my husband divorces -more than one... :eek: – Then, he said we would need to come back with a copy of one of the divorces :confused: because the one we had didn’t have the ‘filed’ stamp, and they needed proof that it had been filed by the court already… : ( But, we mentioned it was already online, in the court website, and he was so nice to look for it, print a copy and attach it to our file. ;) He said that was enough.

He said something was wrong with my husband’s information in their files :confused: and that he was going to take care of that :) . He left us by ourselves twice, and we were just making conversation and making plans for dinner. At the end, he came back and asked for documents with both our names, we told him we didn’t have much (bank account, insurance, etc) because we were waiting for my SSN and we gave him 2 utility bills and my husband’s employment benefits letter (including me) and that was it.

He asked me the usual questions in the application, for all of them my answer was NO………Then he stamped my application ‘approved’ :D and said I will receive my card within 5 days to 5 weeks. I asked if he could stamp my passport as well but he said they no longer do that, and I should have my card shortly. Then he mentioned my card was conditional and explained to us what we would need to do to remove the conditional resident status. He said that was it and congratulated us :D .

We had with us all our original documents, a set of copies, copies of all the documents we previously submitted, originals and copies of some pictures, and even a big photo album, and we were the only ones joking and chatting in the waiting room. Every one else was so quiet and nervous. I really don't know if that helped. I just would say, try to relax, make conversation... organize your documents and take as much as you can... and when a marriage is bona fide... there should be nothing to worry about. They probably ask a lot of questions only if they suspect fraud, and obviously, each interview is unique. Good luck and keep us posted!! :D

My husband and I had our interview today at the Los Angeles office. I am a USC and my husband is (was!) an F-1 student adjusting to PR. We had prepared lots of information in a big accordion file, and had copies and originals of everything: a copy of the original application & supporting documents, passports, birth certificates, SSN cards, financial information (to back up what we had submitted for the Affadavit of support, e.g. verification of income etc.), the marriage certificate, wedding cards we’d received, joint documents – lease, renters insurance, joint checking account, joint credit card, and utility bills. We also had two photo albums: one from our wedding and one from lots of things we’ve done since we’ve been together, before and after the wedding. We also brought duplicates of some of our wedding photos as an afterthought, and that turned out to be very useful. <i>Of all of that, the interviewer only looked at our California IDs, our joint documents, and our duplicate wedding photos.</i>

We arrived about 30 minutes early and went through security, then went up to the room for our interview. A woman in the front took the interview letter, and then we had a seat. Our interview was scheduled for 8:20 and we were called in at 8:00.

Our interviewer took us to his office and asked us to swear in before we sat down (“whole truth, nothing but the truth, etc.”), and then he looked through our file for a couple of minutes without asking us much. The first thing he asked was whether my husband had had his biometrics yet (he had), and we showed him the stamped biometrics letter from last month, and the interviewer checked or typed something on his computer. Then, he asked to see our California IDs, and he checked both of these carefully and then left them on the desk in front of him. He verified some information while looking through the file: our address, my husband’s birthday (the applicant), the spelling of his name.

Then he asked us some questions – we were interviewed together the whole time. He asked my husband how we met, and he answered and then I added some details. The interviewer noted aloud that we’d met more than 2 years ago. Then he asked my husband if he could give some more details about how we dated, so my husband told the story of our first date and we both talked a bit about our other dates before we got together. He asked how long we’d been married. Then he asked my husband whether I had siblings and what were their names, and then he asked me the same question about my husband’s siblings. He asked us each individually about the other’s hobbies, whether this was our first marriage (yes), and whether we had any children (no), and then he asked me if I was pregnant (I’m not). He asked me if I was working, and I said no, I’m a graduate student on a fellowship. (My fellowship income is over the poverty cut-off, though, so it’s fine.) He turned to the affidavit of support in his file, and verified my income with me, and then he asked “Is that enough?” (almost like he was thinking out loud, not as a real question) and then asked my husband if he was working, and he explained that he is working part time as a teaching assistant for which he gets a living stipend and his fees paid. The interviewer seemed satisfied with that.

