Anyone with a lawsuit against USCIS or thinking about a lawsuit (Merged)

Lazycis, thank you so much.
I just came home from the court. I filed my WOM. I got summons. I asked the clerk what I should do as a next step, but she did not say anything.

Please, could you help me:

1. I have summons now, what will I do?
2. On the back side of the sommons there is "return of service" part. I do not know what I should write there? IS there any clue? Am I going to fill it or not?
3. As some of you know from past post, I am in PA. (I will serve a sommon for each defendant); but to whom I will sent the sommon; I mean I am going to send it US District attorney directly or any specific part of the attorney's office? What sould I write at the envelope?

4. Is there anything to do after case filed and sommons are in hand?

Your advices will be appreciated.
Thank you so much?

Last edited by a moderator:
Summons

Greenlife1:

Did Court stamped and signed your Summons? Make copies of the summons and mail certifed mail return receipt requested to all the defendants. Each defendant will get summon with their name on the summon along with copy of your complaint. Make sure you keep copies of the summons for yourself.

Once you get the certified letter receipt card (green in color) back from the post office which will tell you that you have served the defendants then fill the back part of the summon and sent it certifed mail (copy of the summon with return of service page filled and a copy of green receipt card) to court.

PA court does not accept USPS tracking confirmation from the USPS website.

PA court serves the summons to US District Attornery general on their own. You don't serve local US district attorney office. You serve via mail to all the defendants in Washington DC and Vermont. You should call court tomorrow and ask them about this and you might get an answer. Court will serve local us attorney on your behalf.

Hope this helps.

I just came home from the court. I filed my WOM. I got summons. I asked the clerk what I should do as a next step, but she did not say anything.

2. On the back side of the sommons there is "return of service" part. I do not know what I should write there? IS there any clue? Am I going to fill it or not?
3. As some of you know from past post, I am in PA. (I will serve a sommon for each defendant); but to whom I will sent the sommon; I mean I am going to send it US District attorney directly or any specific part of the attorney's office? What sould I write at the envelope?

Thank you so much?

Saral; thank you so much. I really appreciate you.
Yes, the court stamped and signed my summons. I will serve the defendants. Moreover, I read in the court webpages that I must also send the summon's copies and complaint to Us District attorney office too. Whether PA court serves the summons to US District Attornery on their own or not, I decided to send the copies of the summons and complaint to the attorney's office too.
Thank you again.

Guys, I need your help. Please Advise

I filed WOM on Friday 7/17/2009. I recieved email from USCIS about both my case and my wife's I485 cases as follows....
"This case has been sent to our local office for processing

On July 22, 2009, we transferred this case to our NEW YORK, NY location for additional processing. You will be notified by mail when a decision is made, or if the office needs something from you. If you move while this case is pending, call customer service. We process cases in the order we receive them. You can use our processing dates to estimate when this case will be done. This case has been sent to our NEW YORK, NY location. Follow the link below to check processing dates. You can also receive automatic e-mail updates as we process your case. Just follow the link below to register."

What does this mean?

NIW-WOM; I hope that you are going to get your green cards soon. As you and your wife, my wife and I filed WOM today. I think your prayer was answered. Please keep us also in your prayers.
For you and other friends:
I have one more question: Is there anything to do after filing and serving? Is there any way to track our civil case via internet?
Thank you...

Hi, lazycis. Per your advice, I asked the appeal court if they could consolidate the two appeals, the clerk said I could file a motion to request for consolidation but I will need to talk to the counsel of the opposite party (the AUSA) to get their consent to do so. Is this necessary? Would you please see the details in my email and advise? Thanks very much...

Greenlife1, thanks for your wishes.

Lazycis, Jefkom, et. al.
Could you please tell me why the case got transferred to NYC office? What does that mean? Did you see such a thing before?

Thank you so much?

