Anyone with a lawsuit against USCIS or thinking about a lawsuit (Merged)

Wom

I got " No record " from FBI on my FOIPA request. But I already filed my lawsuit two weeks ago. Do I need to submit this letter to the court? If I need, how should I submit it? just write down the case number on this letter and give it the court? Is this a motion or a exhibit? Thanks!

thanks much. this is very good.

Ny question here is whether a summons has to
be written specifically for the AUSA, like your sample summons or you only need to serve the AUSA with the copies of summons sent to all
the defendants. I looked at the pacers and found people did both ways.

I must admit this is a very confusing step. even after doing it and reading so many posts, I am still
at a loss on what is the correct way of proceeding.

paz1960 said:
Hi rob waiter,

Here it is the explanation why you need to serve the US Attorney's local office:

1. Service on the United States
In suits against the United States, Federal Rule of Civil Procedure 4(i)(1)(A)-(C) provides that counsel must serve the summons and complaint on the:
* local US Attorneys Office either by in person delivery to the US Attorney, an Assistant US Attorney or clerical employee designated to accept service or by registered or certified mail to the civil process clerk; and
* US Attorney General by registered or certified mail (to the address in Appendix A); and
* if the action is attacking the validity of an order of an officer or agency not named as a party to the action, the US agency or officer by registered or certified mail. See Part II, section A.2 below for information on how to serve US agencies and officers.

The counsel in a Pro Se filed lawsuit is the Plaintiff. The citation above is from the "WHOM TO SUE AND WHOM TO SERVE IN IMMIGRATION-RELATED DISTRICT COURT LITIGATION By Trina A. Realmuto" AMERICAN IMMIGRATION LAW FOUNDATION - PRACTICE ADVISORY, Last updated April 7, 2006.

Serving the summons+complaint to the US Attorney doesn't mean that he is also a defendant. He is not listed in the Plaintiff v. Defendant enumeration.

Please see attached an example for a summons served for the US Attorney.

rob waiter said:
thanks much. this is very good.

Ny question here is whether a summons has to
be written specifically for the AUSA, like your sample summons or you only need to serve the AUSA with the copies of summons sent to all
the defendants. I looked at the pacers and found people did both ways.

I must admit this is a very confusing step. even after doing it and reading so many posts, I am still
at a loss on what is the correct way of proceeding.

I had a summons written to the US Attorney's office but he was not listed among the defendants. The deputy court clerk who stamped them, specifically asked if I have a summons for the US Attorney's Office, this complaint being against the Government.

But I would not worry too much. If you send them copies of all the other summons+ a copy of your complaints, I believe that you are fine. I saw couple of cases where the US Attorney complained in their motion that they were not properly served, because the address didn't state 'Civil Process Clerk' but they never motioned to dismiss the complaint because this deficiency.

But here again applies the advice: please check the local rules!

peter2006 said:
I got " No record " from FBI on my FOIPA request. But I already filed my lawsuit two weeks ago. Do I need to submit this letter to the court? If I need, how should I submit it? just write down the case number on this letter and give it the court? Is this a motion or a exhibit? Thanks!

peter2006, This is certainly not a motion. A motion is something where you are asking the Court to act, to do something. This would be an exhibit, although in my opinion, not very relevant. There are couple of detailed descriptions what is the difference between the criminal background checks and the name checks. You can have a 'no record' result of your FOIPA and clean fingerprints (i.e.,you were not arrested before and there is no active investigation of you) but still you can have a 'hit' during the reference file system checks, which is done in the name check process.

Filing the FOIPA 'no record' letter as an exhibit may help, but is not conclusive, they (USCIS) can and will argue, that the name check can reveal derogatory things about you, which were not revealed in the FOIPA letter.

But you can file this letter by amending your complaint. You can read about how to do this in the Pro Se handbook I attached to this post.

Last edited by a moderator:
Judge change?

I filed a WOM case for my pending I485 case on Oct. 3 rd in District of MA. I called the clerk today and I was told that the original judge rescued himself for knowing the director of FBI. My case was given to a different judge. Has anyone here had this kind of experience? This is so werid. I might be wrong because I thought that the clerk told me at the begining was one of the defendents complained that the original judge gave him hard time before and he requested the judge change. Well, I hope this judge change would not affect my case.

