Anyone with a lawsuit against USCIS or thinking about a lawsuit (Merged)

Can a pro se petitioner redact private information in the exhibits? For instance, alien #, home addresses, etc., can we simply put a black line through this information since the suit will become a part of the public record?

Please advise

Dear All,

I have a pro se WOM (I485) case that was filed in Oct 2006. AUSA filed MTD in Feb after two extensions. Since then, the court has not made any decision on the case including MTD. Here I was wondering what I can do to push the court to make a decision on the WOM case. Your advice is highly appreciated.

Thank you. Have a good Sunday.

Does "in process" really mean it is in process ?

In response to my letter to First Lady, the FBI replied that my name check ( which is pending for 15 months ) is in "process" . Does it mean that an analyst took a look at the hits and working on it ? Or , is it that the application is sitting in the waiting list and that also part of "process", hence FBI saying it is "in process" ?!

gc_mania,

Don't get confused with it; that's their typical response to everyone and I have gotten that for about 3-4 times already. Either keep waiting or file WOM to fight for your rights.

In response to my letter to First Lady, the FBI replied that my name check ( which is pending for 15 months ) is in "process" . Does it mean that an analyst took a look at the hits and working on it ? Or , is it that the application is sitting in the waiting list and that also part of "process", hence FBI saying it is "in process" ?!

I received my green card yesterday. So I want to dismiss my case. Anyone has the sample letter for dismissing the cases?
Thank you very much.

A question about service to US AG

I am going to send out a complaint against Michael Chertoff, Emilio Gonzales, Evelyn Upchurch, Peter D. Keisler, and Robert Mueller. I understand that I need to send each defendant a copy of the complaint and summon. I should also send a copy to my local US attorney.

What I am not so sure is about US Attorney General. According to http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/FBI_name_check, I need to send a copy to US Attorney General (AG) in Washington DC.

Since AG is already a defendant and I am going to send a copy to AG as a defendant, should I follow the procedure strictly and send an extra copy to AG?

Thanks a lot.

Dear All,

I have a pro se WOM (I485) case that was filed in Oct 2006. AUSA filed MTD in Feb after two extensions. Since then, the court has not made any decision on the case including MTD. Here I was wondering what I can do to push the court to make a decision on the WOM case. Your advice is highly appreciated.

Thank you. Have a good Sunday.

Send a request for documents (discovery request) to your AUSA (use template posted on page 464). Prepare MSJ in the meantime. After you get a response, file MSJ.

Can a pro se petitioner redact private information in the exhibits? For instance, alien #, home addresses, etc., can we simply put a black line through this information since the suit will become a part of the public record?

I think you can do it before you file a complaint. After it is filed, you can file a motion to seal to do the same. I've seen a case, however, were the similar motion was denied and the judge reasoned that A# and home address is not really a sensitive information.

Recent case in Maryland

First, Congratulations to people recent being approved of a Green Card ApplicationS! This is great relief!

A most recent case I noticed in Maryland's Northern District. Plaintiff Guo et al. v. Chertoff et al. (1:07-cv-02650-BEL) filed a WOM on 09/28/07. As I know, the AUSA received the Complaint on Oct. 24, 2007. On Oct. 30, 2007, AUSA filed MTD indicated his I-485 has been approved by USCIS (approval notice attached in the MTD). It is a big surprise to me since Maryland is such an arrogant district for AOS case.

I also contacted my AUSA about my case and told him about Guo case. He was very unfreindly and refused to do anything for me.

I think you can do it before you file a complaint. After it is filed, you can file a motion to seal to do the same. I've seen a case, however, were the similar motion was denied and the judge reasoned that A# and home address is not really a sensitive information.

So, I can simply mark out the confidential info and submit the case? Do I have to provide any explanation in the suit?

So, I can simply mark out the confidential info and submit the case? Do I have to provide any explanation in the suit?

You can do it for confidential info (SSNs, financial info, names of minor children). You cannot do it for you home address/phone number as the court needs to have that info on record anyway, so what's the point in redacting it?

