Anyone with a lawsuit against USCIS or thinking about a lawsuit (Merged)

Does any one know what is a ISIS? Never heard of that term at all. It seems that USCIS and the USA are working really hard together.

I suspect that s/he meant IBIS, not ISIS. The IBIS check is one of the three different components of the "full criminal background check".

The Interagency Border Inspection System (IBIS) Name Check— IBIS is a multi-agency effort with a central system that combines information from multiple agencies, databases and system interfaces to compile data relating to national security risks, public safety issues and other law enforcement concerns. USCIS can quickly check information from these multiple government agencies to determine if the information in the system affects the adjudication of the case. Results of an IBIS check are usually available immediately. In some cases, information found during an IBIS check will require further investigation. The IBIS check is not deemed completed until all eligibility issues arising from the initial system response are resolved.

(from http://usinfo.state.gov/gi/Archive/2006/May/04-878088.html)

I filed a Pro Se law suit against CIS, FBI, DHS, etc. in Sept. 2006 (District of Minnesota), got a Motion to Dismiss or Remand from the Defendants on January 26, 2007 (after granting them a 30-day extension of the deadline), filed a Memo in opposition to the MOD on February 22, 2007, and I'm now expecting a court hearing on the MOD on March 28, 2007. The AUSA told me he will not write any reply to my Opposition before the hearing.

I have spent lots of time and energy in learning about the relevant laws, regulations, and previous cases. The information and resources provided by members in this forum (particularly Paz) have been extremely helpful. I'm confident that the law is on my side, particularly because of an earlier success in a case filed in the same District Court of Minnesota (Mohamed v. Frazier), in which the Defendants withdrew their argument in the MOD and conceded that the Court has jurisdiction over the matter under 1447(b). The Court denied the Defendants' MOD, granted the Plaintiff's Motion for Summary Judgment, and further ordered the case to be remanded to USCIS, with instructions to resolve the Plaintiff's naturalization request within 30 days from the date of the order.

That said, I don't want to screw up at the Court hearing on March 28. I'm not confident enough to confront the judge or the AUSA because I'm not an expert in immigration laws. So I'm thinking about hiring a good lawyer to represent me. My questions are:

(1) Does anyone know the price in a case similar to mine?

(2) How do I find a good lawyer in Minnesota?

I called the lawyer who represented Mr. Mohamed, and he is willing to go to the Court hearing with me if I hire him. He charges $7500. Is this a reasonable price (given that he has won the case in Mohamed v. Frazier)? Does anyone know a good lawyer who may charge less or should I go for him?

Any help will be appreciated.

Z

Although I have no knowledge about attorneys in Minnesota or anywhere else, and have no clue if $7500 is reasonable or not; I would recommend you to make a detailed agreement with the lawyer who you are planning to hire and pay him the full amount only if the case will go in front of the judge. There is a good chance that in that case you wll win and you will become a prevailing party, entitled for attorney's fee and cost reimbursement. But, in my opinion, the chances are even higher that your case will be adjudicated before the court hearing (if you didn't have any previous problem with the law), so in this case you should not pay the full amount to the lawyer. This should be negociated up front when you hire him.

Last edited by a moderator:
Filed AOS Mandamus on 2/6/07. The judge ordered all defendants to respond within 20 days on 2/26/07. I have not heard anything since that date then.

The 20 days is probably a mistake. When you sue the government, they have 60 days to answer your complaint, unless in extraordinary circumstances the judge orders it differently. When the defendant is a civil party (i.e., not the US government), the time limit to answer the complaint is 20 days.

After six months pending with the 1447b case, eventually I got my case approved and oath scheduled. I would like to thank this incrediable forum and all the valuable members who contribute a lot.

I filed in early September 06 and already had three extensions. Before that, I felt so desperate until last Friday, I received an email from the AUSA and a phone call from USCIS today, informing me the good news.

For those who filed and expedite request sent before 12/21, don't worry. I think FBI is working on the backlog of the expedite cases and since there're no more automatic expedites, your name check will be completed soon.

For those who filed later than 12/21. You'll have to fight and eventually the victory will be yours.

Good luck everybody! :)

Congratulation to the happy ending.

Hi All,

Today I first read this discussion board and have to say that it is such a great site to lear about the whole WOM process. Last week I received AUSA's motion to dismiss my I485 WOM lawsuit after two extensions. Here is the timeline.

