Anyone with a lawsuit against USCIS or thinking about a lawsuit (Merged)

AGC4ME and lazycis,

Thank you for the advice. I talked to my lawyer about filing motion to expedite judge's ruling since I have nothing to hide, my record is clean, my lawyer's advice is till wait since whatever motion we file, the judge's going to take his time to rule.

I tend to agree, a party can move for MSJ at any time. The only problem here is that a moving party have to show that there is no genuine issues of fact. If defendants did not dispute any relevant facts in MTD, I'd filed MSJ.

Dear Lazycis,

i run into Yu's case Yu v. Chertoff, case No. CV 07-00640 DDP (RCx) at 6-7, (C. D. Cal. July 20, 2007) and confuse the meaning of "However, courts may not weigh such evidence when issues of jurisdiction and substance are intertwined. Here, the reasonableness of defendants’ delay is both a substantive and jurisdictional question (notably, defendants have styled their motion as a motion to dismiss for lack of jurisdiction and failure to state a claim). According, it would be inappropriate for this Court to find that Defendants’ declarations necessarily prove that this court lack jusridictionan to hear Plaintiffs’ case.”

I really appreciate if you can help me to interpret this, thanks.

Joyeia

It appears that some district courts that have adopted Defendants’ reasoning relied in part on the declarations of various government officials outlining the process for reviewing I-485 applications and stating that they are processing the applications as quickly as possible. See, e.g., Israyelyan v. Gonzales at 16, CV 06-8114 SVW (VBKx) 2007 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 59035 (C. D. Cal. June 21, 2007); Jiuru Hu v. Chertoff, Case No. CIV S-06-2805 (WBS EFB), 2007, U.S. Dist. Lexis 40489 (E.D. Cal. May 21 2007). In the instant case, Defendants have filed similar declarations, which they believe established that any delay in adjudicating plaintiffs’ I-485 application is not due to any inaction on their part. (McMahon Decl., at 14). Thus, Defendants contend, they have proven the reasonableness of their efforts and, as long as they continue to make such efforts, the pace of their review is discretionary. As addressed by court in Yu’s case: “it is true that courts generally may consider defendants’ extrinsic evidence in evaluating the merits of jurisdictional motions to dismiss. See, e.g. Roberts v. Corrothers, 812 F. 2d 1173, 1177 (9th Cir. 1987). Id. However, courts may not weigh such evidence when issues of jurisdiction and substance are intertwined. Here, the reasonableness of defendants’ delay is both a substantive and jurisdictional question (notably, defendants have styled their motion as a motion to dismiss for lack of jurisdiction and failure to state a claim). According, it would be inappropriate for this Court to find that Defendants’ declarations necessarily prove that this court lack jusridictionan to hear Plaintiffs’ case.” Yu v. Chertoff, case No. CV 07-00640 DDP (RCx) at 6-7, (C. D. Cal. July 20, 2007).

QUOTE=lazycis;1765294]Great find, AGC4ME. I'll definitely use it in my brief.[/QUOTE]

comment on your brief so far

I am working on # 3 but it's not ready yet. Just wanted to do some work in parallel :)

The first 2 arguments look pretty solid to me at this point. And I'm glad to see that you've incorporated Chevron deference in your 2nd argument. You're planning on using that again to counter their claim of no specific timeframe, I assume? I used it to counter defendants' claim that the 180-day [8 U.S.C. § 1571(b)] "sense of Congress" as "non-binding". Here's the quote from the Chevron case:

When a court reviews an agency’s construction of a statute which it administers, it is the end of the matter if the intent of the Congress is clear since the court, as well as the agency, must give effect to the unambiguously expressed intent of Congress.

The fact that this comes from Supreme Court, the highest court of the land, should give it some weight.

I have been a silent reader of this forum for a while, which helped me to make the decision to go with WOM for my stalled 485. Now I just want to share my good news to thank this forum. Hope it help at least who are in the process of fighting FBI and USCIS.

