AOS and I-824 clarifications...pls. HELP

sambats

Registered Users (C)
Hi guys,

I am seeking some clarifications...help is very much appreciated.

1) My I-140 was approved and I- 485 was filed in Jan'03 in California service center...currently they are processing.. Mar'02 cases as per their website.

2) I have switched job on EAD as per AC21 after 180 days..and also got my EAD renewed and Advanced parole approved.

My question is I am single right now and I am planning to get married in India soon. What are options for getting her here : --

I clearly understand that I should be married before my 485 is approved

1) Do I file for I-824 after immediately getting married or after 485 approval.
2) How much I-824 takes usually @ CSC from filing (approx) ?
3) What is the provision of sending papers (I-140) directly to Indian Embassy ?
3) Is it ok to switch to H1B at this stage..(i.e only if my employer agrees).
4) What are my other options ?

If somebody has some particular knowledge in this..I will really appreciating writing here or you can send ur phone... I can call you

thanks a million...

I-824 now takes 1.5 years in Texas after 485's approval :-(
I still wonder if it is the same for all types of I-824's or not. The form is too generic.

sambats said:
1) Do I file for I-824 after immediately getting married or after 485 approval.

You can try to file the I-824 immediately after getting married, and ask that CSC *not* ajudicate it until your I-485 is ajudicated. There is not guarantee that this will work. If CSC rejects your I-824, you'll need to wait until the I-485 is approved.

there is a place on I-824 for the aprroval date of I-485, so filing immediately may not be an option. Or?

Yes I-824 is for approved cases only. But here RealCanadian is suggesting you give a shot.

It is a big question, actually, whether to put a "suggested" approval date of 485 and go ahead and file it while 485 is still pending, or simply wait until 485 is approved and then file 824.
How would you suggest filing 824, what to put on the form?

Dweller said:
It is a big question, actually, whether to put a "suggested" approval date of 485 and go ahead and file it while 485 is still pending, or simply wait until 485 is approved and then file 824. How would you suggest filing 824, what to put on the form?

If the I-485 is not approved, don't put in a date.

The cover letter here is the key. You need to mention that the I-485 is not approved, that the I-824 should be placed with the I-485 file and ajudicated at the same time. Don't be diplomatic - put this in big bold letters and cross all of your fingers and toes.