1. March 2005 EB2/NIW I140 submitted and approved in Sept 05
2. Sept 05 submitted I485
3. WOM late Oct 2006
4. late Dec 2006 AUSA asked for the first extension
5. Late Jan 2007 AUSA asked for the second extension
6. Late Feb 2007 AUSA filed a motion to dismiss

In early Feb I received a letter from FBI saying that my name check was completed on Jan 10 2007 and the result was forwarded to USCIS. From the recent USCIS testimony document supporting the motion to dismiss, USCIS claimed that it received the name check results on Jan 10 2007. USCIS said that it started the IBIS check on Feb 22 at the day when the US attorney filed a motion to dismiss.

My question is that why USCIS did not process my application after the name check completition. I was told that IBIS check is fairly quick. Why no progress on my application since Jan 10 2007? It seems that USCIS asked FBI to do my name check in early Nov, a few days after I filed WOM. Now I have to renew my H1B visa which expires at the end of March 2007.

Below are the major reasons AUSA wanted to dismiss my case. can someone offer some insight into fighting back? I have only one week to respond to the MTD. Thanks so much.

"Plaintiff's suit should be dismissed pursuant to Rules 12(b)(1) and 12(b)(6). This court lacks subject matter jurisdiction to adjudicate Plaintiff's claim because congress has divested the courts of jurisdiction over suits, including this one, that seek judicial review of a variety of immigration decisions or actions committeed to agency discretion. See 8 U.S.C. & 1252(a)(2)(B)(ii). Even in the absence of this jurisdictional bar, the Court lacks subject matter jurisdiction over Plaintiff's mandamus claim because he cannot show that he has a clear right to immediate adjudication or that Defendant has a clear, ministerial duty to act within any particular time frame. Both are prerequisites to this court exercising jurisdication under 28 U.S.C. & 1361. The court is also precluded from reviewing Plaintiff's APA claim because APA exempts from judicial review actions that are committed to agency discretion by law. 5 U.S.C. & 701(a)(2). Finally, dismissal on the ground of mootness as against the FBI is appropriate, because the FBI portions of Plaintiff's investigation have been completed. Accordingly, Defendant respectfully requests dismissal of this action pursuant to Rules 12(b)(1) and 12(b)(6)."

It is impossible to answer your question why USCIS didn't complete your petition after your name check was complete due to the lack of knowledge what was the result of your name check and to many other factors what we don't know. As a general procedure (I'm not implying that it is true also in your case), if the name check resulted in some potentially derogatory information, USCIS can and will conduct further investigations to decide if the information is or is not excluding the approval of the immigration benefit sought by the petitioner.

Let's hope that they simply were busy with many other applications and you will receive soon the famous 3 e-mails about the approval (does anybody have an idea why they are sending 3 e-mails?)

But in the meantime, you are a little late if you don't have already a draft version for your opposition. In the arguing their motion, I didn't see any unusual thing, so several oppositions posted on this forum which were from successful cases can help you to draft one. People who had to write oppositions to motions to dismiss in WOM lawsuits can help you with samples.

Hi, first thanks everyone in this great forum. I finally filed WOM for my I-485 on Feb. 28, 07.
Today, two days later(I haven't even got the return receipts), I got an email from USCIS saying that my I-485 application was transferred to Texas Service Center on March, 02, 2007.
Since my application has been in Vermont Service Center for the past three years, I put the director of Vermont center as one of the defendants.
Now, what should I do? I guess I need to notify the court about this change? Should I still keep the Vermont Center director as defendant? How would this development affect my case?
Your input will be greatly appreciated.

thanks,
mmz

I would call the court and ask them about this situation. In my opinion, you should not delete Vermont center's director as a defendent because this transfer happened only two days after you filed. But I would include the Texas service director as a new defendent, but please call the court. They can tell you better. Good luck. regards, dude

Thank DUDE12190 for your reply. I called the court today but they are not very helpful. Just told me I can amend the complaint if I want, and if I don't notify the court about the change, certainly the defendant will.
I think I will keep the Vermont center director, but not sure about adding Texas center director, since my 485 is just transfered there, I can't say it's been delayed in Texas.
Although my case is no longer in Vermont, but since I included USCIS director as defendant, would that be enough?
Any insight from the other gurus, PAZ, Wenlock...? Thanks!

