Anyone with a lawsuit against USCIS or thinking about a lawsuit (Merged)

Meter08,

You feel all of this forum members proud; you are the Man :) Just hang in there and you will finish it soon...

I just came back from the case management conference about 2 hours ago.

When I arrived the court house, I saw the AUSA and her assistant(a certified law student) walked into the court room before me(I guessed that). After I signed in with the clerk , the AUSA greeted me and introduced herself(she probably heard my conversation with the clerk). She was polite and nice. She told me what I should say after our case was called. She also said it's unusual to still have a case management conference after the case has evolved this far.

After my case was called, we(AUSA, the law student and I) walked to the front of the court room. We introduced ourselves first. The judge was nice too. The law student told the judge that my NC had been cleared and an interview had been schedule for 8/14. Then the judge asked me if I wanted to say thing(seemed to ask me if was happy with it), I told the judge that my original pray was to have my application adjudicated and that hadn't happened yet, I wanted a time line when USCIS could adjudicate my case. Because I also filed a motion to have my MSJ heard without a hearing, after some explanations general rule 61, the judge asked the AUSA to file cross-MSJ by 8/15/08(which is one day after my N-400 interview) and I file a reply by 8/22/08. We both agreed with that. The judge also granted my motion to have my MSJ heard on the papers hence vacated the hearing set for 8/15/08.

After we walked outside the courtroom, I had a chat with the AUSA. She said it's possible that USCIS adjudicates my case right after the interview. And it's also possible for USCIS to schedule the oath ceremony on the spot(if someone dropped off from his/her scheduled ceremony). I hope the AUSA will press USCIS to adjudicate my case and schedule the oath ceremony expeditiously. That way they can have my case dismissed without filing the cross-MSJ.

It's quite an experience. All the people were very nice and polite. I was a little bit nervous in the beginning but calmed down quickly. The judge did give me ample time to make statements and explain things, he also asked our opinions before his ruling.

I will start preparing my interview which is set for 8/14. Hope I will some good news at the interview.

BTW, I did wear suit based on jefkorn's recommendation. thanks, jefkorn!

While going thru the wiki, there is one point that I am not 100% sure what it means. It says that "Local US Attorney gets a copy of complaint and a copy of summons for each defendant" is that mean I need to give the Local US Attorney 4 copies if I have 4 defendants?
In my district(MA), I served only one copy of the Complaint, Exhibits, motion to efile(not everyone has to do this but I wanted to be able to electronically file any subsequent papers) and summons only for US Attorney's office. Typically one AUSA represents all Defendants (CIS,DHS, FBI or DOS) (essentially Govt.). Read through your local rules on Serving and of course you can ask Pro Se clerk at your court. Do keep in mind that the clerk may not have most accurate information so may give you incorrect information inadvertently.
Also, is there any actual case WOM for N400 that I can refer to in preparing my WOM?
Examples of N-400 with interview and without interview at http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/FBI_name_check#Example_document_for_pending_Naturalization_.28N-400.29

Also search the current thread for N-400 or Naturalization and for sample complaints or plaintiff's opposition to MTD.

1447(b) Question

Lazycis and others,

In the “Prayer For Relief” section of my 1447(b) suit if I ask for “Provide a de novo hearing and conduct the Plaintiff’s oath of allegiance in the court if the court finds that Plaintiff fulfilled all the statutory requirements of the United States Citizenship” ONLY and didn’t mention to “remand the matter back to USCIS for adjudication” then how the court will act. What I meant if the Judge doesn’t like to get me Oath then will he dismiss the case or else? Will this dismissal be with or without prejudice? Please explain as this is a grey area…

OK-Boy

Notice of Intent to Deny I-485 - URGENT HELP!

Hello folks,

We received notice of intent to deny our I-485 petition a few days ago (marriage-based I-130 & I-485). The basis they used were basically two, which are below, with my comments (see how ridiculous they are):

1. When I first came into the country, I, ignorantly, at the advice of some folks around me, went to a nearby state to get a driver's license, because it was easier. I went with a friend of mine, who let me use his car and address (don't even know where he is now). To be honest, I didn't even know it was wrong until the officer was questioning me extensively during the interview. The CIS says it was a misdemeanor that I used a "false" address and obtained license from another state while living in a different state.

2. Around the same time, I went to visit my aunt in another state for a few weeks during my school summer break for 2-3 weeks; happened to buy a car, and MAY have registered it under my aunt's address. (I still don't remember if I did or not and I told the officer that). So they used it against me, saying that I again used a false address and didn't report it with an AR-11.

And that's it! I have never ever been out of status, never committed a single crime, etc. They have given me 30 days to file a rebuttal. They said they considered "family unity" as a positive factor, but found it to be outweighed by these negative factors (unbelievable and absurd, huh?).

Question is:
1. I am preparing for this rebuttal - what else should I do? Any ideas on what to include in it?
2. If I do get denied, what should I do? Our I-130 is not approved yet either. Any way to appeal?
3. Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks everyone.

