Anyone with a lawsuit against USCIS or thinking about a lawsuit (Merged)

syt said:
Buggin, Eastbayer, Mr LA, and Zoromark,

Thanks a lot for your reply. I just download "Civil Cover Sheet - JS 44" and "Civil Summons - AO 440". Are these forms correct for Northern California District? I saw some one mention "Civil Cover Sheet" here for other District Court. Do we need to hand in "Civil Cover Sheet" for northern California?

So, at the day filing 1447(b), I need to bring 10 copies of petitions (prepare in MS Word by myself), Civil Summons (fill by myself in advance, one for each defendants and DA, so 6 copies), and one (only one) Civil Cover Sheet (fill by myself in advance for District Court).

Is this correct?

Regards,
syt

Syt, i hope this help you just change/ add some informations...
what is your District Court ?

i wish you the best .

Last edited by a moderator:
cuties said:
Hello all,

Thank you to all for helping and caring so much, and congret. to everyone whose case have been approved.

I got a big fat concern (again!) Today is the deadline for the 60 days peroid with the WOM. Yet, no one call about dismissing the case. I call the court on the date that I received the approval latter and left the message for the Us. Att. asistant. As of today she had yet replied.

Could my Att. dismiss the case with out me?

Thank you and good luck to all,
~C
if your case is approved, let them worry aboyr the rest, if not file a memo, for summary/default judgement

kabi24 said:
Hey Everyone,
Today i returned the summons receipts to the court, i also called the US attorney's office, But nobdy picked up. not even an answering machine :eek:
So on the web i found an email of the Public Affairs Officer, i sent an email and got an answer back about 20 minutes later. It looks like nobody took a look at it yet and it's been about 10 days (i thought they get right on it) :cool: . I am keeping the pressure. anyways here's her reply
Mr. XXXXX, the case just arrived and has not yet been assigned. The head of the civil division will let me know when it has been assigned and I can then forward your email to that attorney. Our main phone number is 206-553-7970. It is usually answered quite promptly. Perhaps there was a heavy volume of calls.
Thank you for your inquiry.
Emily Langlie
Public Affairs Officer
United States Attorney's Office

I am sure we have fast life here in Los Angeles Area ;)

syt said:
Buggin and Mr LA,

Thanks a lot. :)

syt

Syt, you are more then welcome.
We are here for 1 reason, to help each other in anyway we can. Someone helped me before I help you .

zoromark said:
(7) then on 5/2/2006, a secretary in Attorney office (SF) called me..... it's all done! She asked me if I know how to dismiss, I said I don't know. She then faxed me the template to dismiss, and agreed to let me dismiss after I received formal letter from CIS.
Congratulations, Zoromark!!!
Thank you for sharing your experience with us and best wishes to you.
------------------------
4/16/05 - N-400 receipt date
8/4/05 - Fingerprinting date
10/5/05 - Interview date (passed; pending the FBI background check)
5/30/06 – 1447(b) Petition filed
5/30/06 - US Attorney is served
6/30/06 – Will call the U.S. Attorney
7/31/06 – Defendants’ Answer is due

This thread is on steroid, growing too fast:)

Eastbayer said:
:rolleyes: I will update my statues as soon as I can, so that tough guys/girls like Balto won't complain again :) .
Ha, for that, I hold you contempt and sentence you to 2 months' community service or until you get your approval. :D :D :D

Good luck to all!

Balto

Letter received from local US Attorney

Dear all,

I received a letter from US Attorney today asking me to dismiss my case, attached with a copy of my I-485 application form stamped with "Approved".

The letter says:

Dear Mr. xxxx,

The Department of Homeland Security reported to me today that your application was approved on May 25, 2006. Enclosed please find a copy of the approval faxed to me today. I am writing to obtain your consent to terminate this case.

Upon receipt of the original document from Department of homeland security approving your status, kindly sign the enclosed consent order terminating this civil action. This will enable the court to close the case without further action by either of us. As you may be aware, our courts are also stressed with many filings. If i have not received a signed copy of this order back from you by June 10, I will file a motion to dismiss the case.