PD. Feb.2004
I485 RD June 2005
WOM filed Jan.2007
MTD March 2007
Opposition to MTD April 2007
NC expedite requested by US Attorney at the beginning of Aug.2007
I485 AD Aug.16, 2007

In some of the MSJ's I see that they have a date and time on which an hearing can be had on it. In these instances do the filers confer with the court before they file the MSJ ? I don't see in their scheduling conferences where these dates are set. Aboushaban had a date and time for hearing. Wondering how this date is set.

Check your local rule. It's specified in the local rule for how to set that date. If that is not specificed in the local rule, check with the court clerk.

published opinion definition

What is the definition of a published opinion? Is being able to download an opinion from PACER free of charge a sufficient criteria?

On another sad note, the fourth MTD was granted in ED Michigan and one of them is actually by the district chief judge.

Check your local rule. It's specified in the local rule for how to set that date. If that is not specificed in the local rule, check with the court clerk.

I have read the LRs for Oregon (its on their website). It specifies how an MSJ should be structured. Other than that it doesn't talk about setting any date. FRCP says MSJ can be filed by Plaintiff 20 days after the complaint is filed. still clueless.

I have been a silent reader of this forum for a while, which helped me to make the decision to go with WOM for my stalled 485. Now I just want to share my good news to thank this forum. Hope it help at least who are in the process of fighting FBI and USCIS.

PD. Feb.2004
I485 RD June 2005
WOM filed Jan.2007
MTD March 2007
Opposition to MTD April 2007
NC expedite requested by US Attorney at the beginning of Aug.2007
I485 AD Aug.16, 2007

Congrats !! Did you go through MTD and did you court deny MTD ?

congrats

Congratulations to shvili, lotechguy, and Roy2001 !!!!
i am very happy for you, especiallt that u guys helped me and many others in this forum !!!!
good luck for the rest of us...

I have read the LRs for Oregon (its on their website). It specifies how an MSJ should be structured. Other than that it doesn't talk about setting any date. FRCP says MSJ can be filed by Plaintiff 20 days after the complaint is filed. still clueless.

FRCP governs only when you can file for MSJ. The date on the actual motion brief is set by the moving party per the guidelines set in the local rules. Unless there's a scheduling order from the court, the moving party has the freedom to pick the noting/hearing date.

Apparently, Oregon has it somewhat differently. Here's the timetable for Oregon (http://ord.uscourts.gov/Rules/2006/AppendixofForms/F5_TimeTableforLawyers.pdf). In there, you'll find how many days an attorney should give the court or the non-moving party lead time in a number of situations. In other words, it sets the minimum time you should allow when setting your noting/hearing date. If you want to speed things up, you would set the time window to be as small as possible. But, if you want to be a little nicer, you'll set the time window to be a bit bigger. Or you can talk with the AUSA to set a date that's workable for both.

Although, on second reading of this timetable thing, it's still not particularly clear. It's really weird.:confused: :( Hmmm, I can't believe there's no consistency from district court to district court. Oh well, sometimes, it's more efficient to just call the clerk. They are usually very nice about these matters. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll try

Dear Lazycis,

I really appreciate if you can help me to interpret this, thanks.