Lawsuit Success Story

Greetings to you all!

Being inspired by extremely useful information that I found here I sued the US Government and obtained US citizenship today.

This would not have been possible without this forum; I would have been lost otherwise. Thank you, Publicus and all others, thank you, thank you!

I filed N-400 on 9/15/05; interview date 1/10/06; lawsuit filed 6/26/06.

The US Attorney that handled my case said that she had a lot of those and NONE made it to a hearing before a judge; all were resolved.

Feel free to ask any questions, I will assist in whichever way I can.

Congrats!

May I ask which district you are in?

commissar said:
Greetings to you all!

Being inspired by extremely useful information that I found here I sued the US Government and obtained US citizenship today.

This would not have been possible without this forum; I would have been lost otherwise. Thank you, Publicus and all others, thank you, thank you!

The US Attorney that handled my case said that she had a lot of those and NONE made it to a hearing before a judge; all were resolved.

Congrats and enjoy your freedom. As you can see my singature, I am still in the middle of the fight. My answer is due today and AUSA did filed an answer. Her answer just said the answer to my compliant is necessary. I guess I have to wait for more time for the ASUA to file a report to the court.

jack

commissar said:
Greetings to you all!

milena said:
Just got off the phone with AUSA and they said I would be sworn in for
oath on Nov 15/06. Incredible b/c I thought this Houston district was going to be a tough jurisdiction to win my 1447 case b/c the previous judges slam 6 cases shut with out a hearing. I told the assigned AUSA I was prepared to
fight this case to the end, no matter what the outcome was.

I thank the people who started this forum who make it happen, and give me the ability and tools to fight. Know matter how tough the situation is you got
to fight for what is right.

filed sept 21/06
served AUSA 9/22/06

milena:

Congratulations ! Your resolve played a role !

Did the judge ever assign a hearing date for you ? Is the judge the same person as who slamed the previous 6 ?

Thank you sharing !

paz1960 and 786riz, thank you for your reply,
I think, I'll wait until Monday and will contact them,
Will keep posted

paz1960 said:
Hi annat,
In my district court the clock starts ticking next day after the order was issued or the summons served, so if this is a general rule, AUSA has technically one more day till 5 pm to file. Theyt do that electronically, so they can do it in the last moment. Wait one or two more days, you'll see that most likely they will file something.

How do I respond?

Hi All,
I just checked Pacer and AUSA filed Response to Order to Show Cause today, where they are talking about why my case should be dismissed.(Danilov v Aguirre, Moral character determination, how USCIA is working hard and so on, I think I saw some people getting such things)
It also says that on 09/18/2006 USCIA requested FBI to expedite name check.

What should I do next? How do I answer? When should I do it? Will court ask me to respond or not?

I do have my FOIA that I have not yet edit to the case.
Any help, ideas, samples will be much appreciated.

Thank you

commissar said:
Greetings to you all!

Congratulations commissar! I also apreciate your willingness to share with this forum your experience and that you are open to questions and willing to help others. Somehow I feel that this is like a relay; some people go earlier to this ordeal, using all the invaluable info collected on this forum. After they are over, somehow it is their moral obligation to give back something they received from the collective knowledge base. This tradition continues, and I sincerely hope that there will be always people out these who will continue helping the newcomers (like me) with this journey going through the lawsuit against the Government. It is scary, intimidating but ultimately the law and the thruth will prevail. I sincerely believe in this.

annat said:
Hi All,
I just checked Pacer and AUSA filed Response to Order to Show Cause today, where they are talking about why my case should be dismissed.(Danilov v Aguirre, Moral character determination, how USCIA is working hard and so on, I think I saw some people getting such things)
It also says that on 09/18/2006 USCIA requested FBI to expedite name check.

What should I do next? How do I answer? When should I do it? Will court ask me to respond or not?

I do have my FOIA that I have not yet edit to the case.
Any help, ideas, samples will be much appreciated.