By copy of this letter, I am notifying the court of the approval of your application. I am also sending a copy to the Honorable XXXX XXXXXX noting that the government agrees that your initial filing should be under seal.

I hope that you and your wife are now able to plan for your future in this country.

Best wishes,

XXXXXX X XXXXXXXXX

United States Attorney

By XXXXX XXXXXXXXXXX
Assistant US Attorney

The Consent Order says:

Whereas the Plaintiff's Application to Adjust Status was approved on May 25, 2006 and no further relief was sought by way of complaint,

It is on this ____ Day ____________, 2006

ORDER that this matter is dismissed with prejudice.

HONORABLE XXXXXX X XXXXXXXX
UNITED STATES DISTRICT JUDGE

The undersigned consent to the form and entry of this order.

XXXXXXX XXXXX XXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXX
Plaintiff United States Attorney

What I would do is:

1. Call the assistant US attorney tomorrow and ask her to change the wording from "with" to "without" prejudice;

2. Tell her that I will wait until I receive the physical card, in the mean time, if it passes June 10, she can either file an extension, or motion to dismiss the case, whichever she decides. Only after I receive the physical card, I will dismiss my case.

What do you guys think? Is there anything else I should be aware on this matter?

Mohamed, Suzy, RealSuperK and other great comrades, you think my plan is okay? Maybe I should suggest the US attorney to file an 30-day extension? I haven't received the approval notice yet till today. One thing I am sure is, no matter what, before I receive the actuall card, I would never dismiss my case. The USCIS is never trustworthy.

pharmboy said:
Dear all,

I received a letter from US Attorney today asking me to dismiss my case, attached with a copy of my I-485 application form stamped with "Approved".

The letter says:

Dear Mr. xxxx,

The Department of Homeland Security reported to me today that your application was approved on May 25, 2006. Enclosed please find a copy of the approval faxed to me today. I am writing to obtain your consent to terminate this case.

Upon receipt of the original document from Department of homeland security approving your status, kindly sign the enclosed consent order terminating this civil action. This will enable the court to close the case without further action by either of us. As you may be aware, our courts are also stressed with many filings. If i have not received a signed copy of this order back from you by June 10, I will file a motion to dismiss the case.

By copy of this letter, I am notifying the court of the approval of your application. I am also sending a copy to the Honorable XXXX XXXXXX noting that the government agrees that your initial filing should be under seal.

I hope that you and your wife are now able to plan for your future in this country.

Best wishes,

XXXXXX X XXXXXXXXX

United States Attorney

By XXXXX XXXXXXXXXXX
Assistant US Attorney

The Consent Order says:

Whereas the Plaintiff's Application to Adjust Status was approved on May 25, 2006 and no further relief was sought by way of complaint,

It is on this ____ Day ____________, 2006

ORDER that this matter is dismissed with prejudice.

HONORABLE XXXXXX X XXXXXXXX
UNITED STATES DISTRICT JUDGE

The undersigned consent to the form and entry of this order.

XXXXXXX XXXXX XXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXX
Plaintiff United States Attorney

What I would do is:

1. Call the assistant US attorney tomorrow and ask her to change the wording from "with" to "without" prejudice;

2. Tell her that I will wait until I receive the physical card, in the mean time, if it passes June 10, she can either file an extension, or motion to dismiss the case, whichever she decides. Only after I receive the physical card, I will dismiss my case.

What do you guys think? Is there anything else I should be aware on this matter?

The US Attorney doesn't lie, s/he is not USCIS ;)

What I'll try to do, if I were you, I'll just change with prejudice with without prejudice.

That's all.

cuties said:
Hello all,

Thank you to all for helping and caring so much, and congret. to everyone whose case have been approved.

I got a big fat concern (again!) Today is the deadline for the 60 days peroid with the WOM. Yet, no one call about dismissing the case. I call the court on the date that I received the approval latter and left the message for the Us. Att. asistant. As of today she had yet replied.

Could my Att. dismiss the case with out me?

