Anyone with a lawsuit against USCIS or thinking about a lawsuit (Merged)

I read the arguments and it is very inspiring and pretty good, I would say. There is only one thing I suggest you to check on. As I remember, the retrogression date has been 2000 on October 2005. So the claim of "the priority date has remained current for 39 months" may not be factual. You may want to revise on that one.

Just sent it out two hours ago. I should't rush. Hopefully it won't have a lot of negative impact.

Hello friends. I have got my green card as a result of the WOM lawsuit in October last year. Yesterday, I have got a letter from FBI M.Cannon that was re-sent to me by my Congressman. That letter is dated January 21,2008 and it says that my namecheck is still pending. So, 4 months ago my FBI namecheck was cleared and that FBI unit that is responsible for the answers to congressional inquiries still does not know about it!
How do you like it? And these people are protecting us from the terrorists!

Guys I just wanted to thank all the great helpful people at this forum. Little background about me. I filled my law suit about my citizenship due to pending name check last in Nov 2006 and after extensions, answers and sumons to FBI and USCIS I was finally about to get my law suit settled and naturalized citizen. You can find all my case info back in the forum.

My case was little unique because I filled law suit based on mandamus instead of 1447(b) because my interview was never scheduled. Any way I just had my AOS interview for my spouse (which was the main reason for applying citizenship) yesterday. It was piece of cake and every thing went well spouse got green card.

I can't say enough how thankful I am to this forum and helpful people here. I have tried to help as much people as I can too.

But hang in tight. I know for those who are in the process of fighting law suit it is very tough time going through the whole process specially of you who are Pro se litigant. You go through moments of high and low and anxiety runs high. God bless you all and trust me you all can do it too because many others have done it and they were successful.

Just stay focused and best approach is that take baby steps. Look for your next step prepare well and never stop learning. More resources you explore more educated and learned about process you get.

I am not upto speed about lawsuit because I am out of forum since last six months I am sure other great helpful people can shed light on how things are going in different districts. But I am here just to thank and encourage those who are still thinking about it that go fight for your rights. Most difficult step is your first step filling law suit once you are in it I am sure you will find your way out.

Good Luck.

Congratulations! If it is possible, plesae post your initial complaint without the personal info. I am trying to help someone who is in the same stiuation as you, I mean, N- 400 without interview. Please help if you can! Good luck to you!! and Good luck to all others on the forum!

I have got my green card as a result of the WOM lawsuit in October last year. Yesterday, I have got a letter from FBI M.Cannon that was re-sent to me by my Congressman. That letter is dated January 21,2008 and it says that my namecheck is still pending.

They must've started another, 'early bird' namecheck for you, in anticipation of your citizenship application 5 years from now. Knowing you, and your successful lawsuit experience, you know... Very smart of them!

Considering their current namechecking speed, you'll be all set just at the very moment ink dries on your N400 - in 2012. :cool:

other remedies

After filing WOM, can we still pursue other avenues like senator/congressman ?
would that be a problem as "other remedies still exist" ?
Recently, I got a call from my congressman's office in my email to them about Senator Levins Namecheck amendment.

wom_ri

Recently, I got a call from my congressman's office in my email to them about Senator Levins Namecheck amendment.

I think it is ok to do that. After I filed WOM, I fax Cannon (the director of FBI name check program) once a week, and I write to First Lady and Senator once a month. I don't know if WOM or other means worked, my name check was cleared on 12/13/07 ( i filed WOM on 9/27/07). But I wouldn't do it too freqently because it may be considered as a harassment of defendants?

Do you have the priority date problem in your lawsuit due to retrogression?

I do not think this counts as a remedy. Only the USCIS can expedite the name check or to adjudicate an application without one (see Oscar's post).

veryfree

Just sent it out two hours ago. I should't rush. Hopefully it won't have a lot of negative impact.

I think it would be all right. 39 months and 35 months are not so much of difference, it is still in a reasonable error bar. So don't worry about it. I hope you will get some good results soon.

I am interested in hearing the stories of people who have been subjected to INS or USCIS error and because of that, suffered extremely. I see there are a lot here but I am interested in collecting the most extreme stories. If you have a story where your case was treated very unfairly and you had no fault in it, it was due to USCIS error and you had hardship due to that and even though you tried to fix the situation, you did not get much attention and you and your family suffered, please contact me. I am preparing a document to present to the higher authorities. I do think it is time for a change in USCIS system. I see a lot of things done in an inhumane manner. People are being stressed out and their families, children as well are suffering. It is time USCIS takes responsibility. It is no excuse on their part if they think they are dealing with foreigners or numbers assigned to to these people...Please folks, contact me with your story..It is time to make a noise...