Attached are three cases AUSA used to support her position. The MTD is quite long about 26 pages! I wish to get some help from people like PAZ and Wenlock. Thanks so much for this great web!

My ausa also gave Safadi case.
If you look closer all security checks there complete and based on results USCIS continues processing. For you probably security checks still pending.

discovery

i will either get some reply to my opposition of motion to dismiss or nothing.
In either case how do i start discovery?
Thanks

Paz, thank you for detailed answer!

You are totally right about necessity to "split hair" dealing with legal docs, so I appreciate you input even more for doing that! Also, I hope you wouldn't mind if I also do it here. (I really need to verify that my perception of things in the statues is correct. Because what I understood makes sense in itself and it is not that hard to follow its logic.)

I understand from your letter, that my appeal to "USCIS must consider N-400 within reasonable time" was not clear because from 1447(b) and 335 it talks about 120-day rule, and I should rewrite and clarify my framework accordingly.

My question though, is this: I actually combined Mandamus statues:
“With due regard for the convenience and necessity of the parties or their representatives and within a reasonable time, each agency shall proceed to conclude a matter presented to it.” 5 U.S.C. § 555(b);
and:
“The reviewing court shall—
(1) compel agency action unlawfully withheld or unreasonably delayed;..” 5 U.S.C. §706(1).

and 120-time limit because of this logic:

1) IF INA and USC are the laws USCIS must obide, and as long as an n-400 applicant satisfies all 3 conditions for Mandamus, USCIS HAS (-meaning, it is not a discretion), to act on his application and justify its delay in processing it. So within Mandamus sense, USCIS must do all that "within reasonable time". So what is your logic when you said:
"But more generally, there is no mandatory timeframe how long USCIS can conduct an investigation and do all the other things they do BEFORE they call you for an interview. This is the interval between filing the N-400 application and the interview." -Doesn't USCIS still owes a duty to perform under Mandamus?

2) What I do need to show in my framework is, (As I understand-), there is no discretion allowed to USCIS because statues use the verb "shall" describing officer's action (Section 335.3):
"The Service officer shall grant the application if the applicant has complied with all requirements for naturalization under this chapter... The applicant shall be notified that the application has been granted or denied...

So for naturalization cases there is no discretion at all, as specific time frame is given (120 days) and it's all mandatory. For AOS cases Mandamus does not provide discretion either, but its reference to "reasonable time" without specifically stating what is reasonable, is the place where defence can wiggle and try to get out of it. (that's what you said: "the only remaining argument to attack their (-USCIS) inaction is the mandamus act and APA and in this case you have to demonstrate the well known 3 things, which is more complicated, because what is unreasonable, is discretionary.")
Do you agree with this logic?

3) Finally the last thing used in class action is not logical: they quote: 8 U.S.C. § 1571(b):
“It is the sense of Congress that the processing of an immigration benefit application should be completed not later than 180 days after the initial filing of the application,..”They just argued before this point that adjudication is not a "benefit" but a "duty" owed to plaintiff and then proceed to use it (benefit) to streighten their argument (-I forgot to erase it from my framework). Also, you said:
"Unfortunately, this 180 day is not a mandatory time limit for any of the immigration benefits". Do you mean it's not mandatory because "“It is the sense of Congress"? In other words, Congress recommends it but not mandates it?

And very last but very important thing I stumbled upon: in several local 1447 cases I found a wrong statue quote: they quoted INA 336 (b). The Chapter 336 deals with DENIALS of naturalization applications. And there is no 336(b), but 336.9(b) which says:
336--HEARINGS ON DENIALS OF APPLICATIONS FOR NATURALIZATION
Sec. 336.9 Judicial review of denial determinations on applications for naturalization.(b) Filing a petition. Under these procedures an applicant shall ile a petition for review in the United States District Court having jurisdiction over his or her place of residence, in accordance with chapter 7 of title 5, United States Code, within a period of not more than 120 days after the Service's final determination. The petition for review shall be brought against the Immigration and Naturalization Service, and service of the petition for review shall be made upon the Attorney General of the United States, and upon the official in charge of the Service office where the hearing was held pursuant to Sec. 336.2. I found this misquote it three filed 1447(b) cases. They should have quoted sec. 335.3(a) (above). I was puzzled by it until I finally found the right part as I was studying the cases. It's a lesson for us to never take even a filed case for granted, but check and recheck before filing our cases!

