Anyone with a lawsuit against USCIS or thinking about a lawsuit (Merged)

Full name of Plaintiff as well Defandants...
I wouldn't bother; why?
I would stress say both...

Goodluck!

I've a few questions before i file my WOM.

1. Name on the top like aaa V. bbb: Does it have to be complete name or can it be just last name like Doe Vs. Chertoff ....?
2. Is it a good idea to have separate phone# and email id for lawsuit?
3. Should I ask Judge to compel USCIS to expedite oath or should just focus on adjudication of the application?

Thanks

1. Name on the top like aaa V. bbb: Does it have to be complete name or can it be just last name like Doe Vs. Chertoff ....?
In the initial Complaint use the complete names. Later when you have a case number, you can use the short form Doe v. Chertoff et al. (et. al means others). The convention is to follow the sequence of named Defendants. If in your list you named Chertoff first, you will say Doe v. Chertoff and include the rest with "et al.". If you had ordered them such that Mueller is the first named defendant, you will use Doe v. Mueller et al
2. Is it a good idea to have separate phone# and email id for lawsuit?
I don't see any harm but don't go shopping for a new phone connection.
3. Should I ask Judge to compel USCIS to expedite oath or should just focus on adjudication of the application?
Ask for more so you will have options.

updates: Tomorrow I will request a hearing, I am not confident at all if the judge will be kind enough to allow a hearing or not.

In all the cases I looked, only when there's MTD or MSJ did the judge order the hearing. i.e. judge initiated hearing, instead of responded to any parties.

I have not seen any judge ordered a hearing simply because plaintiff requested so. I do not think I'll be the luck one, but I will request one anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi WOM Gurus,

I have a few questions about serving complaint.

Do I serve both pages of AO440? if yes, how do I fill 2nd page?

I'll be mailing the complaint so which option do I choose?

here is the document for quick reference...

I will have my interview on 8/14. Can any WOMERS share your interview experience? I am just worried that the interview officer might give me a hard time and ask all kinds of questions/documents since I sued them. In the IL, it only asks to bring my GC, passport and drivers license(I knew I am supposed to bring a lot more documents besides the ones they asked in the IL).

Hi WOM Gurus,

I only served the first page of AO440.

I didn't use the second page of AO440 at all. I just used certificate of service and started that I served the who and who with what a listed documents. I used certified mail to send the summon so I listed the tracking numbers too.

Don't worry, USCIS is a govt. agency notta mafia. Be prepare for everything but don't expect anything off way. If you are too worried then take an attorney with you like what I did. But, I wouldn't highly recommend that either. However, take all the papers in case they ask something extra.

I will have my interview on 8/14. Can any WOMERS share your interview experience? I am just worried that the interview officer might give me a hard time and ask all kinds of questions/documents since I sued them. In the IL, it only asks to bring my GC, passport and drivers license(I knew I am supposed to bring a lot more documents besides the ones they asked in the IL).

Check the local rules about sending the original of Summons vs copy. you can send both pages to Defendants if you you want and you can leave the second page blank or you may even just send the first page and when it's delivered(Defendants have been served), fill up the second page(Certificate of Service) and file it back with the court (copy or original depending on the local rules) BOTH pages. Court just wants to make sure that you served the Defendants within 120 days of filing the Complaint.
Hi WOM Gurus,

Hello every body , first of all let me start be saying i been reading this thread for over 2 years now and i saw so much info here , i think alot of lawerys they don't have that much info. second of all the great sotries about alot of great wins for so many members and how everyone here trying to reach out for others and help them out , that what gave me the power to go for my case as well.
here is my story with CIS: I filed my N-400 on 08/16/2006 , went for a fingers print on 10/24/2006 , and of course i was stucked in name check and througout the last 2 years i did every thing that i could from info passes , calls to customer service , letters to many officals in DHS and CIS , letters from my state Senator , and as always nothing happend .
ON 05/30/2008 I filed my WOM for N-400 (no interview) , served the AUSA and the other defendants and the reply due by 08/03/08 , and then i got a letter for second finger print on 07/14/08 , last week i called the AUSA for the first time and she knew who i was as soon as i told her my name , she said (i talked to CIS and i convince them to give you an interview in mid August , however your name check not clear yet and she is going to file MTD and she just waiting for the interview date ) i made it clear to her that i want CIS to adjudicate my application and it's very clear that's what i filed WOM , and i am willing to work with her to get the oath letter , and she clamied that she has no power over CIS or FBI to have them clear my name , since i have no problems what so ever with the law , she also said she will ask the judge to make ruling by the first week of Septmber. Today i recevied a letter from CIS for an interview on 08/12/08 which a good thing . and now here is my questions :
1- when she files MTD i am thinking of filing Discovery after i go through the interview and see if my name check is clear or not , because i don't want CIS to drag me from WOM to 1447 (b) , but can i file for Discovery even i didn't name FBI as one of the defendants ?? if so how can i file it ???
2- OR should i just respond for MTD and show the judge that i did every thing that i could but the delay from them and let the judge rule on the case ??? ( I did ask in my WOM prayer ( Enter an Order requiring Defendants to adjudicate Plaintiff ’s Application for Naturalization N -400 ;Grant such further relief as the Court deems just and proper .)
any adivce from all the experts friends out there it will be great , thank you very much for your help in advance .