Justicerules45,
our I 485 were denied because USCIS erred in the matter of law in finding us inadmissible. We applied to the Congressman, AILA liaison, filed a motic - to no avail. Finally we filed a complaint in civil court under the APA. On Oct. 1, 2007 the summons were served on Director of Nebraska center, on Oct. 11 he finally saw the error and approved the petitions, but we are now stuck in the name check as the USCIS refuses to to send a request for expedite processing to the FBI.

retrogression

Yes. I do have the priority date problem now. I have not received any confirmation that my namecheck is done yet. I also filed a motion for leave to file amended complaint. AUSA told me that he will oppose it on the same grounds as his MTD. Now, the judge has cancelled the pre-trial conference scheduled for Feb 4. The clerk told me that Judge has to rule on the existing MTD before the conference. I think very soon I will get an opinion on the case. With a lone preceding case in favor of USCIS, I am mentally ready to file an appeal. I only hope that if I file an appeal, it is ruled upon before Oct 1st and we will know 1st circuit court opinion on this issue. I am sick of hearing AUSA arguments based on safadi & grinberg & qiu.
BTW, the congressmans office merely repeated the known truth.. i.e.. only USCIS can expedite :(
I think it is ok to do that. After I filed WOM, I fax Cannon (the director of FBI name check program) once a week, and I write to First Lady and Senator once a month. I don't know if WOM or other means worked, my name check was cleared on 12/13/07 ( i filed WOM on 9/27/07). But I wouldn't do it too freqently because it may be considered as a harassment of defendants?

Do you have the priority date problem in your lawsuit due to retrogression?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes. I do have the priority date problem now. I have not received any confirmation that my namecheck is done yet. I also filed a motion for leave to file amended complaint. AUSA told me that he will oppose it on the same grounds as his MTD. Now, the judge has cancelled the pre-trial conference scheduled for Feb 4. The clerk told me that Judge has to rule on the existing MTD before the conference. I think very soon I will get an opinion on the case. With a lone preceding case in favor of USCIS, I am mentally ready to file an appeal. I only hope that if I file an appeal, it is ruled upon before Oct 1st and we will know 1st circuit court opinion on this issue. I am sick of hearing AUSA arguments based on safadi & grinberg & qiu.
BTW, the congressmans office merely repeated the known truth.. i.e.. only USCIS can expedite :(

I am in contact with another appellant in the 1st Cir so you won't be alone. It would be nice to get a positive opinion though in your case. I also hope 11th Cir will rule on Grinberg soon.

wom_ri

I think the most efficient way is to write to the first lady and fax FBI (Cannon). From another immigration forum, I know a Chinese guy who write a letter to FBI and First Lady everyday. Then after 2 months or so, some one from FBI called him and told him that they will expedite his name check and have it done by 2 months. But the difference is that he didn't file a lawsuit against them.
If I were you, I would try to fax or write to FBI name check program once a month or once a week. It may be helpful. And all you can lose is some postage on that.

A little bit off subject, but here is another proof of the "pattern of deliberate lies" by the USCIS:
http://immigrationvoice.org/forum/showthread.php?t=16958#post218250

What the guy says on immigrationvoice.org is absolutely true. AILA (recent postings section) grabs the processing time when they are posted and keeps a record of them on their website. If you compare what they have with the USCIS website, they have changed the dates after publication for some benefits.

Example:
NSC website:
I-131 Application for Travel Document Permanent resident applying for a re-entry permit June 08, 2007

On AILA website:
I-131 Application for Travel Document Permanent resident applying for a re-entry permit July 24, 2007

That's almost two months !!!

A very interesting read indeed!

http://www.bibdaily.com/pdfs/Mocanu 1-25-08.pdf

Judge questions FBI name check program
"[T]he Court discerns an underlying legal issue as to the propriety and authority of USCIS to require an FBI name check." Mocanu v. Mueller, E.D. Penn., Jan. 25, 2008.

"Thus, the principal legal question is whether USCIS can properly require a name check for all naturalization applicants [*19] without any Congressional statute, authorization or rule promulgation within its own agency -- particularly where the name check process for Plaintiffs is taking several years for completion, and information as to the completion date or reason for the delay is unavailable."

Well said, judge Baylson. Only isn't the same should be true for LPR applicants as well?
It is interesting that the judge also prohibited the government to moot all cases. Looks like the USCIS is in a big trouble.

I vaguely remembered the rule for RD of transferred cases, such as an I-485 transferred from VSC to TSC. An RD of I-485 at VSC will be treated (for processing purposes) the same as cases filed at TSC on the same date.

Is it correct? I could not find any info about it. I might need tis for arguments. Could anybody post a link? Thanks.

It's simple. Transfer to another service center does not change received date on I-485, does it? No additional arguments required, just attach your I-485 receipt notice.