Thank you

Dear Annat,
There is nothing unusual or unexpected in your case. I believe that you are already in much better situation that you were before you filed this complaint. You have now the certainty that your case is finally moving. The USCIS requested an expedited name check from FBI, they asked you to do a second set of fingerprints. From the past experience of members of this forum, these are all good signs.

AUSA had to file something because the deadline. They filed this Response to Order to Show Cause, which I assume (you were not very explicit) that contains a motion to dismiss your complaint lack of jurisdiction (if they argued with Danilov v. Aguirre, they probably recycled that twisted argument that the 120 days begins not after your interview but only after the security background check is complete).

You definitely have to file an Opposition to the Defendants Motion to Dismiss. If you leave it unanswered, the judge just can order by default and grant the motion of the defendant, i.e., throw out your complaint.

Your opposition has to address the allegations of the AUSA, i.e., you have to state punctually, why do you believe that they are wrong and why your complaint should not be dismissed. You have to make reference to the statutes, regulations and case law (i.e. citing cases where the decisions support your cause).

You should read Chapter 5, page 50-56 from the Pro Se handbook I posted couple of postings ago.

Here is a short explanation how this whole process works (it is from this Pro Se handbook):

Filing and serving a complaint is the first step in a lawsuit. After that, whenever you want the court to do something, you need to make a motion. Basically, a motion is a formal request you make to the court. Rule 7(b) of the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure requires all motions to be made in writing, except for motions made during a hearing or trial. You may make verbal (or
“speaking”) motions during a hearing or trial, but even then the court may ask you to put your motion in writing.
Usually, the following things occur when a motion is filed. First, one side files a motion explaining what they want the court to do and why the court should do it. The party who files a motion is referred to as the “moving party.” Next, the opposing party files an opposition brief explaining why it believes the court should not grant the motion. Then the moving party files a reply brief in which it responds to the arguments made in the opposition brief. At that point, neither side can file any more documents about the motion without first getting permission from the court. Once all of the papers relating to the motion are filed, the court can decide the motion based solely on the arguments in the papers, or it can hold a hearing. If the court holds a hearing,
each side has an opportunity to talk to the court about the arguments in their papers. The court then has the option of announcing its decision in the courtroom (ruling from the bench), or to further consider the motion (taking the motion under consideration) and send the parties a written decision.

So my interpretation is that you will not receive any instruction from the court, but you are supposed to file an Opposition to the Defendants Motion to Dismiss. I vaguely remember that I read somewhere what is the rule for the timing (i.e., how many days you have to file an Opposition) but I don't remember exactly. If I find this info I will post it here on the forum.

Question regarding filling petition 1447(b)

Any recommendation for lawyers? I am a resident if Virginia and looking for a lawyer to file my petition.
Thanks to this forum for convincing me to file the petition.
Thanks

Here is one good attorney. I have used him in the past for my GC through employment petition and he did an excellent job.

Paul Shearman Allen and Associates
1329 18th Street, NW
Washington, DC 20036
Tel: 202-638-2777

Another WOM success story

Here is another success story - my green card has been approved less than 2 months after filing the WOM suit. Since I learned so much from this great
forum, I will post here my timeline and also share a couple of sentiments, for the benefits of future filers.

First, the timeline:
I-485 submitted in October of 2004, EB2, stuck in the background check
WOM filed Pro Se August 30th, 2006 in Northern District of NY
2nd Fingerprinting notice received on October 12th
Fingerprints taken October 23rd, 2006
AOS Approval notice mailed - October 25th, 2006.
Green cards ordered - October 26th 2006

Also, I want to share a couple of obervations, which are only based on my limited experience:

After a friend of mine pointed me to this forum and suggested that I should consider filing the WOM, I initially thought that suing the government to get
a green card is just not a reasonable idea. BUT, after reading the first 40-50 pages of this thread, I quickly realized that filing a suit (in most cases)
is nothing else but just submitting a piece of paper and paying some money to expedite the processing of another paper. Once I started thinking of it in
these terms, it was psychologically easier to proceed.

In my case, I established the connection with the AUSA very quickly - about 2 weeks after filing. The first time I called, they apparently did not have
anybody assigned to the case, but the next day the AUSA returned my call himself and I explained him what I wanted. He was seemingly glad to know that I would like to resolve this matter out of Court. From that point on, we communicated through e-mail on as needed basis and he was extremely nice, responsive and professional. I felt that it was important to establish early contact to show the AUSA that there is a real person behind the lawsuit.