Joyeia

It appears that some district courts that have adopted Defendants’ reasoning relied in part on the declarations of various government officials outlining the process for reviewing I-485 applications and stating that they are processing the applications as quickly as possible. See, e.g., Israyelyan v. Gonzales at 16, CV 06-8114 SVW (VBKx) 2007 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 59035 (C. D. Cal. June 21, 2007); Jiuru Hu v. Chertoff, Case No. CIV S-06-2805 (WBS EFB), 2007, U.S. Dist. Lexis 40489 (E.D. Cal. May 21 2007). In the instant case, Defendants have filed similar declarations, which they believe established that any delay in adjudicating plaintiffs’ I-485 application is not due to any inaction on their part. (McMahon Decl., at 14). Thus, Defendants contend, they have proven the reasonableness of their efforts and, as long as they continue to make such efforts, the pace of their review is discretionary. As addressed by court in Yu’s case: “it is true that courts generally may consider defendants’ extrinsic evidence in evaluating the merits of jurisdictional motions to dismiss. See, e.g. Roberts v. Corrothers, 812 F. 2d 1173, 1177 (9th Cir. 1987). Id. However, courts may not weigh such evidence when issues of jurisdiction and substance are intertwined. Here, the reasonableness of defendants’ delay is both a substantive and jurisdictional question (notably, defendants have styled their motion as a motion to dismiss for lack of jurisdiction and failure to state a claim). According, it would be inappropriate for this Court to find that Defendants’ declarations necessarily prove that this court lack jusridictionan to hear Plaintiffs’ case.” Yu v. Chertoff, case No. CV 07-00640 DDP (RCx) at 6-7, (C. D. Cal. July 20, 2007).

Joyeia,
That's a good question. Indeed, the court can review the matter outside the pleadings (i.e. FBI affidavits, etc.) only 1) when it considers motion to dismiss for lack of subject matter under rule 12(b)(1) and 2) when such matter is not related to the underlying cause of action. Because, in our cases, the cause of action is unreasonable delay, the court cannot review any government affidavits that are trying to prove that delay is reasonable. In that case, the court is forced to review motion to dismiss under failure to state a claim (rule 12(b)(6)) standard or MSJ (rule 56) standard. 12(b)(6) standard does not allow court to consider matter outside of pleading, court has to accept plaintiff allegation as true and reject MTD if plaintiff's claim is beyond reasonable doubt. Rule 56 allows court to rule based on undisputed facts only so we have the same result. That's how the judge came to the conclusion in Yu v. Chertoff.
Read this case if you are interested, it discussed the issue in great detail.
Morrison v. Amway Corporation, 323 F.3d 920 (11th Cir. 2003)
http://www.ca11.uscourts.gov/opinions/ops/200315340.pdf

what is the difference between published and unpublished opinion

What is the definition of a published opinion? Is being able to download an opinion from PACER free of charge a sufficient criteria?

On another sad note, the fourth MTD was granted in ED Michigan and one of them is actually by the district chief judge.

No, the published opinions are those that are selected for publication in the Federal Supplement. Opinions of the district courts are published in the Federal Supplement and opinions of the U.S. Courts of Appeals are published officially in books called the Federal Reporter. Only selected opinions from district court are selected and only a couple opinions denying MTD were published, in contrast with several opinions denying MTD. The easiest way to find out whether opinion is published is to sign up to westlaw by credit card. It has a free search for opinions and if citation has F. Supp. in it, it means the district court opinion is published.

Now we come to the question about citing unpublished opinions. SLIS correctly pointed to local rules. It's not a big deal usually to cite unpublished opinions during district cout action. It is very important during appeal, however, because appelate courts generally do not consider unpublished opinions as the proper authority. It does not mean that you cannot cite it, but such citations should be cut down to a minimum.

Xiaocao asked about a possibility to use the fact that many cases were resolved within 60 days because USCIS requested expedite and FBI completed NC quickly. That's a valid point to use in appeal, because it helps to prove that the delay is not reasonable as a matter of law. AGC4ME posted a recent case from CAED where this issue is being discussed.

"Xiaocao asked about a possibility to use the fact that many cases were resolved within 60 days because USCIS requested expedite and FBI completed NC quickly. That's a valid point to use in appeal, because it helps to prove that the delay is not reasonable as a matter of law. AGC4ME posted a recent case from CAED where this issue is being discussed.[/QUOTE]"

Thank you very much, Lazycis.
Xiaocao

You're very welcome! We all try to help each other out as best we can.
Lazycis, AGC4ME, and other members, what are your thoughts on citing unpublished cases?