Thank you very much again! I don't mean to be nit-picking but I really need to clarify it. I think for the law it would help if instead of precedents it was based on math-like precision. (like, if "reasonable time" was defined specifically for these cases how much time would it save!) Too bad it's not possible in most cases.

Shvili

As I see it, there is one main source for the difference between your interpretation and mine. Although the problem is only 'academic' in your husband's case, because as you wrote, he already had his interview, it is still worth to clarify this for the benefit of others who may want to use your document.

You state that "4) USCIS must process these applications within reasonable and specified time". I believe that you are implicitely think about the phase AFTER the interview. For that phase it is true: according to 1447(b) USCIS has 120 days to adjudicate the application, after that applicant can file a complaint in the district court where s/he resides for a judiciar review.

But more generally, there is no mandatory timeframe how long USCIS can conduct an investigation and do all the other things they do BEFORE they call you for an interview. This is the interval between filing the N-400 application and the interview. That's why I disagreed with you at this point. If they interviewed the applicant, they triggered their 120 day limit (if the judge doesn't buy USCIS' argument that "examination" is a process, rather than a single event and contains also the name check). But if USCIS didn't interview the applicant (like in wenlock's case), the only remaining argument to attack their inaction is the mandamus act and APA and in this case you have to demonstrate the well known 3 things, which is more complicated, because what is unreasonable, is discretionary.

And arguing that USCIS can interview the applicant only after they conducted the full criminal background check doesn't really help. They will admit that they interviewed the applicant "to work ahead the curve", but they are right when they claim that they can't adjudicate the applicant's case before the full criminal background check is not done, because Congress mandated this in the FY98 autorization act.

So, returning to your husband's specific case, all what you wrote is correct, but with these specifications: USCIS has to adjudicate (instead of process) the application in 120 days after the examination, the district court gains exclusive jurisdiction because you are in the 9th Circuit jurisdiction and there is the US v. Hovsepian decision which is law in this jurisdiction. And you will need to make your case that the interview was the examination; the name check is not part of the examination, it is part of the investigation what USCIS conducts on each applicant.

These things seem like I'm splitting the hair, but in legal matters even small differences in the wording make large difference in the meaning and final output.

Sorry, Paz and others,

I forgot to include this quote to my previous (VEERY LOONG) letter.:eek:

Hi Paz,

Thanks so much for your kind reply. You are right. I haven't drafted the opposition to MTD. I was wondering if I can send your the MTD documents by email to see if you would be able to raise several comments. I would be very grateful to that. If you think the request is too much, that's totally understandable. In the past week I thought of hiring a lawyer but found it is not cheap to hire one. Thanks so much for your consideration.

It is impossible to answer your question why USCIS didn't complete your petition after your name check was complete due to the lack of knowledge what was the result of your name check and to many other factors what we don't know. As a general procedure (I'm not implying that it is true also in your case), if the name check resulted in some potentially derogatory information, USCIS can and will conduct further investigations to decide if the information is or is not excluding the approval of the immigration benefit sought by the petitioner.

Let's hope that they simply were busy with many other applications and you will receive soon the famous 3 e-mails about the approval (does anybody have an idea why they are sending 3 e-mails?)

But in the meantime, you are a little late if you don't have already a draft version for your opposition. In the arguing their motion, I didn't see any unusual thing, so several oppositions posted on this forum which were from successful cases can help you to draft one. People who had to write oppositions to motions to dismiss in WOM lawsuits can help you with samples.

Paz, thank you for detailed answer!

You are totally right about necessity to "split hair" dealing with legal docs, so I appreciate you input even more for doing that! Also, I hope you wouldn't mind if I also do it here. (I really need to verify that my perception of things in the statues is correct. Because what I understood makes sense in itself and it is not that hard to follow its logic.)

I understand from your letter, that my appeal to "USCIS must consider N-400 within reasonable time" was not clear because from 1447(b) and 335 it talks about 120-day rule, and I should rewrite and clarify my framework accordingly.

