Anyone with a lawsuit against USCIS or thinking about a lawsuit (Merged)

Good explanation paz1960. AUSA have to file something in regards to a complain, either motion to dismiss or an acknowledgement, this is by procedure. We have to remember that all these officials (judges, AUSA, etc.) are elected officials and if they do any thing out of procedure that will stays in their record and may harm them during election time. cajack, now the judge will review what ever is filed and may ask for a conference, you could call the judge’s case manager ask what to expect. Looks to me that AUSA is just buying some time to resolve you case.
Good luck.

cajack said:
paz1960:

Thank you very much for your answer. I have the same feeling that AUSA is trying to buy some time for FBI to finish my name check. My question is if AUSA needs more time, why she did not ask for extension? Is it a good or bad sign? It really beats me. By the way, as I know Case Management Conference(CMC) is already arranged at 11/20. Hopefully, we can work out something before then. Thanks again,

Jack

annat said:
Hi,
I filed the case and judge filed Order to Show Cause for the Defendants on 09/26/06, which is due in 30 days and today is 10/26/06 and I do not see anything filed yet...
Did anybody have experience with it? What should I do next? Or how does it usually go?

Hi annat,
In my district court the clock starts ticking next day after the order was issued or the summons served, so if this is a general rule, AUSA has technically one more day till 5 pm to file. Theyt do that electronically, so they can do it in the last moment. Wait one or two more days, you'll see that most likely they will file something.

Hello annat,
Call the judge’s case manager ask them about your case, like any thing filed, or AUSA asked for extension, etc.
Good luck

annat said:
Hi,
I filed the case and judge filed Order to Show Cause for the Defendants on 09/26/06, which is due in 30 days and today is 10/26/06 and I do not see anything filed yet...
Did anybody have experience with it? What should I do next? Or how does it usually go?

786riz:

Thank you for you response. I will see what is going to happen next and keep you guys updated.

thanks,

Jack

786riz said:
Good explanation paz1960. AUSA have to file something in regards to a complain, either motion to dismiss or an acknowledgement, this is by procedure. We have to remember that all these officials (judges, AUSA, etc.) are elected officials and if they do any thing out of procedure that will stays in their record and may harm them during election time. cajack, now the judge will review what ever is filed and may ask for a conference, you could call the judge’s case manager ask what to expect. Looks to me that AUSA is just buying some time to resolve you case.
Good luck.

786riz said:
Good luck.

786riz, I respectfully disagree with you. The District Judge is nominated by the President of the United States and it is a lifetime position. After doing some research on the web, I changed this post. The US Attorney in each district is also nominated by the President of the USA and is validated by the Senate like the District Judge. (S)He prosecutes federal crimes and defends the government is lawsuits files against the US. But I completely agree with the second part of your message.

Last edited by a moderator:
Moon_g said:
Which US Atty office should I send my case to?
I found the following US Atty address from internet, please guide me which two are the right place should I send my case to.

1. For Local US Atty office

United States Attorney's Office
Civil Process Clerk
Northern District Patrick Fitzgerald, USA*
219 S. Dearborn St., 5th Floor
Chicago, IL 60604

United States Attorney's Office
Northern District of Illinois, Eastern Division
219 S. Dearborn St., 5th Floor
Chicago, IL 60604

2. For US Atty office gerneral

Lisa Madigan
Illinois Attorney General
Chicago Main Office
100 West Randolph Street
Chicago, IL 60601

Alberto R. Gonzales
US Attorney General
U.S. Department of Justice
950 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20530-0001

By the way, a childish question: Why we need to send our summon copies + complaint to US Atty and US Atty Gerneral? Who are they?

Thanks!

Hi moon_g,

I would use the first address for the local US Attorney's office, but leave out Patrick Fitzgerald, USA*

The Illinois Attorney general has nothing to do with your lawsuit, this is a federal case, not a state case.

The simple answer to your last question would be that you need to serve them because the law requires this.

The more ellaborate answer is this:
You are filing a complaint against government agencies and officers of the US government in their official capacities. You can not expect that Michael Chertoff et al. will show up in Chicago in the District Court at your trial (if this reaches that phase, hopefully not). Because they are defendants in their official capacity, they don't have to hire a private counsel (lawyer) to represent them. That's one of the roles of the US Attorney's office to represent the Government in litigations. The local US Attorney needs to be notified because (s)he (actually, one of his/her assistants, abbreviated AUSA) will be dealing with the case with the district court. The US Attorney General needs to be notified because government agencies are involved in the case and he is in charge with all the legal matter involving the US government.

Revisiting this issue, I am not sure why you
wanted to serve the local AUSA - you only
need to send the copies of the summons
+ complaint to them , but you never
put them as one of your defendants.