Make a copy of the original summons and serve copies to defendant. You will fill return of service section on original summuns when you get usps receipts. You then file original summons with the court clerk.

When you serve upon DA, write "Attn: Civil Division" followed by DA's name and address.

Greenlife1, thanks for your wishes.

Lazycis, Jefkom, et. al.
Could you please tell me why the case got transferred to NYC office? What does that mean? Did you see such a thing before?

This usually means that they want to invite you for an interview.

Lazycis
Interview means that they can not decide in 60 days deadline. right?!
I heard that EB2-NIW does not have interview. Why they are doing interview?!

Lazycis
Interview means that they can not decide in 60 days deadline. right?!
I heard that EB2-NIW does not have interview. Why they are doing interview?!

They may ask you to bring some documents. Sometimes they want to see the originals of documents submitted with I-485 (i.e. passport or birth certificate). I do not think you have anything to worry about. One thing is for sure - they started working on your case.

Lazycis: First of all, you are really helpfull friend. Thank you so much.
Second, I am confused. You say "Make copy of the original summons and serve copies to defendant" Others say, I have to serve the original summons and keep copies." If I did not understand wrong, you say "keep originals, send copies to the defendants" Which is good? I am waiting your answer to send documents. Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lazycis: First of all, you are really helpfull friend. Thank you so much.
Second, I am confused. You say "Make copy of the original summons and serve copies to defendant" Others say, I have to serve the original summons and keep copies." If I did not understand wrong, you say "keep originals, send copies to the defendants" Which is good? I am waiting your answer to send documents. Thank you.

Greenlife1
Your original summons does not have the address of any defendant right?
You should keep the original summon (the one that has court stamp), make copies of the summon and write each defendant's name and address on the one copy.
After you mail the summon (copy not original) + complaint to each defendant, when you receive the return receipts, make a copy of the return receipt and attach it to original summons.

Make sure you serve one summon for each defendant. You also need to serve summon to your local district attorney.

After you received all return receipts, you should give the original summon + copy of the return receipts + copy of the certified mail receipts to the court.

This is the process in Southern District of New York.

Please let me know if you have any concern/question.

Niw-WOM, thank you.
My original summons did not have the address of any defendant but after I got it, I tought I would send the originals, so I wrote the address on them. Then, I made copies.

Now, I will send the copies not originals to defendant. However, at the original I wrote address and I will send them to the court? I am wondering whether it is problem to be written addresses on them or it is okey?

Thank you again.

Greeglife1,

I do not know the answer to your question. When I talked to Pro Se office, they just wanted to make sure I return the original summons to them. That was their only concern. Lazycis, Jefkom, et. al. might be able to answer this question, better.

Good luck in your WOM process....
Which state are you in?

I am in Pennsylvania. I called clerk's office. Deputy clerk said I should send the originals to defendants. He also added he did not know exactly. I made it long but I am really confused.

Niw-WOM, thank you.
My original summons did not have the address of any defendant but after I got it, I tought I would send the originals, so I wrote the address on them. Then, I made copies.

Now, I will send the copies not originals to defendant. However, at the original I wrote address and I will send them to the court? I am wondering whether it is problem to be written addresses on them or it is okey?

Thank you again.

It's OK to handwrite on those. Keep original summons and send the copies.
Overall, do not be afraid to make a mistake in a court filing. This is not your tax return :)
You can serve the original summons if you serve in person. When you serve by mail, send copies.

greenlife1, do not worry too much about this. I've seen people sending copies and I've seen people sending originals with the same success rate. It's more important that you send a copy of complaint and summons properly (request return receipts, certified mail) to all defendants, US AG and local DA. I do think the proper way is to send a copy as you have to return executed original summons to the court. When you serve in person, you keep the summon so it's OK to use original summon. You can serve DA in person to speed up the process.

Lazycis, niw-wom, saral and other friends.
Thank you all. I just came from post office and I sent my summons. Now, I need your prayers. I will post if I get any news.