My question though, is this: I actually combined Mandamus statues:
“With due regard for the convenience and necessity of the parties or their representatives and within a reasonable time, each agency shall proceed to conclude a matter presented to it.” 5 U.S.C. § 555(b);
and:
“The reviewing court shall—
(1) compel agency action unlawfully withheld or unreasonably delayed;..” 5 U.S.C. §706(1).

and 120-time limit because of this logic:

1) IF INA and USC are the laws USCIS must obide, and as long as an n-400 applicant satisfies all 3 conditions for Mandamus, USCIS HAS (-meaning, it is not a discretion), to act on his application and justify its delay in processing it. So within Mandamus sense, USCIS must do all that "within reasonable time". So what is your logic when you said:
"But more generally, there is no mandatory timeframe how long USCIS can conduct an investigation and do all the other things they do BEFORE they call you for an interview. This is the interval between filing the N-400 application and the interview." -Doesn't USCIS still owes a duty to perform under Mandamus?

2) What I do need to show in my framework is, (As I understand-), there is no discretion allowed to USCIS because statues use the verb "shall" describing officer's action (Section 335.3):
"The Service officer shall grant the application if the applicant has complied with all requirements for naturalization under this chapter... The applicant shall be notified that the application has been granted or denied...

So for naturalization cases there is no discretion at all, as specific time frame is given (120 days) and it's all mandatory. For AOS cases Mandamus does not provide discretion either, but its reference to "reasonable time" without specifically stating what is reasonable, is the place where defence can wiggle and try to get out of it. (that's what you said: "the only remaining argument to attack their (-USCIS) inaction is the mandamus act and APA and in this case you have to demonstrate the well known 3 things, which is more complicated, because what is unreasonable, is discretionary.")
Do you agree with this logic?

3) Finally the last thing used in class action is not logical: they quote: 8 U.S.C. § 1571(b):
“It is the sense of Congress that the processing of an immigration benefit application should be completed not later than 180 days after the initial filing of the application,..”They just argued before this point that adjudication is not a "benefit" but a "duty" owed to plaintiff and then proceed to use it (benefit) to streighten their argument (-I forgot to erase it from my framework). Also, you said:
"Unfortunately, this 180 day is not a mandatory time limit for any of the immigration benefits". Do you mean it's not mandatory because "“It is the sense of Congress"? In other words, Congress recommends it but not mandates it?

And very last but very important thing I stumbled upon: in several local 1447 cases I found a wrong statue quote: they quoted INA 336 (b). The Chapter 336 deals with DENIALS of naturalization applications. And there is no 336(b), but 336.9(b) which says:
336--HEARINGS ON DENIALS OF APPLICATIONS FOR NATURALIZATION
Sec. 336.9 Judicial review of denial determinations on applications for naturalization.(b) Filing a petition. Under these procedures an applicant shall ile a petition for review in the United States District Court having jurisdiction over his or her place of residence, in accordance with chapter 7 of title 5, United States Code, within a period of not more than 120 days after the Service's final determination. The petition for review shall be brought against the Immigration and Naturalization Service, and service of the petition for review shall be made upon the Attorney General of the United States, and upon the official in charge of the Service office where the hearing was held pursuant to Sec. 336.2. I found this misquote it three filed 1447(b) cases. They should have quoted sec. 335.3(a) (above). I was puzzled by it until I finally found the right part as I was studying the cases. It's a lesson for us to never take even a filed case for granted, but check and recheck before filing our cases!

Thank you very much again! I don't mean to be nit-picking but I really need to clarify it. I think for the law it would help if instead of precedents it was based on math-like precision. (like, if "reasonable time" was defined specifically for these cases how much time would it save!) Too bad it's not possible in most cases.

Shvili

OK, let's try this one more time. I forgot my pendrive at my work, so I can't cite specific paragraphs and cases, but I'll try my best to make my point without these.

The naturalization process has several steps, one follows the previous and you can't change the order of these steps.

After you apply for naturalization, USCIS initiates an investigation, which contains also the name check where most of us got stuck. There is no time limit prescribed in any of the statues or regulations, how much time they can take to complete this investigation. After this is done, they will examine the applicant, this is the interview. (USCIS usually disputes this and tries, in most of the cases unsuccessfully, to show that the examination is a process and the name check is part of it). From the day when USICS interviewed the applicant, 1447(b) kicks in and the 120 day clock start ticking. If they don't adjudicate the application, applicant can file a complaint with the district court and ask for a hearing. The court can conduct a hearing and decide the matter or can remand the matter to the Service with specific instructions.

So UNTIL the applicant didn't have his/her interview, there is no time limit for USCIS how long they can take to call you for the interview. In these cases only the mandamus+APA can help, but it is a lot more difficult case, because you have to prove that USCIS owes you a non discretionary duty to adjudicate your case without an unreasonable delay. What is unreasonable, it is discretionary and will depend on the court.