You can do it for confidential info (SSNs, financial info, names of minor children). You cannot do it for you home address/phone number as the court needs to have that info on record anyway, so what's the point in redacting it?

You mentioned motion to seal above. What if I want to remain private and protect identity? Will motion to seal allow for maintaining privacy? Plus, with all of the ID theft cases around, wouldn't it be smart to hide address and A#?

Then you probably have to hire an attorney. How AUSA is going to serve you if s/he does not have your address? Again, you can ask judge to seal AUSA filings as well, but there is no guarantee a judge will agree with your reasoning. What is the risk in disclosing your A#?

Do I need to wait until the return receipts to file 2nd page of the summons form with the court? I have not yet gotten the return receipts (the green slip for certified mail) for most of the defendents. Only receipt for my local INS director. Can I use the status I printed out from the usps website? What if I don't get the return receipts?? I would appreciate any help/suggestions.

Here is my original message:
I got sick of waiting for my namecheck to be cleared. So I recently filed a lawsuit (pro se) using info posted on this web site. Thanks for all of your help!!

A certified letter w/ the complaint + summons form was sent out to
Emilio Gonzalez
Robert Mueller
Michael Chertoff, and
local USCIS director

A copy of the complaint was sent out to
local district US attorney general, and
Acting US attorney general.

Hopefully this will resolve quickly

Here are the dates:
10/12/2005: Applied for US citizenship
11/14/2005: Namecheck initiated by INS
2/23/2006: Passed interview but name check pending
5 infopass appts, 3 letters to INS inquiring about status and 10 letters sent to senators/congressman/Laura Bush etc etc later, the namecheck situation is still not resolved.
10/19/2007: Filed lawsuit.
10/23/2007: All certified letters sent out!!

Now the wait starts

Why some Marylanders are fiercely denied by courth on AOS(an opinion)

First, Congratulations to people recent being approved of a Green Card ApplicationS! This is great relief!

A most recent case I noticed in Maryland's Northern District. Plaintiff Guo et al. v. Chertoff et al. (1:07-cv-02650-BEL) filed a WOM on 09/28/07. As I know, the AUSA received the Complaint on Oct. 24, 2007. On Oct. 30, 2007, AUSA filed MTD indicated his I-485 has been approved by USCIS (approval notice attached in the MTD). It is a big surprise to me since Maryland is such an arrogant district for AOS case.

I also contacted my AUSA about my case and told him about Guo case. He was very unfreindly and refused to do anything for me.

An alternative opinion.
[Truth and untruth may have a lot of facets. This is just one of them]
People who write too many details of their ordeals and torture are denied for the liability reasons. If Court side with Plaintiffs, there might be a good support for success in future litigations [for punitive damages for example]. In Maryland, this issue seems carefully approached by Judges and Defendants [ie US District Attorney office].

I noticed that sometimes plainly, concisely stated cases gets moved to approval. It is not amount of torture, damage, human suffering, justice which is important. Money is. the fact that Maryland is Democratic State has nothing to do with it. One Senator does not help LEGAL immigrants at all [Barbara Mikulski office refuse to speak on this issue so far], while another contact USCIS for more than inquiry only after multiple altercations.

Liability is the first priority here.

Status Conference

I received a letter from the judge about scheduled status conference. What should I be expecting from this? Do I need to prepare anything?

Thanks a lot

Government lies

Hi people, I went to INS local office today to get the I-551 stamp in the passport.
Right at the entrance, there is a big sign:
"Writ of Mandamus or any other filing in federal court can not be the reasons for the expedite namecheck".
This is just damn lie! If they were honest, they would put a sign:
the reasons for expedite namecheck are the Writ of Mandamus or any other filing in federal court. And that would be 100% correct. Government is just lying.

Oskar, totally agree with you. There is currently crisis in lots of Govt Departments of this Great Country. DoJ and it's divisions (DHS/USCIS) are not the only ones.
Crisis is very deep so that blatant lies are not uncommon.
Department of Justice crisis affects ALL people of US not just LEGAL Immigrants.
A lot of hard working people in US do not realize the depth of crisis.