But if you did not send the copies to
them and they were even not aware of
this suit, then the 60 day clock would not
click.

stoyan79 said:
I cannot believe how dumb of a mistake I made! When I filed the case I did not know that I have to serve the local US attorney bacuse they were not one of the defendants. So today was the 60th day and I called the AUSA and they told me that they have not been served so the 60 days have not started yet, so I served them today. I am soooo pissed at myself right now, the AUSA now knows what kind of dumb ass is suing the government. :)

rob waiter said:
Revisiting this issue, I am not sure why you
wanted to serve the local AUSA - you only
need to send the copies of the summons
+ complaint to them , but you never
put them as one of your defendants.

But if you did not send the copies to
them and they were even not aware of
this suit, then the 60 day clock would not
click.

Hi rob waiter,

Here it is the explanation why you need to serve the US Attorney's local office:

1. Service on the United States
In suits against the United States, Federal Rule of Civil Procedure 4(i)(1)(A)-(C) provides that counsel must serve the summons and complaint on the:
* local US Attorneys Office either by in person delivery to the US Attorney, an Assistant US Attorney or clerical employee designated to accept service or by registered or certified mail to the civil process clerk; and
* US Attorney General by registered or certified mail (to the address in Appendix A); and
* if the action is attacking the validity of an order of an officer or agency not named as a party to the action, the US agency or officer by registered or certified mail. See Part II, section A.2 below for information on how to serve US agencies and officers.

The counsel in a Pro Se filed lawsuit is the Plaintiff. The citation above is from the "WHOM TO SUE AND WHOM TO SERVE IN IMMIGRATION-RELATED DISTRICT COURT LITIGATION By Trina A. Realmuto" AMERICAN IMMIGRATION LAW FOUNDATION - PRACTICE ADVISORY, Last updated April 7, 2006.

Serving the summons+complaint to the US Attorney doesn't mean that he is also a defendant. He is not listed in the Plaintiff v. Defendant enumeration.

Please see attached an example for a summons served for the US Attorney.

What Should I do?

Here are my details:
N-400 RD: 11/17/2005
ID: 4/21/2006
1447(b): 8/28/2006
USA served 8/28/2006
Defendants served between 8/29/2006 and 9/13/2006
on 10/24/2006 I talked to assistant US attorney who said that my name check is ready, and he wanted me to ask the judge to remand the case back to the CIS without any timeframes, I said I will be happy to do so if the dismissal request stated a timeframe, I proposed 30 days, I even said that 60 days will be fine too. The assistant US attorney said that this sounds okay with him, but, he has to get the approval of the CIS first, and return to me this week, he didn't return to me, instead, he filed the following extension request suggesting that I am teh stick in the mud who don't want to determine what I want.
Federal defendants, by and through Daniel Bogdon, United States Attorney for teh District of Nevada, and Carlos Gonzales, Assistant United States Attorney, move this court for an order allowing defendants an extension of thirty (30) days to and including Monday Nov 27th, 2006, in which to file defendants response to Plaintiff's Petition for hearing on Naturalization Application under 8 U.S.C.....
Plaintiff filed her petition on Aug 28th, 2006, and defendants answer or other response pleading is due on Oct 24th, 2006. On October 24th, 2006, undersigned council spoke with Plaintiff and teh parties are attempting to resolve this matter without further litigation, A thirty (30) day extension of time is required for the plaintiff to determine weather she will stipulate to remand this matter to the Citizenship and Immigration Services. For the reason Stated, teh CIS requests an additional 30 days to and including Nov 27, 2006, in which to file Defendants' response to Plaintiff's petition.

What do you guys think? should I file a response for that? what should I do?

hayyyoot said:
Here are my details:
USA served 8/28/2006
on 10/24/2006 I talked to assistant US attorney who said that my name check is ready, and he wanted me to ask the judge to remand the case back to the CIS without any timeframes, I said I will be happy to do so if the dismissal request stated a timeframe, I proposed 30 days, I even said that 60 days will be fine too. The assistant US attorney said that this sounds okay with him, but, he has to get the approval of the CIS first, and return to me this week, he didn't return to me, instead, he filed the following extension request suggesting that I am teh stick in the mud who don't want to determine what I want.
Federal defendants, by and through Daniel Bogdon, United States Attorney for teh District of Nevada, and Carlos Gonzales, Assistant United States Attorney, move this court for an order allowing defendants an extension of thirty (30) days to and including Monday Nov 27th, 2006, in which to file defendants response to Plaintiff's Petition for hearing on Naturalization Application under 8 U.S.C.....
Plaintiff filed her petition on Aug 28th, 2006, and defendants answer or other response pleading is due on Oct 24th, 2006. On October 24th, 2006, undersigned council spoke with Plaintiff and teh parties are attempting to resolve this matter without further litigation, A thirty (30) day extension of time is required for the plaintiff to determine weather she will stipulate to remand this matter to the Citizenship and Immigration Services. For the reason Stated, teh CIS requests an additional 30 days to and including Nov 27, 2006, in which to file Defendants' response to Plaintiff's petition.