If you are lucky and you already had your interview, you don't need the mandamus because of 1447(b). The first thing is to fight the USCIS twisted interpretation of the word "examination" (they will claim that the name check is part of it so the 120 day clock didn't even start) to prove that the court has subject matter jurisdiction. But this is only half of the story, because no court will determine the matter (i.e., grant you citizenship) without the finished background check. So the judge will elect the second option conferred by 1447(b): to remand the case back to the Service. And here is the second critical issue: to convince the judge to order certain actions in certain timeframe. Otherways, if the remand is like: "USCIS should adjudicate application immediately after the FBI finishes the background check", this will not solve your problem.

You are correct when you put the emphasis on the word "shall" in your citation from 335.3. But only AFTER applicant has complied with all requirements for naturalization, which include also the "full criminal background check". The name check is part of it, so no name check completed, no adjudication. I wonder why so many people left out FBI from their defendants' list... Remeber: if the sequence is A then B then C..., you can't ask C before A and B is not finished. If you don't sue the agency responsible for B, the court can't compel them to complete B and if the court compels the agency responsible for C, without B being completed, the only way to comply with the court order is to deny the application, because the law mandated B before C.

Finally, you are right. "it is the sense of the Congress..." means that Congress recommends this timeframe but it is not mandatory. If this would be mandatory, all these cases (N-400, I-485) would be trivial. They didn't adjudicate in 180 days, so they broke the law and you can sue them. As you see from this forum and many, many WOM and 1447(b) cases, life is more complicated. Absolutely none of the lawsuits were won because this "it is the sense of the Congress...180 days..."

I hope that this helps.

Hi Paz,

Thanks so much for your kind reply. You are right. I haven't drafted the opposition to MTD. I was wondering if I can send your the MTD documents by email to see if you would be able to raise several comments. I would be very grateful to that. If you think the request is too much, that's totally understandable. In the past week I thought of hiring a lawyer but found it is not cheap to hire one. Thanks so much for your consideration.

Well, if you didn't even start to draft your opposition, you better get going, because one week seems to me quite short to get familiar with these types of cases in general and with your Motion to Dismiss (27 pages) in particular.

Unfortunately, I am not an expert in WOM cases, mine was a naturalization case based on 1447(b). So hopefully somebody else, who already went through this in a similar case can help you. But it is not easy to go through such a long document at such a short notice....

Hi Paz:

Thanks a lot. I can understand that. I just took a close look at the US attorney's arguments. I believe the first three are very much generic which I could probably copy from someone else's paperwork. I will list them below plus two arguments that may be specific to mine. Could you please take a look? I sent you a private message a short while ago. Anyone else is wellcome to raise insight. I would be grateful to your comments. I am in a hurry to start with my paperwork.

The US attorney's arguments for dismissal:
1. Plaintiff's complaint should be dismissed pursuant to rule 12(b)(1) because 8 U.S.C. & 1252 (a)(2)(b)(ii) divests this court of jurisdiction.

2. The court lacks subject matter jurisdiction to grant plaintiff's request for Mandamus Under 28 U.S.C. & 1361

3. The APA precludes this court from reviewing Plaintiff's claim because the INA does not confer jurisdiction, and because Plaintiff's claim concerns action that is committed to Agency discretion.

4. Even if this court were inclined to exercise jurisdiction, the wait in this case has not been unreasonable.
(My waiting as of now is one and a half years. Isn't it long enough???)

5. The claim against the FBI is moot.
(Since the FBI name check was completed and the results were forwarded to USCIS, AUSA claims that the charge against FBI is not standable).

The US attorney mainly used the memorandum of law, a declaration by a USCIS officer at Vermont Service Center showing that USCIS is actively processing my application and years of waiting is reasonable, and three cases to support her arguments. In the arguments, she also supported many previously cases where the motion to dismiss was granted.

The three cases I posted in one of my recent message. Two of them are quite new. One (Safadi v. Howard) is on Dec 20, 2006. Safadi is a citizen of Lebannon and applied to I485 since Nov 2002. The second (Jabr v. Chertoff) is on Nov 21 2006. Jabr, a citizen of Egypt was married to a US citizen and applied to I485 based on marriage. The third supporting case (Karan v. McElroys) is on May 23 2003.