How many pages would be good to submit for my motion for argument and request hearing? Do I need to attach the documents proof in this motion? Or just bring to the court, if hearing is granted.

I wrote 20 pages (not including proof doc yet), I'm afraid it's too long that annoys the judge... I can't find such regulation in local rules. Thanks!

Hey, toolong2,

In my district, it is 15 pages without exhibits and supporting documents. If you want to file something longer than the required from local rules, you need to file leave to the court (ask permission from the court) to do that. You can call the clerk's office and ask them about the restriction on the documents length.

How many pages would be good to submit for my motion for argument and request hearing? Do I need to attach the documents proof in this motion? Or just bring to the court, if hearing is granted.

I wrote 20 pages (not including proof doc yet), I'm afraid it's too long that annoys the judge... I can't find such regulation in local rules. Thanks!

For those who have been in the court either for hearing or summary judgement or whatever reason, did you bring any documentation as proof for argument, or those doc have been already filed and no need to bring any in person? Thanks.

In my district the limit is 20 pages excluding the exhibits. Nothing in my local rules alludes to what needs to be done if the pleading exceeds the limit except asking for leave of court.
When I checked with pro se clerk, he directed me to Attorney's guide but it didn't have anything about what if pleading exceeds 20 pages. Should I use a different format like Table of Contents, Table of Cases etc. You do need to file a leave of court to file paper in excess of 20 pages.

Not sure if a lengthy albeit well-written and well-pleaded motion will annoy the judge or not?

Grinberg Appeal in 11th circuit Court of Appeals?

Has Grinberg v. Swacina appeal (Case No. 07-11594-EE) been finalized?
I see following appearing under Adverse Decision at http://www.ailf.org/lac/clearinghouse_mandamus.shtml

Grinberg v. Swacina, 2007 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 19684 (S.D. Fla. 2007), vacated, Order on Appellant's Mot. to Vacate Dist. Ct. Order (11th Cir. June 19, 2008).

I couldn't locate the Order from 11th circuit court of appeals

What's the order? Is it favorable?

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok I found it:

"..we do not think that defendants' delay in addressing plaintiffs' petition can be fairly characterized as a "judgment." The term judgment is not defined in the INA, see 8 U.S.C. § 1001, so we understand it to be used in its everyday sense. The OED offers many definitions for judgment(see footnote 2), but the two most relevant here are "[t]he pronouncing of a deliberate opinion upon a person or thing" and "[t]he formation of an opinion or notion concerning something by exercising the mind upon it."(see footnote 3) Certainly, defendants have not pronounced a deliberate opinion in relation to plaintiffs' applications and we have no reason to believe that they have formed an opinion or notion. Further, Section 1252(a)(2)(B)(i) only prohibits our review of a "judgment regarding the granting of relief." Because it does not appear that defendants have made any judgment regarding the granting of relief, Section 1252(a)(2)(B)(i) by its terms does not apply." See Han Cao v. Upchurch, 496 F. Supp. 2d 569, 572 (E.D. Pa. 2007).

footnote 2: This is unsurprising for a word that has been in recorded use since the mid-13th century.
footnote 3: See VIII The Oxford English Dictionary 294, defs. 6 and 7.a. (2d ed. 1989).
There was a court decision saying something on the lines of "in the long history of law the judgment has not been defined as inaction or taking no action, however you define it it does not mean taking no action". It was essentially attacking Defendant's argument about Attorney General's judgment under 8 U.S.C. § 1252(a)(2)(B)(i). I remember reading it but can't find it now. I may have downloaded that from www.bibdaily.com or this forum.
I don't remember the exact wording.

Does anyone know what opinion was that?

Last edited by a moderator:
Meter08,

You feel all of this forum members proud; you are the Man :) Just hang in there and you will finish it soon...

Lazycis, et al

Could someone help answer these:
1. How do I find out the name of the AUSA assigned to my case?
2. If the AUSA asks for an extension (first one) - is there a particular format in which the plaintiff needs to reply to this request?

1. How do I find out the name of the AUSA assigned to my case?
After you serve/deliver the Summons to United States Attorney's(USA) Office, one of his/her assistants AUSA will be file a notice of representation with the court in your case. You can either register with PACER and then logon to your Court's ECF (or PACER) website and look at Docket Report or call the Pro Se clerk and ask about it. The AUSA assignment to the case can happen right the next day after you serve the summons or in a week or so. AFAIK, there isn't a hard and fast rule on how quick an AUSA will be assigned in your case.
2. If the AUSA asks for an extension (first one) - is there a particular format in which the plaintiff needs to reply to this request?
I'm myself looking for similar information. I vaguely remember from earlier discussion on the forum that even if the plaintiff denies the extension, court will grant it anyway.

Hi

What US Civit statute should I list under cause of action on JS44 for no interview naturalization WOM?

I listed 28 U.S.C. § 1361, 5 U.S.C. § 701 et seq. Is that enough?