Good luck to all future and current filers and thank you all very very much for contributing to this wonderful forum! To future filers: spend some time
reading this thread, there are the answers to most questions (whom to serve, how to serve, summons, templates, etc.). In my case, I spent several hours a
day for one week before I felt comfortable with the idea of filing WOM.

nat_01 said:
Any recommendation for lawyers? I am a resident if Virginia and looking for a lawyer to file my petition.
Thanks to this forum for convincing me to file the petition.
Thanks

Hi nat_01,

I am in the Midwest, so I have no knowledge about any immigration lawyer in Virginia. Hopefully some other member can help you. But I have a suggestion, which would give you some choices even if nobody will recommend you a lawyer.

Go to the Virginia District on PACER and look for the similar cases in the past two years. Find successful cases and look in the complaint who was the lawyer. You can get his/her name and contact info from the court documents, after that you just call them and try to negotiate a deal.

happycitizen said:
Here is one good attorney. I have used him in the past for my GC through employment petition and he did an excellent job.

Paul Shearman Allen and Associates
1329 18th Street, NW
Washington, DC 20036
Tel: 202-638-2777
Paul Allen hanged up the phone and the sec asked me to setup an appointment and pay 300 to talk to him. Mr. Allen was rude and I am sorry to say I will not recommend anyone to have him as a lawyer.

commissar said:
Greetings to you all!

Where did you apply, what state

soccerman said:
Here is another success story - my green card has been approved less than 2 months after filing the WOM suit. Since I learned so much from this great
forum, I will post here my timeline and also share a couple of sentiments, for the benefits of future filers.

First, the timeline:
I-485 submitted in October of 2004, EB2, stuck in the background check
WOM filed Pro Se August 30th, 2006 in Northern District of NY
2nd Fingerprinting notice received on October 12th
Fingerprints taken October 23rd, 2006
AOS Approval notice mailed - October 25th, 2006.
Green cards ordered - October 26th 2006

Also, I want to share a couple of obervations, which are only based on my limited experience:

After a friend of mine pointed me to this forum and suggested that I should consider filing the WOM, I initially thought that suing the government to get
a green card is just not a reasonable idea. BUT, after reading the first 40-50 pages of this thread, I quickly realized that filing a suit (in most cases)
is nothing else but just submitting a piece of paper and paying some money to expedite the processing of another paper. Once I started thinking of it in
these terms, it was psychologically easier to proceed.

In my case, I established the connection with the AUSA very quickly - about 2 weeks after filing. The first time I called, they apparently did not have
anybody assigned to the case, but the next day the AUSA returned my call himself and I explained him what I wanted. He was seemingly glad to know that I would like to resolve this matter out of Court. From that point on, we communicated through e-mail on as needed basis and he was extremely nice, responsive and professional. I felt that it was important to establish early contact to show the AUSA that there is a real person behind the lawsuit.

Good luck to all future and current filers and thank you all very very much for contributing to this wonderful forum! To future filers: spend some time
reading this thread, there are the answers to most questions (whom to serve, how to serve, summons, templates, etc.). In my case, I spent several hours a
day for one week before I felt comfortable with the idea of filing WOM.

Hello soccerman,
Congratulation for your success. Enjoy your new status. I totally agree with your comments. It is important to establish a good working relation with AUSA, they would like to help you because they help also themselves if the lawsuit ends early with the case solved. It is also very important to be well prepared and this forum is an excellent resourse of knowledge. Just have to spend some time on reading the posts, saving the relevant info.

I look to this whole lawsuit as a challenge, where there is a problem what I have to solve. There are some rules what everybody has to follow, in order to be successful in any game you have to learn first the rules of the game. It helps if you are lucky, but like in any game, you can't always be lucky you better prepare well and ultimately you will prevail because you are right and they are wrong. Maybe it is a too simplistic, Hollywood-style approach that the good ultimately wins, but it helps when I'm down and depressed because all this mess with the never ending name check process.