Thanks so much for you folks on the web. I am so much grateful to all the discussions. Your comments and advice will be highly appreciated.

Well, if you didn't even start to draft your opposition, you better get going, because one week seems to me quite short to get familiar with these types of cases in general and with your Motion to Dismiss (27 pages) in particular.

Unfortunately, I am not an expert in WOM cases, mine was a naturalization case based on 1447(b). So hopefully somebody else, who already went through this in a similar case can help you. But it is not easy to go through such a long document at such a short notice....

Hi, all

I want to update you all on my case and so we may have more information to monitor the current weather in immigration lawsuits.

AUSA informed me today that USCIS sent my case for expedite name check (not sure whether it is due to the coming-up discovery plan). Therefore I agreed to stay my discovery plan until Judge make decision on the motion to dismiss.

I noticed too that it takes longer now to complete an expedite name check. Let's see what happens. Anyway knows how long it took for a recent expedite name check to complete?

MidOfFighting

In my opinion, USCIS put expedite name check in different priority. If it is due to Judge Order, they will put it in top priority finish it in 20 ~60 days (Just an estimation). Second level like AUSA pushing hard will take 30 ~ 90 days. My guess is thet regular expedite name check now may take up to 120 days to get it done. Beside that, you also need conside other two factors:(1) It will also depend on how complicate of your name check could be; (2) When USCIS submitt your expedite name check request, but it is not like to have first come, first serve principle. I was told by my AUSA that it is ture, even expedite name checks are backlog and takes months to solve, it is why AUSA have to use extension to buy them time. The worse case is they submitt the expedite reqest, file extension and extension, then, expedite name check still pending, they have to file MTD at the end to buy more time.

The 20 days is probably a mistake. When you sue the government, they have 60 days to answer your complaint, unless in extraordinary circumstances the judge orders it differently. When the defendant is a civil party (i.e., not the US government), the time limit to answer the complaint is 20 days.

This is what the judge ordered. I got a code 3 finger print yesterday. Seems that the judge order made a difference. Does any one have any idea how long it should take to get the I-485 approved after having the second finger print.

Thanks

My case has been pending more than a year since receipt date, and six months since the interview now. I kept calling the 1-800 number, and they keep telling me that my name check has not been done. I recently changed my mailing address to CA from GA, but kept my case in GA. I am a consultant here on a 6 month project. I just got tired of waiting and submitted an inquiry into my account. CA office called me to tell me that everything has been done and they don't understand why I have not been schedueld for an oath ceremony. I called 1-800 number the next day. They told me that my name check has not been done. I got frustrated and said that I am now entitled to sue UCSIC. I want to know what is going on with my case. Then, he tells me to wait. He tells me that they've received reply from FBI in May, 3 months before my interview. He, then, says many people are waiting in GA. That might be wny my case is still pending. The reply from FBI was probably never inputted in my file correclty. My file was waiting for a reply from FBI that won't come, because it already came! It could have been sitting and waiting forever.

I made an appointment with CA office. I am still not confident everything will work out... I'll give CA office a month to get my files from GA before taking legal actions...

Date GC acquired: March 28, 1986 (sigh... only if my parents didn't wait so long to get naturalized...)
Date filed: Feb 22, 2006
Fingerprints submitted with applications (Overseas as an US government contractor)
Interview: Aug 8, 2006

I called the 1-800 number today. I was again confirmed that the name check is still pending... Anyone know a good lawyer in L.A. area?

Hi Team,
Attached is a case in Michigan in which Judge strike down motion for cost of attorney.

I'm not surprised at all. Plaintiff got what he wanted before the court decided anything. As the judge wrote in the last paragraph of the order:

The Sixth Circuit in Chambers v. Ohio Dep’t of Human Services, 273 F.3d 690, 691 (6th Cir. 2002), said “to ‘prevail’, the party must have obtained a change in the legal relationship of the parties that originated in a court order or that had at least received judicial sanction. “ There was no adjudication of this
matter or court order entered before Morrison became a United States citizen. Therefore, Morrison is not a prevailing party and he is not entitled to costs or fees pursuant to 28 U.S.C. §2412.

my comments in red

Thanks Akram.

Can you please confirm the address below for USCIS Director:

Emilio T. Gonzalez, Director, USCIS
Office of the General Counsel
U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services
20 Massachusetts Ave, NW,
Washington, DC 20528

Is this the address on your summons to USCIS Director?

Thanks.