Thank you and good luck to all,
~C

Cutie, do not worry about this issue.
If you want you can just ignore the litigation from now.
As far as you're concern, the worst can happen, you'll lose by default...but you already got what you wanted.

The bad aspect of this, what I can see, is that if you'll lose, you case will go in to the records as a case "won" :eek: by USCIS and my give some ammunition to the US Attorneys to argue in the future litigations...and you'll break the excellent record we have here against USCIS ;)

By the way guys, what's the score now???

USCIS ( 0 ) - We/you the Plaintiffs (30 ) maybe 40 or...50 :D :D :D

hadenuf said:
Hi my I-485 is with the california service center and I live in the bay area.How do I find out which court I need to file my case with??.Does it fall under the ninth circuit court??

Thanks

Hi,

Buggin is right, Ninth Circuit is Court of Appeals, which you will go to if you lose your case in District Court (am I right?).... :)

You are under the big umberella of Ninth Circuit, but you need to go to District Court, which is District Court of Northern CA. http://www.cand.uscourts.gov/.

They have 3 locations, SF, San Jose as Oakland. Buggin explained very well.
Since I am close to San Jose, so I just went there. I am not sure of yours, but you can certainly try Buggin's suggestion, or just call up the court clerk and ask.

It may not matter too much -- you are not expected to meet the judge in person :)

Good luck to you all.

zoromark.

buggin said:
Congratulations, Zoromark!!!
Thank you for sharing your experience with us and best wishes to you.

Thanks! I believe you will be able to get your case done! The US Attorney in SF sounds OK....

Good luck!

syt said:
Buggin, Eastbayer, Mr LA, and Zoromark,

Thanks a lot for your reply. I just download "Civil Cover Sheet - JS 44" and "Civil Summons - AO 440". Are these forms correct for Northern California District? I saw some one mention "Civil Cover Sheet" here for other District Court. Do we need to hand in "Civil Cover Sheet" for northern California?

So, at the day filing 1447(b), I need to bring 10 copies of petitions (prepare in MS Word by myself), Civil Summons (fill by myself in advance, one for each defendants and DA, so 6 copies), and one (only one) Civil Cover Sheet (fill by myself in advance for District Court).

Is this correct?

Regards,
syt

I filed for my 485 not 1447(b).
I brought serveral copies of the complaint, but it turns out 3 is enough. Because they will give a stamped one (on the cover sheet) and you will make copies of the rest (with the stamped cover sheet) and serve the defendant/attorney later.

ONE summon only. You just need to print ALL the names (defendants/attorney) on one summon sheet, and the clerk will stamp on this sheet. Use the same sheet to server everyone.

Of course, as Buggin said, always keep extra copy for yourself, including summon and cover sheet.

They. Are. So. Weird

Hi Guys.

So

On April 29th, out of hopeless courtesy, I sent out an intent to sue letter to USCIS, DHS, US Attorney General, and DHS counsel, giving them 30 days, with a draft complaint.

I filed my 1447(b) this past Friday, the 26th, in LA, thinking, no response has been forthcoming and next business day is the 30th.

(Somewhat humorous experience, I thought "bluebacked" meant documents bound in blue folders; I haggled with the Staples people to sell me 3 of the stupid folders instead of a whole box. Also, I drafted a nice cover letter that was so unnecessary it was returned.)

Anyway, I filed in person and the clerk was a cool soothing balm of a civil servant, in contrast to the CIS folks. Filing took about 40 minutes in all. It is correct, there is no fee in LA. Don't know why. Maybe they know we've all already paid useless lawyers etc.

So, Saturday the 27th, I sent copies of the complaint and summons to the defendants.

Today, I had a panic attack because I did not list the local US district attorney as a party of interest, but the local office of the US attorney general!!

So I drafted a makeshift amendment with an original and amended "notice to interested parties", ready to send to all defendants, their counsel, and the court.

I get home and there is my oath letter, for June 16th, dated May 26th, postmarked May 30th.

I cried and made a few toasts with mu husband before the paranoia came back...

?

I am assuming this was the result of my intent to sue letter.