Thank you very much for sharing your experience and for your suggestions. I will pay close attention on this point.

Xiaocao

feedback

Friends,
As the deadline for my reply brief approaching fast, I am asking you to take a look at my incomplete draft and give your feedback. You can use "Track changes" feature in MS Word to highlight your changes/comments.
Thanks in advance,
LazyCIS

I read your brief, even though I'm not nearly as knowledgeable as others to give any feedback. I think you did a great job: brief is clear and convincing. I like the numerous citations from the same Circuit rulings and the supreme court. You've used the most effective paragraphs of the reasonings, which has been discussed in this forum (like duty with end-date of eternity is not a duty).
I definitely add this work to my list. Sorry, cannot provide any constructive criticism on the matter.

Shvili and lotechguy,

Congratulations to both of you for your hard fought sweet victory! Seems Nat-n cases are in so much better shape than AOS. I'm still waiting judge to rule on MTD and it's been more than 4 months since my OPP to MTD filed through my lawyer. I think my case (AOS) is one of the oldest here, and AUSA said he has requested NC expedition several months ago and my lawyer advises to still wait. I don't know what I can do to speed it up, very distressed.
Do not give up and try not to be upset. You have a lawyer you trust (presumably) and pay for his/her services. As far as I know the lawyers tend to manage and distribute their workload to maximize their financial yield. Your lawyer probably has quite a few cases he is working on in parallel and decided to see if yours can be resolved simply by waiting. May be 4 months is a good time to start pushing him/her a little. I would request him to prepare a motion for discovery and subpoena USCIS and FBI to produce your case-related documents. Your lawyer should know how to proceed and you can also find good info in this forum regarding discovery scenarios to be able to track your lawyer’s progress.

Best of luck,
snorlax

SF bay area lawyer referal

Can someone refer me to a good lawyer who has experience filing and winning these WOM lawsuits? I live in San Jose, CA.

I applaud those who are doing everything by themselves. I learned a lot from this forum, and have decided to hire professional help. I called the local county bar associations for a lawyer referal, but it seems that most immigration lawyers don't know or don't want to do WOM suits. Thanks.

Snorlax,
Thank you for your encouragement and suggestions. I have proposed exactly those steps, but my lawyer strongly disagree and insist waiting on the ruling and my lawyer told that more than50% MTD across the country have been granted rather than denied, it's better to proceed carefully. That's why I don't know if it is bold to go ahead push for MSJ as AGC4ME and other members suggested or push to do the discovery as you suggested, or just simply wait.

Sometimes I wonder why we file WOM, we hope to resolve the unreasonable delay by law since we believe law is on our side. But now after filing and waiting for 7 months, it seems this WOM is really another waiting game.

Do not give up and try not to be upset. You have a lawyer you trust (presumably) and pay for his/her services. As far as I know the lawyers tend to manage and distribute their workload to maximize their financial yield. Your lawyer probably has quite a few cases he is working on in parallel and decided to see if yours can be resolved simply by waiting. May be 4 months is a good time to start pushing him/her a little. I would request him to prepare a motion for discovery and subpoena USCIS and FBI to produce your case-related documents. Your lawyer should know how to proceed and you can also find good info in this forum regarding discovery scenarios to be able to track your lawyer’s progress.

Best of luck,
snorlax

Can someone refer me to a good lawyer who has experience filing and winning these WOM lawsuits? I live in San Jose, CA.

I applaud those who are doing everything by themselves. I learned a lot from this forum, and have decided to hire professional help. I called the local county bar associations for a lawyer referal, but it seems that most immigration lawyers don't know or don't want to do WOM suits. Thanks.

Justin Fok is a name I have seen in quite a few lawsuits.
Justin Fok, Esq., CSB#242272
Law Offices of Jean D. Chen
2107 N. 1st Street, #300
San Jose, CA 95131
Telephone: (408) 437-1788
Facsimile: (408) 437-9788
Email: jfok@jclawoffice.com