Hello hayyyoot,

I think that you are very close to get what you want: adjudication of your application. Seems that you cleared the biggest hurdle, the name check with FBI. In my opinion you can do two things. Because AUSA filed a motion, you have to answer it, otherways the judge can just approve this motion. The first answer can be that you agree with the 30 day exension and essentially the output is the same like you wouldn't answer this motion. It still looks better to answer it, than just to ignore it.

The second option, that't what I would do, is to file an opposition to this motion, stating that you are willing to dismiss your complaint if the defendants agree to adjudicate your petition in 30 (60) days. State in your motion that according to the AUSA, your name check is done and this was the only unsolved issue (according to USCIS) before they can adjudicate your petition. State also that you waited already an unreasonably long time and USCIS already violated 1446, not adjudicating your petition in 120 days after the examination.

My guess is that you are safe, even if you decide to go with the 30 days extension proposed by AUSA, you most likely will get a decision before they need to file an answer to your complaint. Remember, by filing this motion by AUSA they just postponed the obligation to answer your complaint, if the 30 day extension is granted by the judge and passes, they still need to answer it. Now that they have your name check completed, they REALLY ran out even of that false argument that your examination is not done till the name check is not complete. Of course, following the same logic they may claim, that the 120 day clock started only after the namecheck was completed, but I strongly believe, that your case will be solved in the next 30 days.

hayyyoot said:
Here are my details:
USA served 8/28/2006

Reading again your posting, I realised that there is a difference in asking the judge in a motion to dismiss your complaint or to aks to remand the case back to USCIS. (Of course, in both cases with a very specific timeframe).

If the case is dismissed, nobody won, it is like there was no lawsuit, nobody is entitled to anything. If the judge agrees with your motion to remand the case to USCIS with specific timeline, it means that you won, and probably you can ask in a separate motion to recover your costs (the filing fee + your copying and mailing charges, if you have receipts). I didn't see any Pro Se cases, where the plaintiff won and got back these costs, but if my interpertation is correct, this is possible, at least theoretically.

The most important thing is that you should insist in a very specific timeframe. In my complaint in the PRAYER I put the following:

WHEREFORE, Plaintiff respectfully requests that:
I. This Honorable Court will accept and maintain continuing jurisdiction of this action;
II. This Honorable Court will hear Plaintiff’s case and adjudicate Plaintiff’s N-400 application based on the facts presented;
III. As an alternative, Plaintiff prays that this Honorable Court will remand the matter to USCIS with the following specific instructions to the Defendants:
a. USCIS should request immediately from FBI an expedited processing of Plaintiff’s background check;
b. FBI should complete the Plaintiff’s background check as soon as possible but not later than 30 days following the Order of this Honorable Court;
c. USCIS should adjudicate Plaintiff’s N-400 application as soon as possible but not later than 15 days after FBI completed the background check, and report the decision to both Plaintiff and to this Honorable Court;
d. If USCIS determines that Plaintiff should be naturalized, USCIS shall perform all such formalities associated with the act of naturalization as soon as possible but not later than 60 days from the date of the Order of this Honorable Court.
IV. In addition, Plaintiff prays for such further relief as this Honorable Court may deem just and proper.

Can the AUSA be a big fat liar??

Please read below, I am really scared that my name check wasn't cleared or anything, and that the AUSA is trying to sweet talk me into remanding my case back to the USCIS so that they can put me on hold for another ten years, I have no proof that the AUSA said that the name check was cleared. it is a case of he said she said. what do you guys think?
paz1960 said:
Hello hayyyoot,

I think that you are very close to get what you want: adjudication of your application. Seems that you cleared the biggest hurdle, the name check with FBI. In my opinion you can do two things. Because AUSA filed a motion, you have to answer it, otherways the judge can just approve this motion. The first answer can be that you agree with the 30 day exension and essentially the output is the same like you wouldn't answer this motion. It still looks better to answer it, than just to ignore it.

The second option, that't what I would do, is to file an opposition to this motion, stating that you are willing to dismiss your complaint if the defendants agree to adjudicate your petition in 30 (60) days. State in your motion that according to the AUSA, your name check is done and this was the only unsolved issue (according to USCIS) before they can adjudicate your petition. State also that you waited already an unreasonably long time and USCIS already violated 1446, not adjudicating your petition in 120 days after the examination.