Then he ran through pretty much all of the questions on the I-485 with my husband – have you ever practiced prostitution, terrorism, been a communist, persecuted people, been under deportation proceedings or had problems with immigration, etc. – and he checked the questions off in the application. He asked if my husband planned to practice polygamy, and he said no, and I was laughing and said “He’d better not!” Then the interviewer joked with us and asked my husband whether I knew about his other 5 girlfriends, but then of course that I was the “main” one.

Then he asked me, “What is special about this man?” I was laughing a bit when I answered – it’s hard to answer these personal questions to a perfect stranger! I gave some of the qualities that I love about my husband. Then he asked my husband, “How would you characterize your spouse?” He listed a few things about me. Throughout all of this we were smiling. My impression was that the interviewer was just verifying that we do love each other, and wasn’t “grilling” us.

Then he asked to see our joint papers, and we pulled out copies and originals of our lease, our renters insurance, joint checking account and joint credit card (a few months of each copied), and utility bills – one in my name and one in my husband’s. The interviewer commented approvingly, “Good, good.” Then he asked if we’d had a wedding party, and we said we’d had a wedding and that we had photos. We got out the duplicates and the photo album, but he just took the envelope of duplicates and selected about a dozen photos from them to keep and put in our file. He asked who a few people were in the photos, and we pointed out a few more details. He asked if we had an attorney – we didn’t – and commented that we’d done very well, and that attorneys charge 2000 or 3000 dollars to do what we had done (organize all the papers etc.).

Then, as he was finishing up and looking through and making notes in the file, he asked my husband, “Tell me, what is your definition of happiness?” We were surprised to get such a philosophical question, but he answered it, and then I got the same question.

Then the interviewer said “I’m going to approve your green card.” We thanked him, and he explained the procedures for removing conditions after 21 months, and urged us to make sure to do it, otherwise my husband would be deported. He said that when we apply to remove conditions, we should attach all the same kind of joint documents we’d given him, and that the best thing we could attach would be the birth certificate of our baby (we don’t have any kids, and I’m not pregnant, but clearly that kind of evidence would strongly demonstrate a bone fide marriage). When we left, he also wished us good luck or something and wished us to have children!

He said we’d receive the green card in 10 days to 2 weeks. We are a bit concerned, because we’re traveling abroad for the holidays in just over 2 weeks, and we explained that and showed him the ticket. But he said that they don’t stamp passports any more, and assured us that it would probably arrive very quickly and that he would put the approval in the system right away. We asked about advance parole, which we haven’t received yet (nor the employment authorization), but he didn’t seem to know much about it: it seems to be dealt with by another office, and our interviewer suggested we could go and ask them about it. After the interview, we went to the advance parole office, but they said they couldn’t give us expedited advance parole unless there was a medical emergency or urgent business reason to travel, and said we could call the customer service line to ask if they could do anything, but that they’d probably give us the same answer.

All in all, it was a positive experience, and an easy and stress-free interview. We’re hopeful that the green card will come in the mail before we have to leave for the holidays. We were very well prepared and organized, I felt, and that is thanks to all the information I found from this and other boards and from other people’s interview experiences.

Timeline:

09/19/06 - Day 01 -USCIS received date (RD)
09/25/06 - Day 06 -Notice date (ND) for NOAs
09/26/06 - Day 07 -checks cashed
09/27/06 - Day 08 -received NOA (Notices of Action) for I485, I130, I131, I785
09/28/06 - Day 09 -Notice date for NOA for biometrics
10/02/06 - Day 13 -Biometrics NOA received
10/06/06 - Day 17 -Notice date for request for interview (interview letter)
10/12/06 - Day 23 -Biometrics appt
11/29/06 - Day 71 -Interview – approved!!
Files touched at day 9, 16, 21, and 50.