You should ask the AUSA that since you got an interview you are ready to file a mutual extension to grant defendants additional time to adjudicate. If she agrees, just file a motion to suspend proceedings temporarily with the court since USCIS has initaiated some action on the adjuducation. Of course put a time lime like 6 weeks so that if you dont get oath leter in 6 weeks you can file a another motion for resume proceedings.

1447(b)

Lazycis and others,

When I mention the similar (1447b) cases of my State (different districts) in the ARGUMENTS section of my complaint; most of them were voluntarily dismissed by the Plaintiff as he/she got the Citizenship. Can I mention it in my Complaint, assuming it would not offend either AUSA or Judge. Please explain….

I think the USCIS is getting close to mafia and be very careful during the interview. Don't answer questions if you don't know the answer. You can tell them that you don't remember if you are not sure if it is facts. I know a couples of guys got denied on their application partially because they filed lawsuit against USCIS. For one guy, he gave a slightly different address in the second interview and it was an honest mistake. His application was denied because of that.
There is the other guy who got divorced with his wife. And it is ridiculous that the USCIS accused him for bad moral character because his wife asked the court to issure a protective order although he has no history or record to abuse his wife. But the federal court reversed the USCIS' decision because the court found that the USCIS doesn't have sufficient evidence to prove the appliant has bad moral character.
I also read this news report on New Yorks' time. An green card applicant was sexusally assaulted in federal building by the immigration officer during an interview. I am not sure even mafia can do that. So be prepared!

Don't worry, USCIS is a govt. agency notta mafia. Be prepare for everything but don't expect anything off way. If you are too worried then take an attorney with you like what I did. But, I wouldn't highly recommend that either. However, take all the papers in case they ask something extra.

Template for legal pleading with vertical borders and line numbers

Although the questions had been answered. I found the template for this format online at Microsoft's website. Here it is:

"Pleading form with 28 lines"
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/templates/TC060870011033.aspx?pid=CT101481321033&WT.mc_id=42

Find more templates (including more Legal templates) at http://office.microsoft.com/templates

2. Format question, N. CA district seems to have a number||(text)| format, how do I get it from word? (i know it sounds stupid, but pls help as I am learning to crawl on this thread).

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with you Wommei up to some extend. I have a clean case but I went with an attorney in my IV as I threatened to file suit before IV. I'm still waiting for the OL after 3 months and will definitely file 1447(b) after 120 days as Pro Se...

I think the USCIS is getting close to mafia and be very careful during the interview. Don't answer questions if you don't know the answer. You can tell them that you don't remember if you are not sure if it is facts. I know a couples of guys got denied on their application partially because they filed lawsuit against USCIS. For one guy, he gave a slightly different address in the second interview and it was an honest mistake. His application was denied because of that.
There is the other guy who got divorced with his wife. And it is ridiculous that the USCIS accused him for bad moral character because his wife asked the court to issure a protective order although he has no history or record to abuse his wife. But the federal court reversed the USCIS' decision because the court found that the USCIS doesn't have sufficient evidence to prove the appliant has bad moral character.
I also read this news report on New Yorks' time. An green card applicant was sexusally assaulted in federal building by the immigration officer during an interview. I am not sure even mafia can do that. So be prepared!

Ok-Boy

Ok-Boy,

I hope you can get the OL before you file any lawsuit to save all the hassles. It is probably a good idea to go with an attorney too. :)

I agree with you Wommei up to some extend. I have a clean case but I went with an attorney in my IV as I threatened to file suit before IV. I'm still waiting for the OL after 3 months and will definitely file 1447(b) after 120 days as Pro Se...

I think it's ok both ways but you may want to have one for each Defendants for sake of clarity. Keeping them together doesn't buy you much as you will have to send them to all Defendants anyway and court clerk won't mind stamping a few of them. Moreover, on the first page on the summons form, you probably won't have enough space to cram all Defendants in there.
A question about summons.

Should I get saperate summon for every defendant or just one summon having all defendants listed on it?

in ND CAL, You just need to prepare one summon which lists all the defendants in the following format:

----------------------
Joe v. Chertoff, et al

To: Michael Chertoff et al.
----------------------

The clerk will stamp this summon, then you make copies and send the same summon to each individual defendant plus AUSA.

Note, initially I prepared separate summon for each defendant and the clerk wouldn't stamp it for me.

A question about summons.

Should I get saperate summon for every defendant or just one summon having all defendants listed on it?

Well, my court allows both methods. I tried to ask with my Clerk for sending a separate summon to AUSA but he refused to reply. I looked into the civil suit procedure but couldn't find the answer. I think that we should send the copy of complaint plus the copy of summons (all defandants) to AUSA w/o having a separate summon for him. This is a grey area and need more explanation...

in ND CAL, You just need to prepare one summon which lists all the defendants in the following format:

----------------------
Joe v. Chertoff, et al

----------------------

The clerk will stamp this summon, then you make copies and send the same summon to each individual defendant plus AUSA.

Note, initially I prepared separate summon for each defendant and the clerk wouldn't stamp it for me.

meteor8,

it must be dependent on the clerk or the court site in ND CAL. Clerk was ok either way for me.

----------------------
Joe v. Chertoff, et al

----------------------