My guess is that you are safe, even if you decide to go with the 30 days extension proposed by AUSA, you most likely will get a decision before they need to file an answer to your complaint. Remember, by filing this motion by AUSA they just postponed the obligation to answer your complaint, if the 30 day extension is granted by the judge and passes, they still need to answer it. Now that they have your name check completed, they REALLY ran out even of that false argument that your examination is not done till the name check is not complete. Of course, following the same logic they may claim, that the 120 day clock started only after the namecheck was completed, but I strongly believe, that your case will be solved in the next 30 days.

hayyyoot said:
Please read below, I am really scared that my name check wasn't cleared or anything, and that the AUSA is trying to sweet talk me into remanding my case back to the USCIS so that they can put me on hold for another ten years, I have no proof that the AUSA said that the name check was cleared. it is a case of he said she said. what do you guys think?

AUSA can't and will not tell you something that is not true. As they represent the intrest of the US government, they bylaw, can not give you any information as an intent of deception (that would not go well with the Judge). AUSA however could be passing the information from USCIS which gave him inacurate information (As we all know, USCIS have represented lots of information to so many applicants that happened to be false).

hayyyoot said:

It is unlikely that the AUSA is a liar. But I certainly would call him/her and ask for a written proof that my background check is ready. You can use that as an exhibit in your opposition to their motion, requesting that the judge should remand the case back to USCIS with the precise timetable.

If we (and MORE important, the Judge) agree with USA v. Hovsepian, and with the statue, the District Court has sole jurisdiction on your case as soon as you filed the complaint. This means that USCIS can not act on your N-400, i.e., can't deny it or approve it. Based on this, there are only two ways to exit this impasse. Either you dismiss voluntarily the lawsuit (I would do it only if USCIS through AUSA agrees to include in the Proposal of Order that your case will be adjudicated in 30 days after the lawsuit is dismissed) or the judge orders a remand to USCIS. Here comes the important part: you should convince the Judge in your Opposition to the Defendant's Motion, to remand the case with specific timeline, i.e, adjudicate your case within 30 days, if not, the Court retakes jurisdiction. I still would call tomorrow the AUSA and propose to them this deal: you are filing a voluntary dismiss of your complaint if they agree to include the 30 days deadline for adjudication. If they don't agree, you should file the Opposition to the Defendant's Motion, stating that not YOU are asking for the 30 day extension and you motion for summary judgement with the order stipulating the 30 day deadline for the adjudication of your N-400, considering that they have your name check done. But it would be good to have a fax from AUSA, which proofs that you indeed have your background check ready.

I don't quite understand why the AUSA included in his motion that they request the 30 days extenstion because YOU the Plaintiff couln't make up your mind what to do. The Judge normally would grant them a 30 day extension even if you would oppose it.

Good luck!

Hello hayyyoot,
AUSA could be laying but chances are less. I like paz1960 second option better because you are brining your conversation with AUSA on record. Also, include all the hardship and suffering you went through due to this unexplainable lengthy process. You can get most of the material from your complain. Bottom line is that USCIS working on your process.
Good luck

hayyyoot said:

AUSA said name check complete

The information about the completion of the name check is most likely coming from FBI to AUSA, not from USCIS. There were cases reported on this forum, when Plaintiff had a faxed proof from AUSA that the name check was completed (AUSA received notification from FBI), USCIS still maintaned during the Infopass appointment that the name check is pending. I suspect that they need some time till the USCIS HQ updates the database (the FBI response to the name check goes to the USCIS Headquarters, not to the District Office who will ultimately adjudicate your case). If AUSA received the notification about the name check ready from FBI by fax, hayyyoot can request that copy from AUSA.

Do you have to file all proof of service together?

I listed 6 defendants in my 1447b. I only got back 3 out of 6 "green card" receipts.
Question: do I file the 3 proof-of-service (green cards) and download the other 3 from USPS website or should I wait for the other 3 stupid cards?
Thanks

LAmorocco said:
I listed 6 defendants in my 1447b. I only got back 3 out of 6 "green card" receipts.
Question: do I file the 3 proof-of-service (green cards) and download the other 3 from USPS website or should I wait for the other 3 stupid cards?
Thanks

I will certainly not wait untill I receive back the "green cards". I will print out the delivery notes from the USPS web page and with copies of the "green slips" and the Proof of Service from the back of the summonses I will file them with the Court. I got so far two delivery notification e-mails from USPS: the US Attorney's Office and the USCIS District Office received my summonses and complaints. The mail goes slower to Washington. And probably additional security measures further delay the delivery of these mails. But the clock is ticking, as today, when the US Attorney was served.