We Had our interview today my wife and I at the Charlotte Office. My wife is the USC and i'm an F-1 student (or was:) ). We been married for almost 3 years so we werent too worried bout the interview, yet we got stressed on the way there. I had prepared a big folder with everything they might ask for (thnx to this forum). Our interview was schedualed for 10.00am. We got there at 9.40 and got called in at 10 sharp. our interviewer was very formal and had a very quiet voice (we were having a hard time hearing what she was saying). She had us sworn in the we sat down, asked for our driver's licenses. She then asked us whether we were married before (I wasnt but my wife was), she also asked if we had any kids from previous marriages, and their birthdates (My wife did, she was nervous and she messed up the birthday of her 2nd daughter :) but it didnt really matter imo). Then She asked me the typical question bout terrorism and prostitutions etc. She then asked for proof of joint life, i gave a copy of our lease, insurance, bank account, phone bill, joint car title, federal and state tax. She seemed satisfied. Then she asked how we met, and when. I gave her the wrong year, we met in september 2003 and got married in april 2004, but i told her that we met in september 2004, so she said that you got married in april 2004, so we laughed and i told her it must've been 2003 then.. She then asked for my passport and EADs, she removed the I-94 from my passport and told me that i dont need it anymore. Then she took the EADs stamped my passport, and told me that the card will be in the mail in a few weeks. She didnt ask for no pictures, no proof of income, nothing else beside the papers mentioned above. I'd say it took 10 minutes. The IO was very formal and professional and it was alot easier than I thought it would be.

I would like to mention that my wife is 10 years older than me, and that wasnt even brought up. I read that some ppl were worried about the age difference of their spouses and I would like them to know that It wasnt an issue at all for me. Maybe coz we been married for almost 3 years, i donnow.

Below is my timeline, thnx for everyone that posted their experiences on this forum, its been very helpful. Good Luck to all.

Timeline:

05/06/06 - USCIS received date (RD)
05/10/06 - Notice date (ND)
10/02/06 - Biometrics NOA received
10/20/06 - Biometrics appt
10/27/06 - Received EAD
11/14/06 - Notice date for request for interview (interview letter)
12/04/06 - Interview – approved!!

We DID go to our interview as scheduled and WE ARE SO GLAD we did. First let me explain the situation. In early November I get a letter regaridng the interview and it is scheduled for December 5. Of course having only about a month left, we start gathering supporting documents...About 2.5 weeks before the interview I get an e--mail (I signed up for the updates over the internet) that says that my interview was cancelled ...I call 1-800 number right away, I heard before that such messages can be an error, so to confirm that it might have been an error, I call...Believe it or not the 1-800 person tells me that it was in fact cancelled and I should not go to the interview - as you can imagine I am devastated...in about a week I get another e-mail update telling me that my papers are in BSC and my interview is deshceduled....I cannot believe it!!!! Despite the fact that all possible sources tell us that it was cancelled, not willing to deal with the option of not showing up (just in case it was not cancelled), we make a decision that unless we get a paper notice of the canelation in the mail, we are still going to go. (about 6-7 hour drive from where we live now)....so we do that. ]

Now to the day of the interview...

We showed up about 30 minutes prior to the time indicated on the notice. The guard at the door, does not check our notice againts any hard copy list or computer, but lets us in and tells us to wait. We are very confused, since we assume that our interview was cancelled and since he did not check us in or anything, we are nerveous that we might have to wait the whole day until we find that out, however we do not say anything and decide to wait...The waiting room is about 1/3 full - some couples, some people dressed in uniform, some random (single people and families)...some have lawyers, some have kids, some have piles of supporting docs. We are waiting....When people who showed after us are being called, we decide that we are going to wait another 30 minutes and then try to see if we have been cancelled, we are pretty much sure at that point that we will have to leave with empty hands...

The next moment a lady walks in, and.....calls my name!!!! It was so unexpected!!! She tells us to follow her and takes us to her office. We say the oath and sit down. She starts through the routine questions and starts with the question of my date of birth --- which I do not understand (for whatever strange reason :) ) and ask her to repeat it. Then she pretty much just asked how we met (I was telling the story and kind of messed it up a little bit), then she asked why we lived separately (I was still in school and my wife had a job in DC), so we explained. Then she asked about our honeymoon and we showed the pictures. Then she asked about I-864 and why it was not notarized, I explained that we mailed it when they came up with the new form and the new guidance, which did not require notarization. She asked why we used the old form in that case...I had nothing to say besides "I am sorry...". She did something on her computer, which kind of made us nerveous for a bit, but....she was simply printing the new form, which she gave my wife to fill out. That was pretty much it, she stampped the forms with "approved" stamp and stampped my passport and said the card will be on its way in about a month. Then she explained about the conditions and such...and we were out in about 10 minutes :)

Thanks everybody for your help. Goodluck to those who are waiting. Please always go by the hardcopy notices, DO NOT take electronic messages seriously unless you get the same notice in the mail. WE did not and as you can see it was the right choice. I cannot imagine the array of problems we would have to deal with if we would have actually followed the e-mail and the "advise" of the 1-800 customer service....