But where does that leave my filed lawsuit?

Can they (USCIS) disinvite me from my oath ceremony?

I considered dismissing my case, but can't find the correct form to do so.

Then, I am wary of dismissing my case, because I do not trust CIS' modus operandi.

So, right now, I have decided to leave my complaint as is, not update anything, etc. and wait.

Can a plaintiff make a motion to dimiss his/her case? If so, is there a specific form?

The other thing that genuinely bothers me is that I do not want to clog up the court system with an extraneous complaint.

I am looking at the following course: going to work, preparing for my wedding on June 17th (!), going to my oath ceremony on June 16th, and then personally going back to the pro se unit at the court house to ask how I can dismiss my case.

Comments? Thoughts? Suggestions?

And...thanks so much to all.

Gosh, I wish I could celebrate already!!!

femme said:
Hi Guys.

So

On April 29th, out of hopeless courtesy, I sent out an intent to sue letter to USCIS, DHS, US Attorney General, and DHS counsel, giving them 30 days, with a draft complaint.

I filed my 1447(b) this past Friday, the 26th, in LA, thinking, no response has been forthcoming and next business day is the 30th.

(Somewhat humorous experience, I thought "bluebacked" meant documents bound in blue folders; I haggled with the Staples people to sell me 3 of the stupid folders instead of a whole box. Also, I drafted a nice cover letter that was so unnecessary it was returned.)

Anyway, I filed in person and the clerk was a cool soothing balm of a civil servant, in contrast to the CIS folks. Filing took about 40 minutes in all. It is correct, there is no fee in LA. Don't know why. Maybe they know we've all already paid useless lawyers etc.

So, Saturday the 27th, I sent copies of the complaint and summons to the defendants.

Today, I had a panic attack because I did not list the local US district attorney as a party of interest, but the local office of the US attorney general!!

So I drafted a makeshift amendment with an original and amended "notice to interested parties", ready to send to all defendants, their counsel, and the court.

I get home and there is my oath letter, for June 16th, dated May 26th, postmarked May 30th.

I cried and made a few toasts with mu husband before the paranoia came back...

?

I am assuming this was the result of my intent to sue letter.

But where does that leave my filed lawsuit?

Can they (USCIS) disinvite me from my oath ceremony?

I considered dismissing my case, but can't find the correct form to do so.

Then, I am wary of dismissing my case, because I do not trust CIS' modus operandi.

So, right now, I have decided to leave my complaint as is, not update anything, etc. and wait.

Can a plaintiff make a motion to dimiss his/her case? If so, is there a specific form?

The other thing that genuinely bothers me is that I do not want to clog up the court system with an extraneous complaint.

I am looking at the following course: going to work, preparing for my wedding on June 17th (!), going to my oath ceremony on June 16th, and then personally going back to the pro se unit at the court house to ask how I can dismiss my case.

Comments? Thoughts? Suggestions?

And...thanks so much to all.

Gosh, I wish I could celebrate already!!!

Just go to your Oath, and after that you'll take it from there.

Don't waste your time and energy before then on this matter.

CONGRATULATION
:)

Suzy977 said:
Just go to your Oath, and after that you'll take it from there.

Don't waste your time and energy before then on this matter.

CONGRATULATION
:)
i apleased to se there was a lot of good new today, on this thread, it is a very good progress.
i agree with Suzy, as long they didnt ask for you to dismiss your cases(which they might still do before your oath) you can just leave it as it, but when they do asl to do that, you can dismiss without prejudice( as suzy always says) you have your oath oppointment, which the equivelant of final naturalization.

phamboy

Enclosed please find a copy of the approval faxed to me today. I am writing to obtain your consent to terminate this case.
if you really have received a faxed copy of the approval letter, you can do the same too.
good luck everyone

can any one post an intent-to-sue template?

can any gurus post an intent-to-sue template? I would want to
use this as a hopeless courtesey as well.

rob

ohh shit

I forgot to put the name of the us attorney on the list of interested parties. is that ok??????? if I ammend it, will 60 day clock restart from zero again