Thanks

FOR WRIT IN THE NATURE
OF MANDAMUS AND DECLATORY JUDGEMENT

This Court has subject matter jurisdiction over this action under 5 U.S.C. § 1361 (Mandamus Act); and under 28 U.S.C. § 1331 (federal question jurisdiction) and under 5 U.S.C. §§ 555(b), 701 et seq. (Administrative Procedure Act “APA”); and under 28 U.S.C. § 2201 (Declaratory Judgment Act). This Court may grant relief pursuant to 28 U.S.C. §§ 1361, 1651, 2202 and 5 U.S.C. § 702.

Hi

What US Civit statute should I list under cause of action on JS44 for no interview naturalization WOM?

I listed 28 U.S.C. § 1361, 5 U.S.C. § 701 et seq. Is that enough?

Thanks

Hello every body , first of all let me start be saying i been reading this thread for over 2 years now and i saw so much info here , i think alot of lawerys they don't have that much info. second of all the great sotries about alot of great wins for so many members and how everyone here trying to reach out for others and help them out , that what gave me the power to go for my case as well.
here is my story with CIS: I filed my N-400 on 08/16/2006 , went for a fingers print on 10/24/2006 , and of course i was stucked in name check and througout the last 2 years i did every thing that i could from info passes , calls to customer service , letters to many officals in DHS and CIS , letters from my state Senator , and as always nothing happend .
ON 05/30/2008 I filed my WOM for N-400 (no interview) , served the AUSA and the other defendants and the reply due by 08/03/08 , and then i got a letter for second finger print on 07/14/08 , last week i called the AUSA for the first time and she knew who i was as soon as i told her my name , she said (i talked to CIS and i convince them to give you an interview in mid August , however your name check not clear yet and she is going to file MTD and she just waiting for the interview date ) i made it clear to her that i want CIS to adjudicate my application and it's very clear that's what i filed WOM , and i am willing to work with her to get the oath letter , and she clamied that she has no power over CIS or FBI to have them clear my name , since i have no problems what so ever with the law , she also said she will ask the judge to make ruling by the first week of Septmber. Today i recevied a letter from CIS for an interview on 08/12/08 which a good thing . and now here is my questions :
1- when she files MTD i am thinking of filing Discovery after i go through the interview and see if my name check is clear or not , because i don't want CIS to drag me from WOM to 1447 (b) , but can i file for Discovery even i didn't name FBI as one of the defendants ?? if so how can i file it ???
2- OR should i just respond for MTD and show the judge that i did every thing that i could but the delay from them and let the judge rule on the case ??? ( I did ask in my WOM prayer ( Enter an Order requiring Defendants to adjudicate Plaintiff ’s Application for Naturalization N -400 ;Grant such further relief as the Court deems just and proper .)
any adivce from all the experts friends out there it will be great , thank you very much for your help in advance .

FOR WRIT IN THE NATURE
OF MANDAMUS AND DECLATORY JUDGEMENT

This Court has subject matter jurisdiction over this action under 5 U.S.C. § 1361 (Mandamus Act); and under 28 U.S.C. § 1331 (federal question jurisdiction) and under 5 U.S.C. §§ 555(b), 701 et seq. (Administrative Procedure Act “APA”); and under 28 U.S.C. § 2201 (Declaratory Judgment Act). This Court may grant relief pursuant to 28 U.S.C. §§ 1361, 1651, 2202 and 5 U.S.C. § 702.

Ok-Boy,

my complaint has all these statutes. My question is about JS44. Should I list all of these in JS44? or are just 2/3 statues fine?

I-1485 approval without security check.

Guys,
I remember an interoffice memorandum was released by USCIS director which stated that if certain petitions are pending for more than 180 days due to "security check", those will be adjudicated by the USCIS.

I am looking for that memorandum because I want to use that in WOM as one of the exhibit....could anyone provide a link to that memorandum or upload it here please ??

Highly appreciate it....

gctarget06, here you go.

http://www.uscis.gov/files/pressrelease/DOC017.PDF

Guys,
I remember an interoffice memorandum was released by USCIS director which stated that if certain petitions are pending for more than 180 days due to "security check", those will be adjudicated by the USCIS.

I am looking for that memorandum because I want to use that in WOM as one of the exhibit....could anyone provide a link to that memorandum or upload it here please ??

Highly appreciate it....

I would certainly list the 5 U.S.C. § 1361 (Mandamus Act), 28 U.S.C. § 1331 (federal question jurisdiction) and 5 U.S.C. §§ 555(b), 701 et seq. (Administrative Procedure Act “APA”) and if space permits you can also add more as mentioned by Ok-boy above.

This is more for court's record than for the Judge' to rule on. Your Complaint is the main document.

Ok-Boy,

my complaint has all these statutes. My question is about JS44. Should I list all of these in JS44? or are just 2/3 statues fine?

I've a few questions before i file my WOM.

1. Name on the top like aaa V. bbb: Does it have to be complete name or can it be just last name like Doe Vs. Chertoff ....?
2. Is it a good idea to have separate phone# and email id for lawsuit?
3. Should I ask Judge to compel USCIS to expedite oath or should just focus on adjudication of the application?

Thanks