Sorry for the long post - I have posted this elsewhere but I want to post it here as well.
As my interview approached I did start getting nervous but my husband and I made a decision not to prepare because then it would seem acted out and we would not be natural. I did worry because my husband can be forgetful with dates and stuff. :)
Anyway, for the preparation, I had the exact file that I had submitted to USCIS initially. I also updated all the paychecks, bills, photos with more current ones. I also had an additional folder that had all the originals e.g. birth certificates, passports, all USCIS communication etc. I have to stress that it is very important to organize your documents in a way that is easy to find and pull it out when they request a document because you never know what they will ask for. For the photos, I did not even have an album; I organized the pictures in word and labeled them describing the people in the pictures and when it was taken. I just printed that on plain paper. This is what I had submitted originally and what I also carried with me.
Even with all this – I was still nervous!
My interview was on 12/15 and it took all but 7 minutes.
We got there about 15 minutes early and stood outside in line for about 4 minutes (there were only 5 people in line total) and then they called us in based on the interview time. We went through security and were ushered through a hallway into another waiting area. There was only one other couple waiting. We waited for another 5 minutes before the officer called us.
We walked into his office and he asked us to sit down. He then made us swear to tell the truth. We did. He asked for our ID’s and looked through all the paperwork I had submitted and then confirmed my name and address while marking the paperwork. He asked when we first met and I got the year wrong (My husband laughs about this because I kept saying he would forget but I am the one that forgot!) He then asked my husband where he was born.
Next thing he asked for was one document showing both our names. I had a long list of items so I had him select what he wanted and he picked the joint credit card copy.
Then he started talking about the conditional green card. (At this point I did not want to say a word because I was too scared to talk!!) He told me it is only valid two years and explained the process of getting the 10 year card. He then asked for my passport and told me he was giving me a one month stamp that I could use to travel if I wanted to, although he said I would get the actual card in 8 days. (I was really surprised he wanted to stamp my passport because I have noticed they do not do that anymore - I had intended on asking for it)
Then he said congratulations on becoming a permanent resident. I was elated to say the least!!! I wanted to scream and jump up and down - but I could not. I started to get up then he asked
"Don’t you want to know how to get your citizenship?" So I sat down while he explained that. When he was done, he shook our hands and walked us out. The Interview did not take more than 7 minutes.
I made all kinds of copies, had every original you can think about – he only asked for copies of joint credit card. That is it.
I got my green card a week later.

Tips I have learnt from this forum that helped me tremendously with the interview:
• Be organized
• Do not talk unnecessarily – This was hard for me, but I did it.
• Take copies of everything and take originals. It is better to be over-prepared than
under-prepared.​
Tips I learnt from this forum when filing:
• Read and Double Read the instructions for each form. Go through this forum, read people’s experience – It REALLY helps.
• Check to make sure all the fields are completed. Use the fillable forms when possible, this was a great help!
• Use the cover page that has a checklist, it is listed somewhere on this forum. That was a great guide to make sure you do not forget something.
• I two-hole punched the paperwork and also tabbed the documents for them, I am not sure if this helped in my smooth process but I know it helped me organize everything for my copies. (This is also what I took for the interview) They recommend it on the USCIS website so I did it. I also organized it in the order that USCIS requested.
• For every form you complete – have a second person double check it. You never know what you have missed – second eyes are great
• Before you send it in – go through the checklist one more time to make sure you have everything. It is an extra step but it may save you an RFE.​

I did this without the help of any lawyer – but I had this website!!! Thank You Everyone! :)

Last edited by a moderator: